Independence for Scotland Party

fatshaft

Big article here about tactical voting on the list vote here. Have to admit I scrolled down to the conclusion.

So, independence supporters, let common sense prevail:
If you vote for a no-hoper fringe list party (with no consistent polling showing a bare minimum of 5% support), your vote is 100% guaranteed to be wasted, and will contribute nothing to electing pro-independence MSPs. Not only that, it may even deprive SNP or Greens of seats they could have won with your support.
Therefore, in the list, if you truly want to further the cause of independence, you have to vote SNP or Green.

I'll be relying on finding a big brain person to tell me whether my list vote should go to the Greens, but if in doubt I'll be going SNP/SNP.

https://listvotesense.medium.com/tactical-voting-in-the-scottish-parliament-election-a-mass-delusion-deconstructed-ceb65e64754e

Edited by welshbairn

8 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Just vote for the parties whose policies you like tbh.

Doesnt want people to vote type post^^^^

I like some aspects of SNP policy, I like their Selma killing policy but i dont like their Bart killing policy. I also dislike their ‘shaft the constituents in Derek Mckay’s constituency because he’s a creep’ policy. 

I would vote green but Ross Greer is my list candidate and I verge from loathing him to mild dislike then once he dipped into good guy with the whole Piers Morgan thing. 

Constituency vote will be SNP.
I have yet to decide whether list vote will be the same, or green. Need to do a bit of research as to which will be the best for pro - independence majority.
Any help would be appreciated (reside in North Perthshire).

I vote 1. SNP 2. Greens at Scottish Parliament elections and Greens at Westminster elections - in terms of the latter this is down to my MP being  Patrick Grady (Glasgow North). 

My Westminster voting preference solely arises from me writing to him shortly after he was elected and asking him if he was going to take a recently announced pay rise in line with that put forward by IPSA. He had campaigned on a ticket of being a breath of fresh air at Westminster amongst the establishment (as well as of course a push for indy). In writing to him I suggested that if MPs have no option but to take the salary increase, in these times of hard austerity maybe the SNP collectively or individually could make a show of donating the increase to local food banks. 

He responded by telling me I would probably appreciate that what individuals did with their salary was a personal matter and if I wanted to help charitable causes he had a range of merchandise he sold from his website, 

he struck me as a real gravy train individual and nothing I have seen from him to date suggests otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, Andrew Driver said:

The point is when Douglas Ross says "The SNP might have won 70/73 constituencies but they only won 48% of the popular vote.   This shows there is a clear majority that don't buy into this independence pipe-dream, the Prime minister is quite right to refuse a section 30"  

BTW this is make or break time for the SNP for me.   But there's nothing to gain by not backing them.   

Would that be the Prime Minister whose governing party won 43.6% of the vote?

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Big article here about tactical voting on the list vote here. Have to admit I scrolled down to the conclusion.

I'll be relying on finding a big brain person to tell me whether my list vote should go to the Greens, but if in doubt I'll be going SNP/SNP.

https://listvotesense.medium.com/tactical-voting-in-the-scottish-parliament-election-a-mass-delusion-deconstructed-ceb65e64754e

From the regional percentages there, greens could realistically pick up a seat in any of the region's they don't have one. Also a second in Glasgow. 

It has been mentioned by some, that Highland is a wasted vote, since the SNP didn't win every constituency. But I've also seen other figures that greens were closer to picking up an additional seat than SNP.

It's fine margins all over really. And too close to predict it either way. But I do feel green voting has been suppressed quite a bit by only SNP can deliver independence/ you can vote for who you want after indy folk.

6 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I am kind of torn. I guess I need to vote SNP for my constituency for this cycle as I feel like this is the make or break moment for independence, but to be honest I do just feel like voting green for everything from now on regardless of the prospects of them actually winning.

Already there man. Have gone for the SNP/green route in the past. But an SNP majority isn't in doubt anymore. And they need a credible opposition now.

Just now, Juanhourjoe said:

Already there man. Have gone for the SNP/green route in the past. But an SNP majority isn't in doubt anymore. And they need a credible opposition now.

SNP need as big a majority as possible to force a referendum. The niceties of the Greens being pro independence too will be lost in the media led court of public opinion, and it's a lot harder to get a majority in Holyrood than a majority of Scottish seats in Westminster. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Driver said:

The point is when Douglas Ross says "The SNP might have won 70/73 constituencies but they only won 48% of the popular vote.   This shows there is a clear majority that don't buy into this independence pipe-dream, the Prime minister is quite right to refuse a section 30"  

BTW this is make or break time for the SNP for me.   But there's nothing to gain by not backing them.   

I get this point of view. But tbh, the Tories will say whatever they want regardless if the SNP get 48%, 50% or 52% of the vote.

20 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Constituency - SNP.

I personally have little time for the Greens but, as the only real option for an independence candidate on the list in the North East of Scotland, I'll hold my nose and vote for.them.

Why little time for the Greens out of curiosity?

5 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I get this point of view. But tbh, the Tories will say whatever they want regardless if the SNP get 48%, 50% or 52% of the vote.

52% would make it harder for them to claim that there is no mandate for a referendum, why make it easier for them by spoiling your vote?

Edited by welshbairn

23 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Constituency - SNP.

I personally have little time for the Greens but, as the only real option for an independence candidate on the list in the North East of Scotland, I'll hold my nose and vote for.them.

I'm a bit surprised that the Greens would do well in the North East, with their policy of leaving the oil where it is.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

52% would make it harder for them to claim that there is no mandate for a referendum, why make it easier for them?

It might make it harder, but if there’s one thing you can always rely on the Tories for, it’s sticking with an obvious lie through thick and thin.

If every single person in Scotland voted SNP, Boris would repeatedly claim there was no mandate.

edit: and no one in the media would challenge it.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

SNP need as big a majority as possible to force a referendum. The niceties of the Greens being pro independence too will be lost in the media led court of public opinion, and it's a lot harder to get a majority in Holyrood than a majority of Scottish seats in Westminster. 

They will gain on what they have. And that's what the media will focus on. Trying to find a negative spin from that, will seem too complicated for the likes of BBC Scotland despite whatever shite unionists will come out with. And it won't look good on them.