Independence for Scotland Party

fatshaft

On 12/05/2020 at 19:47, oneteaminglasgow said:

They seem to still be active on Twitter, moaning about the lockdown and Sturgeon creating an "Orwellian police state" so aye.

Does anyone remember  the absolute nutcases that stood in the highlands in the last election, and mostly moaned about feminism and gay people? The Christian Family Party or something like that? They still a thing?

On 12/05/2020 at 20:10, Highland Capital said:

Oh the Scottish Christian Party?  They've run in the last few elections in the Highlands. Their leader was a real fire and brimstone type who had an affair and called Radio 1 'the devil's music'.

My memory may be failing me here but I'm pretty sure both the Christian Party and the Scottish Family Party were on the ballot paper in Ross, Skye and Lochaber at the last election. Met some of the guys from the Family Party who turned up to one of the hustings with offensive banners and the like, not particularly pleasant individuals.

Also remember their candidate (Richard Lucas?) charging up to me on the night of the count and demanding a sit down meeting with Ian Blackford over his views on abortion. He never got his meeting.

Edited by Londonwell

The Christians only seem to be active in the Highlands.  I have some recollection of the Family Party running in Blackford's seat.  The only time I've ever come across them bizarrely is on YouTube ads, which must've cost them a fortune.

My memory may be failing me here but I'm pretty sure both the Christian Party and the Scottish Family Party were on the ballot paper in Ross, Skye and Lochaber at the last election. Met some of the guys from the Family Party who turned up to one of the hustings with offensive banners and the like, not particularly pleasant individuals.
Also remember their candidate (Richard Lucas?) charging up to me on the night of the count and demand a sit down meeting with Ian Blackford over his views on abortion. He never got his meeting.

Aye I’ve just looked up the Scottish Family Party, and they’ve spent the entire lockdown complaining about LGBT inclusive education...

17 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye I’ve just looked up the Scottish Family Party, and they’ve spent the entire lockdown complaining about LGBT inclusive education...

At least we know who Graham Linehan will be supporting if the Cherry party falls through

• 1 month later...

Sheridan :lol:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18598695.former-msp-tommy-sheridan-confirms-deep-ties-new-independence-party/?ref=twtrec

He said the Alliance appeared "worth participating in" and Solidarity might "put the cause before the party" at the 2021 Holyrood election by standing as part of the umbrella group.

Yes, really selflessly sacrificing all those seats they were definitely going to win standing in their own right. They were knocking on the door with their 0.6% in 2016.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Looks like this new 'independence party' is simply a cover for far left nutcases like Tommy Sheridan....still desperately trying to start a revolution and overthrow capitalism in an independent Scotland. 

It's the McTooting Popular Front. 

Ignore. 

I get the idea of a unified Pro indy list vote, however this could fall nicely into unionist hands. Team up on the FPTP and knock the SNP candidate out then the split in the SNP, green and united indy vote then allows the tories etc to make up the rest of the numbers. It's a huge gamble. It would only work if we are certain the SNP would win in pretty much every constituency seat. 

Then I've seen the United Indy thing is coming from the Tommy Sheridan brigade, f**k that. I would've been hopeful for maybe an Alex Salmond lead party but I think his PR isn't the best at the present moment 

I had a good think about this but I'm going to stick with SNP/SNP. I don't like the Green Party so I couldn't bring myself to vote for them. The 2nd vote SNP is more or less an insurance policy in the unlikelihood the SNP candidate loses their seat, it should be picked up again on the list with a bit of luck. 

Unless you live in the South of Scotland, Orkney, Shetland or anywhere else in Scotland that doesn't predominantly vote SNP  then anybody voting SNP/SNP is a moron. This will let in a blue tory, red tory or yellow tory in for the 2nd vote. I am an SNP member and in the last Scottish elections I voted SNP/Green. I may use my 2nd vote for this new party because I believe in independence for Scotland or I may still vote Green . Anybody not voting either green or this new party for their second vote is either a tory or an idiot.

6 hours ago, pawpar said:

Unless you live in the South of Scotland, Orkney, Shetland or anywhere else in Scotland that doesn't predominantly vote SNP  then anybody voting SNP/SNP is a moron. This will let in a blue tory, red tory or yellow tory in for the 2nd vote. I am an SNP member and in the last Scottish elections I voted SNP/Green. I may use my 2nd vote for this new party because I believe in independence for Scotland or I may still vote Green . Anybody not voting either green or this new party for their second vote is either a tory or an idiot.

I agree that there is a very strong case to be made for voting for the Greens or an alternative pro-independence party with your second vote - absolutely but your use of the words "moron", Idiot" and "tory" for those who are currently planning to vote SNP/SNP is not very helpful nor persuasive to voters who might be convinced to use their second vote more tactically - in fact it puts me off as I get the impression those advocating this tactic are agrerssive bullies - by all means put forward a case but tone the language down please

2 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Even aside from the fact it won't work, the people involved with these parties are wankers and we should not want more of them in parliament, regardless of their stance on independence. Anti-trans obsessives like the Independence for Scotland party, Christian fundamentalists like Dave Thompson and egoists like Tommy Sheridan aren't people deserving of a rational person's vote. Yes there are a few people fitting those descriptions in the SNP but at least they're constrained by the manifesto/leadership.

The reason these people are so desperate to ignore the obvious already-existing pro-indy list party of the Greens is that this is not actually about independence - it's about their crank beliefs on other issues e.g trans rights. 

I don't think it's unfair to say that, in more than one case, it's more to do with irritation at not being the centre of attention. You'd never have heard a peep about transphobia if the SNP had embraced Stu Campbell in some important position after the last referendum, for example.

20 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

The 2nd vote SNP is more or less an insurance policy in the unlikelihood the SNP candidate loses their seat, it should be picked up again on the list with a bit of luck. 

If the SNP continue with the same policy as they have previously then this is exactly not what will be happening.  The SNP don't put their constituency candidates on the list.

A more fundamentalist independence party would be a place for the more militant in the independence movement to exist.

It will provide distance in the minds of the public and the media alike between the likes of them with their flags and placards at the border and the general mainstream independence movement led by the SNP

It  will assist in normalising the idea of the gradualist approach to independence, as proposed by the SNP leadership, as being the long term  settled consensus opinion of the Scottish people. This being the case, independence in the medium/ longer term... (should the UK remain in anyway a democracy) will be  a certainty.

Scottish independence has nothing to fear from a successful new pro independence party fighting for list votes.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

A more fundamentalist independence party would be a place for the more militant in the independence movement to exist.

It will provide distance in the minds of the public and the media alike between the likes of them with their flags and placards at the border and the general mainstream independence movement led by the SNP

It  will assist in normalising the idea of the gradualist approach to independence, as proposed by the SNP leadership, as being the long term  settled consensus opinion of the Scottish people. This being the case, independence in the medium/ longer term... (should the UK remain in anyway a democracy) will be  a certainty.

Scottish independence has nothing to fear from a successful new pro independence party fighting for list votes.

No, it won't.

This collection of nutcases and extremists will grab headlines.....just like the fucking arseholes at the border did....and in their desperate need to have their 15 minutes of fame, they'll make like whole independence movement look like backward, intolerant fundamentalists.

These people are manna from heaven for Unionists and for the anti-Yes movement MSM.

Why in God's name can they not see that ?

13 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

No, it won't.

This collection of nutcases and extremists will grab headlines.....just like the fucking arseholes at the border did....and in their desperate need to have their 15 minutes of fame, they'll make like whole independence movement look like backward, intolerant fundamentalists.

These people are manna from heaven for Unionists and for the anti-Yes movement MSM.

Why in God's name can they not see that ?

Nope. This is very short sighted.

Sheridan Boyd Clerkin types get enough press already.

At the moment every time some dafty waves a stupid banner or posts a bit of cybernattery.....the Yoon media demand that Sturgeon must condemn.

If the lefty nuggets and proto nationalist extremists are more associated with the new ( but presumably sensibly led) list party...it provides distance from the independence moderate mainstream position. 

21 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

I agree that there is a very strong case to be made for voting for the Greens or an alternative pro-independence party with your second vote - absolutely but your use of the words "moron", Idiot" and "tory" for those who are currently planning to vote SNP/SNP is not very helpful nor persuasive to voters who might be convinced to use their second vote more tactically - in fact it puts me off as I get the impression those advocating this tactic are agrerssive bullies - by all means put forward a case but tone the language down please

Point proven you have no intention of voting SNP and the 3 phrases I have bolded shows this.