Jump to content

Recommended Posts

After Falkirk's minter of a statement last night, Partick have decided to do some mintering of their own.

No doubt other clubs shall wish to get in on the minter action, so this is the thread for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

EXhbmVKXYAM1xxJ?format=jpg

A joint statement? You'd think at least one of them would have proof read it, and you'd hope that at least one of them would understand punctuation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

A joint statement? You'd think at least one of them would have proof read it, and you'd hope that at least one of them would understand punctuation.

Proof read version from Brora.

Quote

Brora Rangers chairman William Powrie believes the SPFL has “failed to step up to the plate” over the breakdown of reconstruction talks.

Highland League champions Brora and their Lowland League counterparts Kelty Hearts have been all-but denied promotion to the SPFL, after Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack revealed yesterday the Premiership clubs would not vote in favour of reconstruction.

Dons chief Cormack did go on to state discussions could be revisited once they are through the worst of coronavirus, which did leave Powrie perplexed.

He felt the setting up of the reconstruction group by the SPFL, done as part of finishing the seasons in the Championship, League 1 and League 2, could have been used as a way of placating those clubs that would have been negatively affected, rather than a chance for genuine change.

Powrie said: “It’s disappointing so far as the SPFL are concerned as they had a real chance to embrace the pyramid system and singularly failed to step up to the plate. If you think it was the SPFL who commissioned the reconstruction group, you really wonder what the long-term agenda was, if the findings can be summarily dismissed. I think the motives could well have been placation.

“I read that (could be revisited) and what I would say to Dave Cormack is can he explain what he means? Is it three days, three months or three years? It’s complete ambiguity.

“It looks very much like the door has been slammed in our face. You feel like the grand old Duke of York, being marched up to the top of the hill and back down again.”
Powrie had previously spoken of the need to get promoted this season and laid bare the £30,000 financial hole they faced because of the football shutdown.

He added: “It leaves us in the Highland League, unless something comes from left-field. The whole budget of the club will have to change. The ease of getting sponsorship next season will be much more challenging. We will have to cut our cloth accordingly, as I’m sure will the other Highlannd League clubs.

“Clearly we want to progress and if we don’t do it this season, then we want to do it next season. It’s still very raw and it almost feels worse than losing a play-off game. If we lost that we would have accepted we weren’t good enough and would have gone back to the Highland League.”

The Cattachs had been in close contact with Kelty during the whole process and both leagues had representation on the reconstruction group, with Highland League secretary Rod Houston there on behalf of clubs in the north.

Powrie said: “There’s a degree of anger from the directors I have spoken to and I have been in contact with Kelty Hearts since the decision was announced.

“We have used every opportunity we have been given to promote our cause. This is all with the caveat that Rod Houston did an exemplary job and no criticism is directed at him.”

 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/spfl/2199179/spfl-failed-to-step-up-to-the-plate-says-brora-rangers-chairman-william-powrie/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The statements are hilarious. They all talk about "acting in the best interests of Scottish Football". Despite not giving a feck about league reconstruction prior to the situation.

Why would it be in the best interests of the vast majority of clubs to pander to a handful of diddy outfits?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't get your gripe? Under the circumstances it seems a fairly reasoned response to an exceptionable situation. To me it reads as something they had to do to satisfy the element in our (any) support who want the Board to 'do something'.  What would you have wanted your club to do if the roles were reversed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing wrong with Partick Thistle's statement. Right to feel aggrieved IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While Partick are at least being relegated and therefore an aggrieved tone is more understandable than Falkirk, I think they've actually managed to cobble together an even more embarrassing statement.

"What’s galling is that it all stems from the arbitrary and unjust way the club was relegated, with no say in it"

1. Being relegated for being bottom is not arbitrary. They were there by virtue of being the worst team in the league, not by a random draw
2. Even aside from having the opportunity to avoid this by picking up more points throughout the season, they did have a say in it. They were just comfortably outvoted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dunning1874 said:

While Partick are at least being relegated and therefore an aggrieved tone is more understandable than Falkirk, I think they've actually managed to cobble together an even more embarrassing statement.

"What’s galling is that it all stems from the arbitrary and unjust way the club was relegated, with no say in it"

1. Being relegated for being bottom is not arbitrary. They were there by virtue of being the worst team in the league, not by a random draw
2. Even aside from having the opportunity to avoid this by picking up more points throughout the season, they did have a say in it. They were just comfortably outvoted.

They hadn't played an equal amount of games as the team second bottom. If they had, there's every chance they wouldn't be bottom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Speroni*1 said:

They hadn't played an equal amount of games as the team second bottom. If they had, there's every chance they wouldn't be bottom.

Never understood why in situations like this the "we could have won and been safe!" argument somehow holds more weight than "you could have lost and been bottom without a game in hand" one.

You're getting it with Hearts fans who see their side marooned at the bottom of the table, had won about 2 games against bottom half sides all season, yet are claiming it was perfectly realistic they could win 4 of their 5 post split fixtures and been safe, so it's a disgrace theyve been denied that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey - Patrick - where was your anger when League 2 clubs decided it was 14-14-14 or nothing?

Or when Budge said it was almost certainly a temporary reconstruction?

Reconstructon was dead before yesterday’s meeting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Never understood why in situations like this the "we could have won and been safe!" argument somehow holds more weight than "you could have lost and been bottom without a game in hand" one.

You're getting it with Hearts fans who see their side marooned at the bottom of the table, had won about 2 games against bottom half sides all season, yet are claiming it was perfectly realistic they could win 4 of their 5 post split fixtures and been safe, so it's a disgrace theyve been denied that.

It's the fact that it's unknown and could have went either way. Fairly straightforward tbh.

It's a cliche but football is a funny old game. After 30 games last season Dundee were a point clear of St Mirren. Both clubs had only won 4 games all season. In the remaining 8 games, St Mirren doubled their tally of wins with another 4 and they also drew 3 of them games losing only to Celtic in their final 8 games. This was after accumulating 17 points all season up until that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Never understood why in situations like this the "we could have won and been safe!" argument somehow holds more weight than "you could have lost and been bottom without a game in hand" one.

You're getting it with Hearts fans who see their side marooned at the bottom of the table, had won about 2 games against bottom half sides all season, yet are claiming it was perfectly realistic they could win 4 of their 5 post split fixtures and been safe, so it's a disgrace theyve been denied that.

Don't think you'll get many Thistle fans saying we were anything but absolutely rank last season. IMO the team who have been shafted the most in this is Falkirk. In a perfectly fair sporting world they would have been promoted and QoS relegated. Could all be incidental as Christ knows when we're going to see Scottish football again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

They hadn't played an equal amount of games as the team second bottom. If they had, there's every chance they wouldn't be bottom.

They picked up fewer points per game in the games they did play.

Is it a shite state of affairs? Yes. Would any club feel aggrieved in the same position? Obviously.

However, no club complaining about it has been able to suggest a fairer solution than the one we've got, and if other clubs were to find themselves in that position I'm sure you wouldn't find all of them firing out a rant of a statement talking about being 'betrayed' and launching into thinly veiled 'Sink us and we'll sink you' rhetoric. It's an embarrassment.

What every club is failing to address in all their comments about this unprecedented situation is that it requires an unprecedented solution and none of them have been able to either find one that doesn't harm anyone or explain why it's okay to harm someone else just to serve their own self-interest. Partick don't give a shite about the overall fairness of the solution to Scottish football as a whole, they'd happily see other clubs harmed by any solution that prevented their relegation, which is why there's no criticism of the clubs who said reconstruction had to be 14-14-14 or  nothing in their statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dunning1874 said:

They picked up fewer points per game in the games they did play.

Is it a shite state of affairs? Yes. Would any club feel aggrieved in the same position? Obviously.

However, no club complaining about it has been able to suggest a fairer solution than the one we've got, and if other clubs were to find themselves in that position I'm sure you wouldn't find all of them firing out a rant of a statement talking about being 'betrayed' and launching into thinly veiled 'Sink us and we'll sink you' rhetoric. It's an embarrassment.

What every club is failing to address in all their comments about this unprecedented situation is that it requires an unprecedented solution and none of them have been able to either find one that doesn't harm anyone or explain why it's okay to harm someone else just to serve their own self-interest. Partick don't give a shite about the overall fairness of the solution to Scottish football as a whole, they'd happily see other clubs harmed by any solution that prevented their relegation, which is why there's no criticism of the clubs who said reconstruction had to be 14-14-14 or  nothing in their statement.

The reconstruction group that the SPFL created didn't even get a chance to put their proposal forward. Why did the SPFL create the group if it wasn't even going to be given a chance to be heard? Falkirk and Partick Thistle are correct in asserting that this has been a shambles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Speroni*1 said:

The reconstruction group that the SPFL created didn't even get a chance to put their proposal forward. Why did the SPFL create the group if it wasn't even going to be given a chance to be heard? Falkirk and Partick Thistle are correct in asserting that this has been a shambles.

Because there was an attempt to do something.

Hearts refused anything that was permanent. 

League Two sides refused anything that wasnt 14-14-14.

Expanding the top flight is a no go for the vast majority of top flight sides.

There was an impasse that nobody backed down from, so it's been called to a halt.

Self interest in every division caused that.

If Partick/Hearts really wanted reconstruction to benefit everyone, theyd have allowed talks to continue throughout the year so they could be in place for 21/22. Guess why they didnt want that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Because there was an attempt to do something.

Hearts refused anything that was permanent. 

League Two sides refused anything that wasnt 14-14-14.

Expanding the top flight is a no go for the vast majority of top flight sides.

There was an impasse that nobody backed down from, so it's been called to a halt.

Self interest in every division caused that.

If Partick/Hearts really wanted reconstruction to benefit everyone, theyd have allowed talks to continue throughout the year so they could be in place for 21/22. Guess why they didnt want that.

The group was put together by the SPFL to try and formulate the best plan for reconstruction. It should have allowed to have been proposed and then, if as was always likely, it was voted not to go with this by the whole SPFL then fair enough.

To cull it the way they did last night just adds further fuel to the fire that this whole thing has been dealt with in a complete amateur matter. One would have thought that this vote would have been dealt with in the correct manner considering the way the last one was dealt with. For the top flight clubs to have a meeting and just kibosh it before all avenues had been explored before this process had been complete, rightfully creates more distrust and perfectly explains the raging statements from certain clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...