Conquering Britain & Ireland

I'm only sad enough to know as was taunting a Birmingham City acquaintance listing shit teams that have equalled or bettered their best ever finish. Accrington, Bradford, Grimsby and Wimbledon have all managed it, too, if anyone is interested.

I appreciate I'm not doing much to dispel that "Villa fans all live in the past" stereotype...

European Championships 2040

qXm2g7X.png

Well, the European championship are here, and I played some complete dross in Bhutan and Nicaragua to boost confidence, and also bothered with one friendly against someone competent - which we also won pretty convincingly. 

Anyway, our group is Italy, Serbia and Norway who are ranked 8th, 23rd and 53rd in the world respectively (We're joint 1st). Should be getting through that.

Spoiler

pVSna6T.png

The hardest game we'll face  (hopefully) and we've come through it ok, and got the win. Absolute shitfest of a match, but I'm not bothered.

rNaJ2yN.png

Spoiler

yqtN7Oy.png

We thrashed them -  25 shots for us, 3 for them and 62% possession - but we didn't make it count. Really disappointing result.

Still, Norway seem to love a red card, and they're the only team we've still to play.

CnOscvZ.png

Spoiler

rsLfPZM.png

Job done. I told you, Norway absolutely love a red card. We should have scored a few more, but got the job done this time. Still, the fact that we aren't being nearly clinical with our chances is a concern. We've yet to concede though.

RyfhYru.png

Job done. Wasn't particularly pretty, but we're through....

wjjGA1c.png

Should be winning that. The other groups finished like this...

Spoiler

9dnXyJa.png33OaeSS.png

MqjOlMY.pngrPVSBfF.png

3c5rzuI.png

Spoiler

zbw7e4P.png

Easy stuff, again. Wales made it easy by going down to 10, and also not really bothering to try to score. We eased off and got fairly complacent in the 2nd half, but  the match was over at half time.

Rest of the second round went...

8HizbDl.png

OW9x8Ak.png

Spoiler

uinYR2A.png

Well, thank f**k for that. A bit like the Serbia game, we hammered them but couldn't get a goal until the very end of the game, and then managed to do it again in extra time. Needlessly nervy, but we got there in the end. Into the semi's we go.

wUdbLnl.png

0VmDpMI.png

4th in the world - this'll be a big test.

Spoiler

IEaKAg8.png

Ah, f**k.

Oh well, we'd proper shitfested our way through this far a la Greece 2004, so I'm not sure we can have any complaints overall. Germany played much better than we did.

t28X4RG.png

That seems pretty harsh, I mean, we weren't very good but still made the semi's... Oh well, f**k it.

The other semi finished...

LMb2Dts.png

And the final was...

Lu4GT2B.png

Spoiler

o4A5yTi.png

Aw pish. First time this has happened in the save. 

Transfer Window 2040/41

4T7LiBn.png

Apart from Unai, quite happy to see them go, and for the money I was getting for some of them, I couldn't say no. Allowed me to go on a lovely spending spree...

J4beXrA.png

Almost 100 million spent, hopefully will prove worth it...

First up, Dean Grogan - the best player from my title winning Livingston squad. Excellent technical player, and should do a good job on right wing. I didn't have a huge amount of depth there last season, especially when my first choice fucked off to China. 

Spoiler

Fpdzs8g.png

Next up, Orlando Castro - a Colombian centre midfielder. We've got him from Barca, but he's spent the last few seasons on loan in the Premiership. An improvement of what we had last season, probably won't be good enough to get us towards winning the title, but £7million is a great deal at this level.

Spoiler

X7SV0Vu.png

Jerome Zimmer-Collignon joins from Man City, and will be playing alongside Castro in centre midfield, Another one who looks pretty decent, and  also young enough to get better.

Spoiler

T8AlDBE.png

Saul Gutierrez joins from PAOK, and frankly I don't know why he's been playing there. He looks brilliant. Will be playing at attacking midfield for me, and will provide back up to Campbell up front.

Spoiler

gKmRziM.png

Lastly, Kevin Chala joins from Porto. With Barden going to Leicester I needed a new right back, and he fits the bill. Pretty good at everything I need in a full back, so pleased with this signing. Definitely an upgrade.

Spoiler

0W963Ab.png

All that means that my first choice 11 this season will look something like this...

A6LU1mn.png

November 2040/41

YZf7vmd.png

Another pretty solid month. We were, again, minutes away from beating Chelsea but threw it away, and almost lost late on as well. Would have been toys right out the pram if we had.

We seem to be an absolute nightmare to play against, and very hard to beat (other than that Man United game) but we don't win nearly often enough to sustain any kind of proper challenge near the top. I'd be delighted if we can get into some form of European competition for next season.

20RLVvI.png

Pretty tight at our end of the table.

Looks like the city of Birmingham is having an absolutely torrid time, collectively.

December 2040/41

NHmHmjp.png

Good start thumping Derby (they scored in the first and last minute, and we dominated completely in between), then I had to bring in a reserve centre back to cover suspension against Burnley, and he made a total c**t of it. Cost us all 3 goals.

Outwith the Brighton match, where we played shambolically, the rest of the month went pretty much as expected.

j0CYRew.png

It's all going pretty well so far.

f**k knows how Everton are so good - they've finished in the top 4 once in the whole save, and are usually midtable dross.

Eq8FiXD.png

Some effort.

January Transfer Window 2040/41

Km0V0Y9.png

Couple of guys moaning about playing time wanted loans, so puntef them out.

de Lange was shite, so sold him. Hacker was my reserve goalkeeper, so f**k knows why Liverpool bought him.

Vicente was the guy who had a shocker against Burnley, and I needed to make some money for an incoming signing, so off he went...

eIg5klb.png

I beat Tottenham, Everton and Benfica to sign this guy - probably by offering to pay him far more than I should, but these things happen.

He can play on the left wing, or up front (will be on the wing for me), and looks very decent. Full Uruguayan international, very good scoring record (52 in 93 games) and doesn't have any weaknesses really. I'm delighted with this signing, which probably means he'll do his ACL on his debut.

Spoiler

e3d2lof.png

On 17/07/2020 at 16:53, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'm only sad enough to know as was taunting a Birmingham City acquaintance listing shit teams that have equalled or bettered their best ever finish. Accrington, Bradford, Grimsby and Wimbledon have all managed it, too, if anyone is interested.

I appreciate I'm not doing much to dispel that "Villa fans all live in the past" stereotype...

Is Birmingham City's highest top flight finish 8th? 

4 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Sixth.

That's mental. Birmingham have certainly under-performed. Villa have a pretty good record but going back to the early 80s for their last title and European Success. You'd think the city would have had more success in the intervening period.