Conquering Britain & Ireland

April 2024

afZunUB.png

Well, once again we limped over the line. Got through to the cup final via a penalty shootout, and then got completely outplayed 3 times. Lucky to get the one point we did get.

w8twLIr.png

Still, we managed to finish 3rd, which is our joint highest finish ever.  We've still got to play the Welsh Cup final, which if we win, we'll qualify for the Europa League 2 (or whatever it's called), and if we don't we'll go into the playoff to qualify for it. Given our frankly shambolic form, I'd rather not have to bother with those.

EZGbku5.png

Managed to get them to stump up for another coaching badge.

Welsh Cup Final

Well, we've been poor for the last month, but fortunately, Newtown come into the final on equally shite form. Their route to the final was fairly straightforward, playing just one team in the top flight, and they needed penalties to get past them.

IXfv9Nz.png

On the other hand, we've played a couple of other top flight sides on our way here. That said, we've only won once in 90 minutes on the way to the final.

P00Mr2N.png

Anyway, onto the game...

Spoiler

5TE0tNF.png

Well, I don't know how that happened. We just managed to take our chances, and they didn't but that scoreboard  flatters us somewhat. 

We started brilliantly though, 2 up inside 10 minute and 3 by half time.  They  didn't get going until we were 4 up. 

7Q61vOV.png

In any case, absolute scenes, we've won the cup, which means that...

XYs4TPg.png

We get the joy of losing to some Maltese nobodies. Cannot wait.

June 2024

woRHA91.png

A couple of friendlies for Curaçao. We had 44 shots against Bermuda (21 on target) , so 2-0 was pretty poor stuff considering. Turks & Caicos were shite, even that big diddy Felitciano Zschusschen, who was described by Caley fans as "one of their worst ever players" and "our version of Ali Dia," scored.

eFNimMd.png

Ah well, losing to an Estonian mob is better than losing to some of the shite we could have lost to would have been.

Transfer Window

SKzTjEm.png

Load of players released - main guys gone are Kurtis Byrne, Theo Wharton and Craig Clayton. They did a decent enough job, but weren't good enough to really push up the league, and Clayton and Wharton in particular were costing a fair bit of money.  Wasn't disappointed to lose any of these guys, and freed up some cash to bring in...

P2mDU4o.png

Well, I raided Swansea's youth teams (Carfiff's youth players mostly told me to bolt) and then picked up a load of free agents, and I'm pretty pleased with most of these guys.

First up, Brian Byrne, a Northern Irish under 19 international striker, he has an alright scoring record in the Northern Irish second tier. He a good finisher, with pace and composure so I'm hopeful that he'll do well. I've switched to two up front, so he'll partner Watts up front.

Spoiler

jS1Z0Mk.png

Next up, we'll run through our Swansea rejects, and I'll start with Aaron Brewerton, a goalkeeper who looks pretty decent. While he's not amazing or anything, he's certainly a step up from what we had so pleased to get him.

Spoiler

Qpixi2K.png

Dmitris Panagiotidis is a Greek under 21 international, and will compete with Mema for the left wing spot. He's good at dribbling, crossing and works hard. He lacks a bit of pace, but I suppose if he had that then he wouldn't be signing for Aberystwyth Town.

Spoiler

rkRKgRm.png

Ross Hill is one that I'm really excited about. Those physical stats :wub: He'll be my main centre half this season. 

Spoiler

joUjM6I.png

Finally, we've got (at least according to  my assistant) the best of the lot in Michael Murphy. He's the only player I've got who my scouts reckon is better than anyone that TNS have, so will be my first choice centre midfielder and just looks great. I'm hoping with 14 long shots he'll bang in a few screamers this season.

Spoiler

JMq4vNs.png

I've had bother finding left backs for a while, so when Callum Roberts looked like an even small upgrade, I jumped at the chance. He's not great, and was probably somewhat a panic buy, but he's better than what I've had for the last few seasons. 

Spoiler

rnXpaXh.png

Ryan Jenkins was next, and will be competing for the right wing position, and also providing cover at centre midfield, which is nice. He's fast, brave and determined, but not much else, but speed seems to be enough to do well in this league half the time.

Spoiler

A6VAZxw.png

Final signing for the season ahead was Alex Babos, another centre midfielder. He's here to provide depth, will probably start a fair bit as well but of all my sigings, he's the one I expect the least from.

Spoiler

hHKmXJA.png

July & August 2024

uo1zQdi.png

So, it turned out that Levadia were a complete fucking gang - or more specifically they had the worst goalkeeper I've ever seen in FM. I'd have expected him to save at least 5 of the goal we scored across both legs - he inexplicably escaped the first leg with a rating of 6, which was incredibly generous. We also got a bit of luck against Hungary's Puskás Akadémia when they went down to 10 men after 11 minutes in the second leg, which was enough to see us through as they couldn't . Lokomotiv Moscow were, in a shock to absolutely no one,  were a step too far and pumped us rotten. We were drawing with them  for about 20 seconds in the home leg, and took the lead in Moscow so still a decent effort, despite the end result. 

In between that, we've won 3 domestic games with an aggregate score of 9-0, so I can't complain about the start to the season we've had.  We beat Cardiff Met very comfortably, which is a good sign for the season ahead.

Jkfe4X0.png

Early days, but going well so far. TNS are in the group stages of the Europa League 2, so hopefully that'll distract them a bit.  

I also enjoyed this...

WOamxEQ.png

A wee bit of European football history for Aberystwyth Town. 

September 2024

pzZrDL6.png

Small blip in the middle of the month, but good stuff other than that. We went down to 10 men against Newtown, and didn't get going against Barry. Barry also have a guy with 73 goals in 126 games, and 12 in 9 this season, so he's hard to keep from scoring. 

ayBuF4Y.png

Game in hand on those above us, and wed go top with a win - but TNS have a game in hand on us as well.  I'm playing them twice this month, so that'll be huge. 

Curacao

dpeTPMF.png

A couple of friendlies with Curacao, beating two fairly poor teams.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

October 2024

AbWIZPl.png

A tough month, but that win against TNS away is absolutely huge, as is the draw at home. They'd played (and beaten) Fenerbahçe a few nights before, so I don't know if they were resting players or just tired because they were significantly better when I played them at home a few weeks earlier. We got knocked out the League Cup following this, but I did rest quite a few important players and I don't care - all I'm interested in is trying to win the league.

The problem is that TNS have only dropped 2 points so far in games against anyone apart from us, and we don't play them again until after the split so we'll need them to start dropping points, or we need to start making sure we beat everyone else - because they do.

Pis8jWL.png

Just a point behind them, but they do still have a game in hand.  I'm hopeful that we can put together a good run and keep pressure on TNS, and hopefully at some point they'll have a blip.

Curacao

QciHoux.png

A couple of friendlies, Trinidad are an ok side so that was useful enough.

N0KWbcg.png

World Cup qualifiers drawn, and we'll be playing saint Vincent - who are dogshit so I really should be beating them.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

November 2024

CSsBFnV.png

Perfect month - we were 2-0 down early doors against Newtown so that was a touch game, but the rest were fairly straightforward affairs. 

Op4rHpr.png

TNS drew against Carmarthen, which allowed us to gain some points on them, and we're currently top waiting on them playing a game in hand.

Curacao

SZswosu.png

Pumped a couple of tax havens to see out the year internationally, which was nice.

December 2024

hwEQGFU.png

Well, a perfect month for us. Port Talbot were dreadful, so it was good to run up a score against them, and the Barry win was great as it puts me well clear of them, narrowing it to between me and TNS almost.

AAjCpMq.png

Needed TNS to have a blip, and they did a bit with a loss and a draw this month, which puts us 3 points clear for the time being. 

ESdWB9v.png

Got offered this, no thanks. They're bottom of League One, and this is the best chance I'll have to win in Wales... Fairly easy decision. Does sort of demonstrate that doing well in Wales means f**k all everywhere else...

January 2025

f2yS8FA.png

Another unbeaten month, but we should have been beating Bangor and CQN. We had 6 clear cut chances against CQN (to their none) and played against 10 men for most of the second half but just couldn't get a second goal.

Through in the Cup again, made the quarter final which is the minimum my board expects. Would be nice to win that again, but not my main focus.

4IWcD5s.png

Well, despite a couple of missed opportunities we're still top as TNS lost against Cardiff Met, winning their other 2 games. We'd be 6 points clear if we'd won the games we drew, which is frustrating, but they've already dropped more points than they did in the whole of last season so this is a chance. 10 games to go, and we still have to play TNS twice, so those will be huge games - I don't expect them to drop many points elsewhere.

I picked up one player in the January window as well, Radoslaw Cegielka, who has been playing for Afan Lido in the Welsh second tier. A centre midfielder, he'll be going straight into my first team. Pretty decent defensively, so hopefully will form a good partnership with Murphy, and provide a bit of solidity.

Spoiler

rv2sMAp.png

14 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Tremendous reading @oneteaminglasgow, hope you stick it to TNS.

Still can’t believe Wales offered the Aberystwyth manager the top job on (20 grand a week) mind 😆

TNS basically being a Welsh Celtic, complete with green and white hoops, makes it fairly easy to dislike them massively.

Was wondering how many leagues in a row TNS had won IRL and was surprised to see they didn't win it this year. Were four points behind Connah's Quay Nomads when the apocalypse kicked in, and so have finished second on Points Per Game. They had won eight in a row previously.

February 2025

Q04aSTv.png

A mostly crap month, mad even more frustrating by the fact that, with the obvious exception of the Newtown game, we led 2-0 in all of these games. Good to get back on track against Cefn, although they're the weakest side in the top half.

YVLoYUy.png

Fortunately for us, it has coincided with TNS' worst run of form since the save began, allowing us to extend our lead to 5 points with 6 games left. Barry have also started dragging themselves back into it.

We still have to play TNS twice, so we'll need to not lose at least one of those or our lead means nothing...

March 2025

XM4rRT6.png

Started with a fairly easy win against Caernarfon to go into the Cup semi final, where we'll play Barry Town.

Next up, a massive win against TNS. Very shaky holding on in the second half, but we saw it through. A very comfortable win against Bangor followed, and then we fucked it slightly by losing to Newtown - again.  This time it was in the last minute, which was awful as that extra point could have been very useful.

Nc78mzQ.png

The good news is that TNS are all but out of it,  and our big threat now comes from Barry Town.  We're playing both of them next month, as well as Cefn. 3 games to secure the title, and we have goal difference in our favour but it's tight. Barry have us, TNS and Bangor to play, so its a tough run in for both of us.

Curacao

aksf3wf.png

Straightforward stuff against a poor side to get through to the proper world cup qualifiers.

zzFVrpi.png

As this is the one hosted by Canada, USA and Mexico, they aren't in the groups, but Costa Rica and Panama are both good sides so that'll be tough. 

We need to either win the group or finish 2nd to have any chance of qualifying, and I'm not sure we'll be able to do it...