Favourite Sandwich

On 31/07/2020 at 21:09, Angusfifer said:

Smoked mackerel, boiled egg and pickled beetroot

The egg contributes absolutely nothing to that arrangement and should be binned. Mackerel and beetroot is a tremendous homemade combination but of the varieties that you could reasonably expect to pick up premade as well smoked salmon and cream cheese is the clear winner.

On 01/08/2020 at 23:39, virginton said:

The egg contributes absolutely nothing to that arrangement and should be binned. Mackerel and beetroot is a tremendous homemade combination but of the varieties that you could reasonably expect to pick up premade as well smoked salmon and cream cheese is the clear winner.

Sadly agree with this. Smoked mackerel with a soft boiled egg or the fash with the beetroot.

Needs to be on rye bread too (as an open sang-meej) imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the day, many moons ago when I were a young lad, a pal of mine introduced me to cheese and Nutella as a sandwich option. I loved it. I would also dabble with some peanut butter thrown on from time to time. Tremendous.

But

One day, f**k knows why, I stuck crispy bacon on bread and thought...'I wonder...'

And the combination of the Nutella and cheese with crispy bacon was fucking glorious.

On 03/08/2020 at 15:27, Slenderman said:

Never had cheese & jam together, but weirdly intriged by it now.

Bread in toaster, spread with butter and jam. Top with cheese, place under grill. 

Also, butter and jam on a digestive sandwich is wonderful. Do not add cheese here. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Bread in toaster, spread with butter and jam.

The butter and jam just dripped all over the insides of the toaster and set the b*****d smoke alarm off.

2/10

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Bread in toaster, spread with butter and jam. Top with cheese, place under grill. 

Also, butter and jam on a digestive sandwich is wonderful. Do not add cheese here. 

Agreed. Cheese and apple on a digestive is fantastic as well.

ETA - preferably a Granny Smith.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

I seem to remember a digestive sandwich with butter in the middle being a delicacy with the auld yins Who Lived Through The War. Similarly, my mum remembers a popular post-rationing treat for youngsters being a ball of butter rolled in sugar. She says it was fucking disgusting, but you were expected to eat it and smile, as wasting staples like butter and sugar was considered the height of extravagance after years of austerity, so you'd be considered an ungrateful wretch for not appreciating the gesture.

It's easy to forget how spoilt we are these days.

Princes Tinned Mackerel (Spicy Tomato flavour) & sliced boiled egg, a little salt and pepper, two thick, well buttered slices of fresh, soft, white bloomer. Delicious.

Doesn’t go down well as lunch option in the office at work for some reason though![emoji15]

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I seem to remember a digestive sandwich with butter in the middle being a delicacy with the auld yins Who Lived Through The War. Similarly, my mum remembers a popular post-rationing treat for youngsters being a ball of butter rolled in sugar. She says it was fucking disgusting, but you were expected to eat it and smile, as wasting staples like butter and sugar was considered the height of extravagance after years of austerity, so you'd be considered an ungrateful wretch for not appreciating the gesture.

It's easy to forget how spoilt we are these days.

A buttered digestive is a terrific (albeit unhealthy) snack. I wouldn't be putting another biscuit on top though.