VE Day celebrations.

Mr C was a really talented dj and mc. Always thought he was a joke figure after that song but he was on pirate radio and playing raves well before the shamen. Heard a mix a few years back and it was class.

On topic people in local area are trying to organise a VE sing along tonight. No coincidence that theres a lodge and legion plus a very staunch support usually.
Once walked past a guy with full union Jack gear and bowtie etc in town, thought it was a pisstake then another group got off the bus round the corner. The kicking would have almost been worth laughing at them.

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Hope Bob dies

Old news, he's been away for a while now.

Still outlived Bing by a few decades.

6 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Didn't the yanks only have the two A-bombs which were dropped anyway? I'm sure I read a while back that had the Japanese not surrendered, an invasion would have been necessary as developing another a-bomb would have taken too long.

I've wondered how many nukes the US would have been prepared to drop if the Japanese High Command had brazened the whole thing out in a bunker somewhere. When you see the death tallies elsewhere, and remembering that nobody quite understood the lingering nightmare of radioactive fallout (if that would have made a difference), I guess the answer is that they'd have dropped as many as they had.

Am I right in saying that the Japanese didn't quite believe that America had been responsible for Hiroshima until the other shoe dropped? I seem to remember there was the suspicion that the US was taking credit for a natural disaster that the High Command didn't understand.

11 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Too right. The Good German of Nanking is the only book I've had to stop reading because it was making me feel sick reading about what the Japanese did there.

Black Sun and Men Behind the Sun make for particularly gruelling viewing. The Japanese military are possibly even harder to sympathise with than the Nazis. Attempting to coldly execute entire nations or races really was all the rage back then, wasn't it.

Black Sun and Men Behind the Sun make for particularly gruelling viewing. The Japanese military are possibly even harder to sympathise with than the Nazis. Attempting to coldly execute entire nations or races really was all the rage back then, wasn't it.
The acts of Unit 731 sound worse than any horror movie I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I've wondered how many nukes the US would have been prepared to drop if the Japanese High Command had brazened the whole thing out in a bunker somewhere. When you see the death tallies elsewhere, and remembering that nobody quite understood the lingering nightmare of radioactive fallout (if that would have made a difference), I guess the answer is that they'd have dropped as many as they had.

Am I right in saying that the Japanese didn't quite believe that America had been responsible for Hiroshima until the other shoe dropped? I seem to remember there was the suspicion that the US was taking credit for a natural disaster that the High Command didn't understand.

They only had one other bomb ready to go once they'd dropped the first two - if that hadn't worked they planned to drop that one after another week or ten days, and then another half dozen or so that were in the process of being built over the next two or three months as they were ready. There initially was talk of using one as a demonstration on an uninhabited area to show what they could do to a city and hopefully trigger a surrender, but there were worries that the Japanese might move POWs into the demonstration area.

I think there naturally was an element of disbelief that one bomb could do that much damage, but when Hiroshima army HQ went off air and confused reports started coming in of a huge explosion the general staff sent a plane down to find out what the problem was ...obviously the pilot reported back that the city pretty much wasn't there anymore so they knew something big had happened fairly soon after the event.

The really weird thing was the second bomb was meant for Kokura rather than Nagasaki...the plane carrying the bomb developed a fault so they bombed the secondary target rather than the primary one.

3 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

They’ll never surpass the fireworks they set off in Japan early August 1945...

That’s terrible.  I’d go for the defence of ‘a little boy did it and ran away’...

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s terrible.  I’d go for the defence of ‘a little boy did it and ran away’...

Shut it Fat Boy...

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

In fairness I don’t have a response to that.

So, first division next season then?

Congratulations  on your title*

*imgur_reaction.gif.3a1c036d886a819526a3a45626bea2bc.gif

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Aye we were toiling right enough.  I was worried it would come down to goal difference.

Hopefully financial fair play is brought into the leagues as soon as possible.

Can we claim back our Championship place for overspending on shite?

23 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

I'm guessing Josef Mengele heard about what Shiro Ishii was doing over in Manchuria and ran a toned-down version because he wasn't a complete monster.

48 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

They were c***s but no more so than the Nazis and they were c***s....

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:
2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

You’ve set me off now...

C1373EC1-3569-43D4-8A89-9B5C6D305840.thumb.jpeg.350e6e35c8667217f354f33125fdacb1.jpeg

Vivisection, hyper-temperature exposure, injection of viruses and the likes of horse urine, high pressure testing. Pretty horrific stuff irrespective of the scale of experimentations.

But guess what....the perpetrators were never prosecuted just like their Nazi German counterparts used by the Allies for research purposes....