VE Day celebrations.

Didn't the yanks only have the two A-bombs which were dropped anyway? I'm sure I read a while back that had the Japanese not surrendered, an invasion would have been necessary as developing another a-bomb would have taken too long.
More people died from conventional bombing in japan. Pretty sure they had more than two bombs, even the threat of more would be enough.

16 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
12 hours ago, GordonS said:
There was an attempted coup d'etat in Japan the night before the surrender, by senior military figures who wanted to fight on. In the history of zoomers these guys must have been right up there in the VIP section. The Americans would have reduced the entire country to radioactive ash one city at a time until an unconditional surrender came.
Regardless of what the IJN wanted in the early 40s, Japan's strategic needs weren't in the USSR. Their invasion of China and South East Asia - where they committed heinous atrocities that don't get properly remembered in the West - meant that they needed more natural resources they didn't have at home, especially oil. The US had imposed sanction on Japan because of their aggression, so they decided they needed Borneo. That meant sailing past the US-controlled Philippines, which wouldn't be possible with the power of the US Navy around. Hence, Pearl Harbor.
Like authoritarian regimes very often do, they assumed a democracy would be too soft and fluffy to fight back after a brutal blow. Man, did they ever read that wrong.

Didn't the yanks only have the two A-bombs which were dropped anyway? I'm sure I read a while back that had the Japanese not surrendered, an invasion would have been necessary as developing another a-bomb would have taken too long.

There wasn't one ready imminently but it wouldn't have taken too long, IIRC it would have been 2-3 months. After the unspeakable horrors of Okinawa it's extrememly unlikely they'd have sent soldiers to the Japanese home islands, they'd just have waited and dropped A bombs as they made them until the Japanese accepted the inevitable. 

They'd likely have continued with the conventional aerial bombardment too, which, incredibly, was worse than the atomic bombings. In one night, 9-10 March, about 100,000 were killed in the firebombing of Tokyo. 

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:
13 hours ago, GordonS said:
There was an attempted coup d'etat in Japan the night before the surrender, by senior military figures who wanted to fight on. In the history of zoomers these guys must have been right up there in the VIP section. The Americans would have reduced the entire country to radioactive ash one city at a time until an unconditional surrender came.
Regardless of what the IJN wanted in the early 40s, Japan's strategic needs weren't in the USSR. Their invasion of China and South East Asia - where they committed heinous atrocities that don't get properly remembered in the West - meant that they needed more natural resources they didn't have at home, especially oil. The US had imposed sanction on Japan because of their aggression, so they decided they needed Borneo. That meant sailing past the US-controlled Philippines, which wouldn't be possible with the power of the US Navy around. Hence, Pearl Harbor.
Like authoritarian regimes very often do, they assumed a democracy would be too soft and fluffy to fight back after a brutal blow. Man, did they ever read that wrong.

Third bomb was planned for Sapporo in Hokkaido.

This thread reminded me to reconnect with my big German pal. He’d got run over a few months back but is on the mend. Thanks P&B for the inspiration to extend the hand of friendship to a German.
Is this him?Brigadier_Smith.jpg

55 minutes ago, GordonS said:

There wasn't one ready imminently but it wouldn't have taken too long, IIRC it would have been 2-3 months. After the unspeakable horrors of Okinawa it's extrememly unlikely they'd have sent soldiers to the Japanese home islands, they'd just have waited and dropped A bombs as they made them until the Japanese accepted the inevitable. 

They'd likely have continued with the conventional aerial bombardment too, which, incredibly, was worse than the atomic bombings. In one night, 9-10 March, about 100,000 were killed in the firebombing of Tokyo. 

All the PoWs (In Japan, at least) would have died.

Probably most of the rest of them held elsewhere, too, if Sandakan was anything to go by.

They expected to have another ready later in August, 3 more in September, and 3 in October.

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:
3 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

More people died from conventional bombing in japan. Pretty sure they had more than two bombs, even the threat of more would be enough.

Yes.  More people died when Tokyo was bombed.  However there was one big difference.

When Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed, none of the aircrew died.  No planes were lost.  Nobody had to bail out.  How do you fight a war where you incur massive casualties and the enemy incurs none?

Also what do you do when it only requires a single plane to deliver the bomb?  Are you on the lookout for every single plane?  What clues are there?

Quite a few newsreaders today have said “VD Day” before correcting themselves. Even our very own Sally McNair on the lunchtime news
It's almost like VE day was a minor acknowledgement at most before extremely cringe military fetishism crept into official pandemic response policy

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, JamesConnelly said:

Quite a few newsreaders today have said “VD Day” before correcting themselves. Even our very own Sally McNair on the lunchtime news

It's almost like VE day was a minor acknowledgement at most before extremely cringe military fetishism crept into official pandemic response policy

If it weren’t for the Pandemic the VE celebrations would have been hyped up even more by Johnson.  Street parties, military parades, and more.  The jingoism would be dripping from every UK government spokesperson’s tongue.

3 hours ago, LGF said:

*Disclaimer* Not my house

96512500_3100468056683343_4084621749419769856_o.jpg

Right, that’s me put the bunting up, painted the front of the house, put poppies and a sad soldier silhouette on the door and hung a flag out the window, everyone will see how much I care.

’ have you put anything on the lamppost Dave? , What about the fence Dave? They’ll think you’re one of those ungrateful foreigners if you don’t get that sorted, oh and make sure there’s something in the grass, can’t have people thinking the green is secretly showing we’re part of the other lot.