VE Day celebrations.

54 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

This thread reminded me to reconnect with my big German pal. He’d got run over a few months back but is on the mend. Thanks P&B for the inspiration to extend the hand of friendship to a German.

Traitor!

56 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

This thread reminded me to reconnect with my big German pal. He’d got run over a few months back but is on the mend. Thanks P&B for the inspiration to extend the hand of friendship to a German.

Is that before you finish him off? 

Actually V.E. Day stands for "Victory IN Europe" Day.
We didn't defeat Europe.  We defeated Nazi Germany.  IIRC The Americans and the Russians also played a part.
The war in Europe was won and lost on the Eastern Front. D Day was the back door getting kicked in after the Soviets were already in the living room. Stalingrad was the turning point and Kursk sealed the outcome.

It's telling that, even as the Western Allies were reaching the Rhine, Germany was transferring soldiers from west to east.

If there is one lesson from WW2 it's that it required an international alliance to defeat fascism, no country could do it alone - not even the mighty USSR, who needed resources from the USA.

I don't understand why VE Day is being celebrated more than VJ Day, which was the real end of the war. Allied forces were training and waiting to be sent to the Far East until Japan surrendered, and British forces were still fighting in Burma.

15 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I don't understand why VE Day is being celebrated more than VJ Day, which was the real end of the war. Allied forces were training and waiting to be sent to the Far East until Japan surrendered, and British forces were still fighting in Burma.

That's easy.  Defeating Germany meant no more bombs or rockets landing on British soil. 

4 hours ago, Fullerene said:

.. and. if anybody is feeling a little bit anti-German today.  What day is it today?  I will give you a small clue.

Hindenburg.jpg

That idea went down like a lead balloon

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

The war in Europe was won and lost on the Eastern Front. D Day was the back door getting kicked in after the Soviets were already in the living room. Stalingrad was the turning point and Kursk sealed the outcome.

It's telling that, even as the Western Allies were reaching the Rhine, Germany was transferring soldiers from west to east.

If there is one lesson from WW2 it's that it required an international alliance to defeat fascism, no country could do it alone - not even the mighty USSR, who needed resources from the USA.

Aye, I don't know why we bothered tbh, should just have left the Russians to it. And as for invading Italy, what a waste of time that was...