Left Back of the Season 19/20

Who was the best LB in 19/20?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Apologies if anyone obvious who has had a stint at LB has missed out. For example, Declan McDaid has played some of his best football for us at LWB, but primarily has played on the wing so tried to just fit in the main players.

Lewis Strapp was caught out with his positioning a few times this year but no other team's left backs stood out against Morton this season from memory so can't really pick anyone else. I will say the reason no other club's left back impressed may because our right hand side was so dreadful that I was probably too busy shouting abuse at Welsh for letting the opposition left back swing their 8th cross of the day into the middle to notice who was wandering unopposed into our third.

Harvie has had a couple of rocky moments like the game where Dow got the better of him and his performance down at Palmerston (should note that an Ayr player has never had a brilliant game down there in years) but he’s been the best full back in the league this season by far.

Imo Holt and Marshall are fine left backs but they’ve not had the season Harvie has had.

36 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Dom Thomas tore Jordan Marshall to bits in January. Ryan Dow also absolutely played with Harvie down at Somerset, young man had a shocker.

Think that was his last game for us. Held off getting an operation for that game.

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Harvie for obvious reasons.

4-4-2 because there’s been two strikers head and shoulders above everyone else, and I’m not a fan of TOTYs that cram wingers into a midfield 3.

Could go down the 4-5-1 route as a variant of 4-3-3.

Marshall had a shocker twice at East End Park, in particular the second game he was stinking. I didn't watch us up at Dens though where he may well have played well. 

Despite Dundee being 3rd I'd struggle to vote any of there players in, the only time I've seen them was at EEP and in the Derby's, most likely there worst performances of the season. 

Daniel Harvie got a shaggin by Dom Thomas. 

With that then I'm banging in Lewis Martin, his MoTM performance against Celtic earlier in the season was absolutely outstanding, the best performance of any pars player this season, best left back I've saw in the league this season. 

I think this is the toughest call you will have. I have said before, I think its the strongest position in the League. There are about 6 or 7 of them are good enough to get picked. 

I suspect the answer probably should be Harvie. He has looked good on tv , is highly rated, plays for the u21s etc. However as Djaffo says, he also looks like a competition winner every time he rocks up at Palmerston. Its like he checks his ability in at the door on arrival. His performance in last season's 5-0 game was genuine comedy. 

I rate both Holt and Marshall highly but I am biased. Holt is better simply because he is bigger and better in the air.

I havent seen enough of Lewis Martin. I will vote for Harvie with some reservations though.

As for formation, I prefer 4-4-2 but given the dearth of midfielders and quality of strikers we should go for 4-3-3. If you go go 4-4-2 dont bother having a striker vote and just put Shankland and Nisbett in.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Marshall had a shocker twice at East End Park, in particular the second game he was stinking. I didn't watch us up at Dens though where he may well have played well. 

Despite Dundee being 3rd I'd struggle to vote any of there players in, the only time I've seen them was at EEP and in the Derby's, most likely there worst performances of the season. 

Daniel Harvie got a shaggin by Dom Thomas. 

With that then I'm banging in Lewis Martin, his MoTM performance against Celtic earlier in the season was absolutely outstanding, the best performance of any pars player this season, best left back I've saw in the league this season. 

Hmmm, I doubt this since they haven’t played against each other this season. Not to say he’s not been on the end of a poor performance v another winger in your side, however it most certainly wasn’t Thomas*.

*I think anyway. 

12 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Hmmm, I doubt this since they haven’t played against each other this season. Not to say he’s not been on the end of a poor performance v another winger in your side, however it most certainly wasn’t Thomas*.

*I think anyway. 

Nah you're right, can't have been Dom. 

I've meant Dow but had Thomas on the mind, happens to the best of us. 

Edited by Grant228

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Nah you're right, can't have been Dom. 

I've meant Dow but had Thomas on the mind, happens to the best of us. 

I was thinking it may have been Kiltie, just getting the Killie loans mixed up, but I think you’re right with Dow. 

42 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I was thinking it may have been Kiltie, just getting the Killie loans mixed up, but I think you’re right with Dow. 

Nah I've made a c**t of it. Must've seen Doms name further up and it's stuck in the mind. 

At this stage it looks like Harvie is scooshing it and joining McCrorie in the team of the season.

Ayr fans - Any knowledge of Finn Ecrepoint? Turns out top drawer on FM.

At this stage it looks like Harvie is scooshing it and joining McCrorie in the team of the season.
Ayr fans - Any knowledge of Finn Ecrepoint? Turns out top drawer on FM.

He’s only started one senior game for us but is pretty highly rated within the club. He’ll struggle to get a game whilst we’ve still got Harvie though.

I sold him early doors to Aberdeen and got a loan back with a decent sell on clause.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

He’s only started one senior game for us but is pretty highly rated within the club. He’ll struggle to get a game whilst we’ve still got Harvie though.

I sold him early doors to Aberdeen and got a loan back with a decent sell on clause.

I bought him as a cheap back-up with the plan to bin him once I got to the Prem. Ended up my captain whilst I was having yearly battles with the OF.