An Idiot's Guide to the West of Scotland Football League?!

On 08/05/2020 at 17:24, cmontheloknow said:

No clubs see their crowds fall as they rise up the leagues. Those who'd fall away would be replaced.

I would be happy to see Pollok make it to the SPFL as it could be a great local derby for QP but they would have to spend a bit of money to bring it up to SPFL standard.

I would be happy to see Pollok make it to the SPFL as it could be a great local derby for QP but they would have to spend a bit of money to bring it up to SPFL standard.
Rutherglen Glencairn would be a real local derby for Queen's Park. [emoji6]

On 08/05/2020 at 20:33, TFW said:

A bit of poetic licence there to be honest. My home town of North Cornelly in Glamorgan don't have a football team as far as I'm aware, but I was four when I left Wales so would never have seen them anyway. Followed the mighty Mariners all over the place for the best part of 20 years before heading north. You could say I'm cosmopolitan! You could also say many other things about me, but let's not go there, please....

The nearest football club is Cefn Cribwr in the S.Wales Alliance, and best wishes with the Gas Legend Ian Holloway, wanted him back but the board weren't interested, sadly. Am from Bristol so have seen loads of games over the bridge.

23 hours ago, glensmad said:

Rutherglen Glencairn would be a real local derby for Queen's Park. emoji6.png

Played against them in their old park on the Glasgow Road when the O'Brien brothers and played for them. Always a good game on a tight park, Only been to the new ground once and keep forgetting that they are so close to Hampden. Wee bit tight for car parking on a match day.

Played against them in their old park on the Glasgow Road when the O'Brien brothers and played for them. Always a good game on a tight park, Only been to the new ground once and keep forgetting that they are so close to Hampden. Wee bit tight for car parking on a match day.

There is no lack of car parking space at the new ground, either in the car park or the streets around the park. For every space at the old ground there are probably 20 at the new ground !

33 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

I should have been in Scotland on sat for 11 days, how do I find the ticket donation thing ? and is it just for spfl  clubs I wonder ? Now to look where I could have gone,thanks ⚽

www.donateaticket.com

It's a fantastic site that's really helping a lot of clubs. Plenty of non SPFL clubs on there

I was wondering what derbies we could potentially see in the future. Just in the same town, thanks to the WoSFL we can (potentially) look forward to...

The Kilmarnock derby
Killie v Bonnyton

The Irvine derby
Meadow XI v Vics

The Ayr derby
Ayr Unite v Whitletts Vics

The Glasgow derbies...
Too many to list

The Greenock derby
Greenock v Morton

The Airdrie derby
Airdrie v Gartcairn

The Cumbernauld derbies
Clyde v Colts v United

The East Kilbride Derby
EKFC v Thistle

Irvine's derby already exists. The odds of the others sharing the same league anytime soon seem fairly remote outside Cumbernauld.

If BSC get back into Glasgow there might be something new going on there. Not that clubs would ever ditch their traditional rivals on the grounds of proximity alone

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I was wondering what derbies we could potentially see in the future. Just in the same town, thanks to the WoSFL we can (potentially) look forward to...

The Kilmarnock derby
Killie v Bonnyton

The Irvine derby
Meadow XI v Vics

The Ayr derby
Ayr Unite v Whitletts Vics

The Glasgow derbies...
Too many to list

The Greenock derby
Greenock v Morton

The Airdrie derby
Airdrie v Gartcairn

The Cumbernauld derbies
Clyde v Colts v United

The East Kilbride Derby
EKFC v Thistle

Irvine's derby already exists. The odds of the others sharing the same league anytime soon seem fairly remote outside Cumbernauld.

If BSC get back into Glasgow there might be something new going on there. Not that clubs would ever ditch their traditional rivals on the grounds of proximity alone

Downside is that you really need a semi decent fan base and history for a decent derby. BSC fail on both accounts. 

On 06/05/2020 at 16:43, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I'm asking a genuine question, Do the current junior teams in the East league, that's  west Lothian teams and the northern junior teams still have to vote if they want the ex junior teams in the Scottish cup ?

In the Lowland League, the WOS league games and Scottish South Challenge Cup take priority so I don't see many junior teams able to squeeze the junior cup in, especially with 38 league game sin the tier 6 division

Personally I saw the Junior Cup becoming the Scottish equivalent of the FA Trophy in England.

I suppose there's a few West clubs who have floodlights now so League games could be scheduled for a midweek and some Saturdays allocated for Junior Cup ties.

19 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Personally I saw the Junior Cup becoming the Scottish equivalent of the FA Trophy in England.

I suppose there's a few West clubs who have floodlights now so League games could be scheduled for a midweek and some Saturdays allocated for Junior Cup ties.

Hi Tamthebam

No that wont happen and that's just looking at it from an objective view, the junior cup is a secondary competition so no way will league games be moved to midweek for the junior cup to be played on a Saturday. There's no way on a Saturday junior cup games runs making the league fixtures chaotic working around what teams are in the junior cup and who are not.  its not a priority anymore.  I genuinely think in a couple of years there wont be many teams in the WOS playing in the Scottish junior cup

The Scottish South Challenge cup will have 147 teams from the West and East and South involved, Some fantastic n powerful teams and no trips to the north

The junior cup is weaker, smaller,  opposition from the north and not exciting anymore, so why would any team from the West join it to take the chance of a trip north, coasting them 900 or so quid.  Its up to them right enough but yeah, there's definitely teams in the WOS who will not be renewing their Junior membership.  I could be wrong and don't minds if I am, but I doubt it

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

South of Scotland Challenge Cup will have some great cup ties in next few seasons and will be great to have best of East and West non league playing each other in cup competitions once again. For the West teams playing Bo'ness, Linlithgow Rose, Bonnyrigg Rose, Camelon and other great ex East Junior teams will be exciting and new adventures to South of Scotland and Lowland League teams too we haven't played competitively.

However one major thing needs to be sorted with 50/50 or 60/40 gate receipts split for all rounds in the cup as you could get to semi final and because you have all away games you lose money significantly. Every team will want home games especially at this difficult time cup gates with potential travelling for teams of 50-150 miles split gates should be done so not complete luck of the draw whether you lose or make money in this cup. The Junior Cup is not perfect but you do have split gates. The home team taking full gate seems completely unfair and does need amended asap in my opinion.

If you get to Scottish Junior Cup semi final you will make a very significant amount of money plus in West of Scotland the Junior Cup does still hold far more prestige over a South of Scotland Challenge Cup that has only been going for 13 years and most current West of Scotland teams fans won't even know was a competition until the last few months or even until next season so teams 'supporters' / big game followers won't come out in as big a numbers for a final or semi final of South of Scotland Challenge Cup as they would a Scottish Junior Cup Final or Semi Final. So yeah it could become the premier non league trophy but West teams may well keep their eggs in both baskets for the moment.

It's not perfect but will be an exciting competition once we get going and looking forward to hopefully playing some teams from South and East we haven't played for many years if at all but gate receipts for cup games should always be halved as much as possible in my personal opinion as gives away teams much more incentive to encourage their supporters to travel / put on buses and gets more people through the gates in the end.

There are already a few West teams like Kilwinning Rangers and Darvel not taking up Junior membership for next season and will be a good few others.

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

SJFA had their chance at trying to attempt it. They had a rule change to allow clubs not in a Junior league to remain members of the SJFA. Only they restricted it to those clubs that moved to the WoSFL. They don't want to be an all encompassing competition.

According to a newspaper article at the weekend the SJFA has now gone from 63 members in the West to 53. There were another 8 losses in the East, with a potential 9th. The only new member the SJFA is likely to gain this summer is Rothie Rovers in the North.

There are now more clubs competing in the South Region Challenge Cup than compete in the Junior Cup.