What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

On 12/03/2023 at 13:42, Highland Capital said:

People who get upset when smaller clubs get to cup finals and don't manage to sell Hampden out.  I remember when ICT played Falkirk in the 2015 final, we brought about 15,000.  Falkirk brought about 20,000.  What we brought was roughly double our stadium capacity and Falkirk took about three times theirs.  Yet some people still weren't happy.

What did they think would happen?  These clubs' fanbases would just explode overnight and thousands of fans would essentially fall out of the sky?

In some sporting cultures a showpiece cup final with plenty of spare tickets would attract local neutrals to take them up

Wrexham: National League leaders to face Manchester United in San Diego - BBC Sport

Football League promotion hopefuls Wrexham will face Manchester United in July in the United States.

The National League leaders will take on the Premier League side in San Diego on Tuesday, 25 July at Snapdragon Stadium.

United manager Erik Ten Hag is taking United on tour to prepare them for the 2023-24 season.

Wrexham's Hollywood owners Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney hope they will be a League Two side by then.

Reynolds and McElhenney watched Wrexham's latest victory, a 3-0 win against York City on Saturday, that kept them top of the table with six games left to play this season.

Boss Phil Parkinson said: "We're looking forward to being able to play in the United States for the first time in the club's history. The match against Manchester United is sure to be a memorable occasion.

"The tour will be an excellent opportunity for us to prepare for the 2023-24 season, and the match against Manchester United will be a competitive fixture and a good test for us as we look ahead to the new campaign.

"We enjoy welcoming supporters from the US to the Racecourse Ground, and we're looking forward to being able to play in front of some of these new fans on American soil in the summer."

Every word of this is just heinous.

16 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The "I didn't do it" episode of the Simpsons was on yesterday. I feel like McElhenney and Reynolds are very close to overstaying their welcome.

Sky coverage. They are standing on the pitch, right next to where the Liverpool players are warming up and taking a few shots on goal, then all we hear is them dodging balls and the water being sprayed on the pitch.

Why don’t they just stand away from the players and the water jets? 

‘West Ham are too good to go down’.

Well there not are they, Jamie? They can’t defend for shit and their midfield is pish.  Hence why they’re where they are in the league.

That phrase does my cunt in. Every team that gets relegated fully deserves to, because they’re terrible.

On 25/03/2023 at 21:09, THEHonestman1910 said:

I hate when players put their hand up before taking a corner, wtf is that meant to mean??

Absolutely nothing to back this up, but I assumed it was a signal to their teammates as to where the ball was supposed to be going. For example;

Right hand up - front post

Left hand up - back post

Both hands up - just going to hoof it into the middle and hope for the best 

mr burns GIF

Edited by city_gord

24 minutes ago, city_gord said:

Absolutely nothing to back this up, but I assumed it was a signal to their teammates as to where the ball was supposed to be going. For example;

Right hand up - front post

Left hand up - back post

Both hands up - just going to hoof it into the middle and hope for the best 

mr burns GIF

Yeah and when you put your arm up it tells the opposition where it's going. What's the point?

16 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Yeah and when you put your arm up it tells the opposition where it's going. What's the point?

Not if your signals are different from the opposition team's. 

21 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I think you're overestimating the average footballer's imagination.

Right arm

Left arm

Both arms

It's not going to need Poirot to work it out.

But none of those gestures have any inherent meaning to all professional footballers. It is you who is overestimating professional footballers' attention spans, by expecting them to read an opposition team's set-piece delivery based on hand signals. They're fucking morons.

I would expect the adults in the room (a non-Frank Lampard coach) to establish a system of gestures for their own side. That's about it though.

The forced 'camaraderie' stuff. I fully get the players patting each other on the back/high five stuff pre game. They're out there on the pitch and need to be a unit. I've just watched MOTD and the coaches and managers all shake hands with their opposites - fair game - then go to the dug out and start cuddling etc. Sit in your chair and stop playing up to the cameras.

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

The forced 'camaraderie' stuff. I fully get the players patting each other on the back/high five stuff pre game. They're out there on the pitch and need to be a unit. I've just watched MOTD and the coaches and managers all shake hands with their opposites - fair game - then go to the dug out and start cuddling etc. Sit in your chair and stop playing up to the cameras.

Desperately in need of a hug ^^^^^

Will almost certainly have been covered, but the thing I hate the most is the propensity of attackers to look to win a foul rather than get forward with the ball.

I see it from all teams at all levels. Launch up to an isolated player so he can feel a hand on his back and hit the deck. Then is congratulated with high fives and back pats because the shitebags can inch up the pitch. It's so negative and lacking in confidence and it's brutal to watch it become a game of who can win freekicks closer to the oppositions goal. Particularly when I've had to talk a non football fan into watching a game with me :lol: It's just embarrassing.

When did the game become so risk-averse? 

On 15/04/2023 at 12:59, RawB93 said:

Will almost certainly have been covered, but the thing I hate the most is the propensity of attackers to look to win a foul rather than get forward with the ball.

I see it from all teams at all levels. Launch up to an isolated player so he can feel a hand on his back and hit the deck. Then is congratulated with high fives and back pats because the shitebags can inch up the pitch. It's so negative and lacking in confidence and it's brutal to watch it become a game of who can win freekicks closer to the oppositions goal. Particularly when I've had to talk a non football fan into watching a game with me :lol: It's just embarrassing.

When did the game become so risk-averse? 

You’ve been watching Cove and Arbroath this season haven’t you?

15 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Players apologising on social media for missing a penalty.

Agreed, but only to an extent, I’d be absolutely fine for it to continue if they went all in and apologised for every mistake.

Imagine after a 5-0 win players coming out with

’We tried our best today, but despite our best efforts not everything can go well. I let the side down with my poor touch in the 48th minute which resulted in 30s of opposition possession’

Edited by parsforlife

People who use a completely nonsense threshold to justify unimaginative managerial choices.

"He has links with the club."

"He knows our league."

"He knows Scottish football inside and out!"

It's almost always used by bland supporters and those already in the Scottish football clique to defend one of their own getting another job at some jobber club.  It also explains why they go berserk when a club has the audacity to go for a more out-of-the-box candidate instead of one of their them.

Edited by Highland Capital

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

People who use a completely nonsense threshold to justify unimaginative managerial choices.

"He has links with the club."

"He knows our league."

"He knows Scottish football inside and out!"

It's almost always used by bland supporters and those already in the Scottish football clique to defend one of their own getting another job at some jobber club.  It also explains why they go berserk when a club has the audacity to go for a more out-of-the-box candidate instead of one of their them.

It shows a funny attitude towards the job (any job?) that the idea persists that a qualified professional in an area wouldn't be able to get themselves up to speed quite quickly.

I can't remember the club, but one of the EFL podcasts I listen to had a thing about a new coach coming in last season and this idea came up - 'DISNAE KEN THE LEEEG BUT'. One of the journalists close to that club said that before he took the job the manager had watched (properly watched and analysed) their last ten games as well as selected others from earlier in the season based on varied type of opponents and outcomes. He'd also got several opposition scouting reports on his new team and had full scouting reports on his entire squad.

In other words, he'd prepared. The way folk talk you'd think coaches just turned up and judged everything on the first day's training.

Edited by VincentGuerin