What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

This has been a thing forever, but I fucking hate when defenders get free kicks for falling over when there's the tiniest touch on them from a striker. Harry Maguire is the worst for it just now. Massive centre half gets brushed by a tiny centre forward and he goes over like a redwood, and 99 times out of a hundred the ref blows for a free kick. They're always "clever" and the striker "stupid" when they get the free kicks as well, when if it was the other way around the striker would be called out for going over too easy. 

• 10 months later...
On 24/03/2021 at 21:44, Coooombe said:

They're always "clever" and the striker "stupid" when they get the free kicks as well, when if it was the other way around the striker would be called out for going over too easy. 

I totally agree with alll of your post but this bit is what annoys me a lot at the moment. 

Players falling over at the slightest touch but somehow, to justify the obvious dive, the commentator or pundit will say “it was a daft challenge” or “stupid foul” even though the player barely did anything.  

It’s not just the player doing it but that people commentating try to make it be acceptable that gets me.

Edited by Jambomo

"Momentum got him, there"
"Obviously he could sense the contact coming and went down to protect himself"
"When you're travelling that fast, even the slightest touch is enough"

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

"Momentum got him, there"
"Obviously he could sense the contact coming and went down to protect himself"
"When you're travelling that fast, even the slightest touch is enough"

Tbf the third point there is fair enough. When you're running full pelt it actually doesn't take much to send you flying. 

The omerta around diving and associated cheating reminds me of watching the Tour de France all through the noughties and the commentators would do their best not to mention doping at all, especially with reference to Armstrong. It's worse than that with football as the cheating is so multivarious and obvious.

So I guess my footballing pttgomn is dishonest commentary and propaganda, where commentators won't say anything that impugns the English game, whether that be ignoring diving, cheating, Harry McGuire's utter shiteness, or in tournaments such as the WC or AFCON, overly focussing on English based players.

4 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I totally agree with alll of your post but this bit is what annoys me a lot at the moment. 

Players falling over at the slightest touch but somehow, to justify the obvious dive, the commentator or pundit will say “it was a daft challenge” or “stupid foul” even though the player barely did anything.  

It’s not just the player doing it but that people commentating try to make it be acceptable that gets me.

Worst example of that is 'you heard the scream when he went down' as if it wasn't now a standard part of the cheating process. 

On 24/03/2021 at 12:44, HalfCutNinja said:

As opposed to half a tie being rendered pointless, or even more given the incentive is for both teams to do that.

I can't be bothered arguing all day about this. Away goals is a brilliant rule and makes games and ties way more entertaining than they otherwise would be, leaving ties on a knife edge. Its here to stay, cause it should be.

Home advantage is a massive deal and always will be, and away goals is a fantatic facet of two-legged ties. If you disagree that's fine I will get over it.

The away goals rule is dead so not necessarily much point debating it now but my issue with it is that the first legs are often pretty drab because a 0-0 draw isn’t a bad result for either team. The team playing at away first backs themselves to win at home, whilst the team playing home first fancy their chances at a 1-1 draw in the second leg. 

1) Managers, players and pundits complaining about fixture congestion and how it isnt fair on the players. Even taking away that they get to do a job most of us would do just about anything to be able to do for a living, most teams who experience fixture congestion are the ones who get to the latter stages of Europe and cup competitions and invariably have huge squads. Its up to the managers to manage his player's fitness by picking and choosing when they play rather than the same 13 or 14 players playing every single game. 

2) Fans going off the nut when an opposition player steals a few meters at a throw in or the ball isnt perfectly on the line at a corner. It barely matters, settle down.

3) Players and managers constantly deflecting blame for draws or defeats on marginal refereeing decisions (looking at you Robbie Neilson). More often than not things like marginal offsides or debateable penalties come immediately after shite defending. Teams/managers/players/fans should take more accountability for their own ineptitude rather than bitching and moaning about the referee all the time.

Folk who huff and puff at short corners.  Corners hoofed into the box are wildly wildly overrated.  Folk get excited when a corner is given but they hardly ever result in a goal.

By a similar token, folk who huff and puff about the goalkeeper passing the ball out from the back.  Apparently some people like the ball hoofed up the park and lose possession.

Edited by Highland Capital

18 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Players falling over and grabbing the ball when they claim to be fouled.

Deliberate handball should be a straight red unless you do it Gavin Gunning style.

I don't think I've ever seen a player do that and the ref not blow for a foul, even if it looks like they weren't touched.

Even if it is an obvious foul, there's a wee bit of me hoping the ref will card them just to prove wha's in cherge.

On 16/02/2022 at 19:34, DiegoDiego said:

Deliberate handball should be a straight red unless you do it Gavin Gunning style.

I'd love this.  Players deliberately handling then trying their best gunning impression to avoid the red card.  Pundits analysing if the player did a good enough huff or if they should be sent off.

Edited by parsforlife

20 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Players falling over and grabbing the ball when they claim to be fouled.

19 hours ago, BFTD said:

I don't think I've ever seen a player do that and the ref not blow for a foul, even if it looks like they weren't touched.

Even if it is an obvious foul, there's a wee bit of me hoping the ref will card them just to prove wha's in cherge.

Couldn't agree more. Totally does my head it.

Just time-wasting in general. Some examples being:

Players pretending to be injured,  pretending to have head knocks, and keepers doing that silly little dive when there is no reason to after catching the ball.

It doesn't infuriate me but it has got to the point where the only football I watch is Aberdeen, Scotland, some Boro, and major international tournament matches. Can't be arsed spending 97 minutes to watch a match I don't care about where it feels like the ball is in play for around 50. 

21 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Handball is a total nonsense, let c***s use their arms and only call it for the actual hand ✌️