Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bluenortherner

What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

Recommended Posts

Fans who scream non constructive things like... 

- 'elbows oot lads!' (when player jumps for header) 

- 'Bin him' (when going for a slide tackle) what does that even mean? 

- And my personal favourate 'break his legs' (again when going for a slide tackle) 

Why?... Just why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just really the lack of match programmes is the thing that annoys me. I know they don't sell particularly well these days. But ive been collecting since my first game in 1988. And had one for all my games until I started going to European away games in the late 90s Some countries just don't do them. Some are sporadic, like In Spain. Got one at Real Betis but none at Sevilla. Now some clubs in Scotland seem to be fazing them out. Went to Hibernian Ladies V Glasgow City last year, They had a programme but only online. And unable to download it.  Queens Park is only online to, but at least you can download and print it off. Would be nice is available at the stadium I'd happily pay for one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest JTS98

Childish macho behaviour among both players and fans.

In players it tends to manifest itself in needlessly aggressive tackling or the kind of ridiculous snarling faces footballers seem so fond of.

The behaviour of most footballers on the pitch and the stories you hear of them in training (all the BANTZ!!!) etc are generally appalling and can only be a result of having gone straight from school into another childish environment. They've never grown up.

I was a good footballer as a kid and spent time at a few SPFL clubs until my mid-teens. I have friends who became professional footballers. As a young man I was very jealous of this. Now I think I'd have hated it. It sounds like a terrible environment to work in and it would take a lot of effort to not become an utter bellend. A mate of mine who now plays in the lower leagues having played in the top flight for years told me that going part-time was the best thing that ever happened to him, as getting another job allowed him to make some 'normal' friends.

In fans it tends to show up in big groups of people dressed in silly clothes who seem to enjoy walking with their shoulders implausibly far back while seeking out eye contact with passing strangers.

Also, people who are overly partisan. Again, the older I get, the more stupid this seems. I'm a Hearts supporter and I want Hearts to win. But the idea of just backing Hearts' position all the time or slating Hibs' position etc just seems daft. Football is more enjoyable when you engage with it using your brain. There's a lot to enjoy.

I've mentioned this lad before, and I'm perhaps being unfair as he's far from the only example, but he's a very good example. There's a guy called Matt McGlone who I believe writes/used to write for both Celtic and Celtic fanzines. It's worth nipping down his Twitter feed for a laugh. On every single issue quite remarkably seems to agree with Celtic's stance and find Rangers' stance objectionable. What's the point?

It must be a shite way to live.

Edited by JTS98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Childish macho behaviour among both players and fans.

In players it tends to manifest itself in needlessly aggressive tackling or the kind of ridiculous snarling faces footballers seem so fond of.

The behaviour of most footballers on the pitch and the stories you hear of them in training (all the BANTZ!!!) etc are generally appalling and can only be a result of having gone straight from school into another childish environment. They've never grown up.

I was a good footballer as a kid and spent time at a few SPFL clubs until my mid-teens. I have friends who became professional footballers. As a young man I was very jealous of this. Now I think I'd have hated it. It sounds like a terrible environment to work in and it would take a lot of effort to not become an utter bellend. A mate of mine who now plays in the lower leagues having played in the top flight for years told me that going part-time was the best thing that ever happened to him, as getting another job allowed him to make some 'normal' friends.

In fans it tends to show up in big groups of people dressed in silly clothes who seem to enjoy walking with their shoulders implausibly far back while seeking out eye contact with passing strangers.

Also, people who are overly partisan. Again, the older I get, the more stupid this seems. I'm a Hearts supporter and I want Hearts to win. But the idea of just backing Hearts' position all the time or slating Hibs' position etc just seems daft. Football is more enjoyable when you engage with it using your brain. There's a lot to enjoy.

I've mentioned this lad before, and I'm perhaps being unfair as he's far from the only example, but he's a very good example. There's a guy called Matt McGlone who I believe writes/used to write for both Celtic and Celtic fanzines. It's worth nipping down his Twitter feed for a laugh. On every single issue quite remarkably seems to agree with Celtic's stance and find Rangers' stance objectionable. What's the point?

It must be a shite way to live.

I agree with everything you've just said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I've mentioned this lad before, and I'm perhaps being unfair as he's far from the only example, but he's a very good example. There's a guy called Matt McGlone who I believe writes/used to write for both Celtic and Celtic fanzines. It's worth nipping down his Twitter feed for a laugh. On every single issue quite remarkably seems to agree with Celtic's stance and find Rangers' stance objectionable. What's the point?

It must be a shite way to live.

Certainly does, just googled him..

image.thumb.png.eed183b2ff3aba25195c0c45be32f931.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fans who get way too close to their club.  We've had folk who've way overstepped the boundaries - including tweeting the players constantly, going to every club event going and generally thinking that players are personal friends of theirs.  We even had one fan who put up a picture of her own daugher crying because Kevin McNaughton had left!  He barely played for us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being in the same league as teams who can buy the title in January if there summer splashing of the cash isn't working. Very rarely does a team with the most money not win their league in Scotland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

crying because Kevin McNaughton had left!  He barely played for us!

You should have too. Great c**t. 

Talented artist anaw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dele said:

You should have too. Great c**t. 

Talented artist anaw. 

He was good when he did play!  Sadly, he spent about three-quarters of his time with us out injured.

Edited by Highland Capital

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2020 at 17:14, bairney said:

Divers and cheats. The slightest touch from an opponent and these fit professionals are down like a sack of spuds, arms in the air appealing to the ref for a pen or a free kick just outside the box. The higher the level, the worse it gets. Blatant cheating that makes a mockery of a 'competitive' game.

 

^^^^^^Yer Da'.

If you're not cheating, you're not trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fans who can't sit (or stand) still. There's a group infront of me at home games who every game without fail will rock up bang on kick off or later and will then take ages finding their seats, inconveniencing  everyone around them, then during the game they are constantly moving around and swapping seats or getting up to go to the kiosks/toilets/whatever. I'd say there's about 6/7 of them and all apart from 1 are over the age of 18, the 2 da's shout complete shite the whole time and half the "kids" don't watch a single bit of the game, the only one who's well behaved is the actual wean. It's probably the one thing I'm not looking forward to about lockdown ending, be buzzing to get back to a game after all this time and then be hating it less than a minute in when these roasters stroll in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2020 at 17:23, Highland Capital said:

Fans who constantly refer to footballers only by their first names.  Particularly if they don't know them personally.

"Great pass Dave."

Nicknames is worse, gid ba smudger. cringe

Usually something good is first name, something bad is surname.

Good effort john

fjck sake smith, that’s p!sh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Nicknames is worse, gid ba smudger. cringe

Usually something good is first name, something bad is surname.

Good effort john

fjck sake smith, that’s p!sh

Absolutely this, and it's all the worse because football nicknames are all cretinous moronic shite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Absolutely this, and it's all the worse because football nicknames are all cretinous moronic shite.

I don't think there's a single thing in the entire world lacking imagination or individuality more than the modern-day footballer's nickname. 'Smithy', 'Jonesy' and 'Pates' aren't nicknames, they're just people's surnames with an added or removed syllable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, smpar said:

I don't think there's a single thing in the entire world lacking imagination or individuality more than the modern-day footballer's nickname. 'Smithy', 'Jonesy' and 'Pates' aren't nicknames, they're just people's surnames with an added or removed syllable. 

Concurred. Not even the merest bit of thought goes in to them. 'Ryzo' and 'Craggs' were recent ones at East End and any time I heard someone shout it I lost a vertebrae due to cringing.

If they aren't that, they're just recycled crap like the aforementioned 'Smudger' etc.

Children are more inventive when it comes to nicknames.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While at City, Kiki Musampa was nicknamed simply ‘Chris’. 

So he was known as Chris Musampa.

Suppose it worked better when spoken with an English accent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...