What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

On 11/12/2020 at 17:36, TheScarf said:

Managers and fans who scream bloody murder when the elapsed time goes beyond the minimum amount to be played.  The clue is in the word minimum really.  The game doesn't stop on 92 minutes dead when the there's been a minimum of 2 minutes to be played.  It's nearly 2021 and people still can't grasp this.

I would add; the fact that football doesn't just stop the clock when the ball isn't in play annoys me, it would solve a few issues if it did.

Half time "entertainment".  Utter shite.
Would rather see a whole orchestra wheeled onto the pitch for a quick bit of Shostakovich.
Or scantily clad women wrestling in oil. 
Simple pleasures. 
Half-time is just rubbish in general.

On 07/12/2020 at 01:41, TheJTS98 said:

That's the wider point about the whole thing. The shitey handball rule and VAR both come from fitba people being cry-babies for decades and blaming their short-comings on referees.

A quick Google brings up loads of examples of 'Coach x calling for video technology'. Arsene Wenger interestingly claimed that it definitely would not slow the game down. Aye.

Add together cry-baby players, fans, and coaches, TV's ever-growing willingness to make itself the star of the show, and the utterly fatuous but bafflingly popular 'There's so much money on the line now' argument from simpletons and you have the perfect storm. The hand-ball fuss is obviously exacerbated by VAR.

Once you let TV in, it doesn't go out. This will continue to march in one direction.

I've been saying this for years. Add in nonsense like "It's costing people their jobs!" and "It's cost a team a place in the league" or similar variations.

The shite system they now have in England is exactly what they deserve for years of shitebaggery in blaming the officials and the refusal to take responsibility for things.

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I would add; the fact that football doesn't just stop the clock when the ball isn't in play annoys me, it would solve a few issues if it did.

A terrible idea. Games could last for ages!

Guest TheJTS98
11 hours ago, accies1874 said:
11 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:
Half time "entertainment".  Utter shite.
Would rather see a whole orchestra wheeled onto the pitch for a quick bit of Shostakovich.
Or scantily clad women wrestling in oil. 
Simple pleasures. 

Half-time is just rubbish in general.

Half time has been utterly ruined by smartphones.

It used to be great. Time for a pish, listen to the half times and check on 1) how Hibs are getting on and 2) how's my coupon doing.

Now everyone knows all the scores all the time so there's no fun and most people just spend half time staring at Twitter like boring fucks.

Edited by TheJTS98

Guest TheJTS98
10 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I've been saying this for years. Add in nonsense like "It's costing people their jobs!" and "It's cost a team a place in the league" or similar variations.

The jobs thing is funny.

It's ok that the lassies in the Club X ticket office lost their jobs, because that striker was actually offside (after slowing down and checking for four minutes to see position of toe).

Would it have been more or less tragic if they'd lost their job and he'd been onside?

Who fucking cares?

15 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Something I dislike about modern football? This sort of thing:

If it gets to the point where someone talks about Celtic vs Hearts in the William Hill this weekend I might quit society altogether.

See lots of people calling it the 'BPL' and it makes me want to brutally murder them. I don't even if they're utter c***s (Barclays) us just very stupid (British).

7 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

The jobs thing is funny.

It's ok that the lassies in the Club X ticket office lost their jobs, because that striker was actually offside (after slowing down and checking for four minutes to see position of toe).

Would it have been more or less tragic if they'd lost their job and he'd been onside?

Who fucking cares?

The job losses thing is massively overstated as well I think. I doubt loads of club are being punted when a team gets relegated, especially in England when you get about a trillion pounds for being relegated from the top league.

Guest TheJTS98
5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The job losses thing is massively overstated as well I think. I doubt loads of club are being punted when a team gets relegated, especially in England when you get about a trillion pounds for being relegated from the top league.

True. Also, anybody who works for a business that might have to trim staff because of sporting performance probably walks into that job with their eyes open to that fact.

BUT THERE'S SO MUCH AT STAKE! (There isn't. It's a game.)

Edited by TheJTS98

7 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

True. Also, anybody who works for a business that might have to trim staff because of sporting performance probably walks into that job with their eyes open to that fact.

BUT THERE'S SO MUCH AT STAKE! (There isn't. It's a game.)

See also:

MANAGERS LOSE THEIR JOB BECAUSE OF POOR DECISIONS!!!

No, managers are sacked either because of a sustained run of shite results or because of a mental owner.

CLUBS ARE RELEGATED BECAUSE OF A MISTAKE!!!!

No, clubs are relegated because they are pish. Referees don't make the pish concede loads of goals. Referees don't fail to convert chances. Referees don't lose their marker and let them score. And so on.

See also:
MANAGERS LOSE THEIR JOB BECAUSE OF POOR DECISIONS!!!
No, managers are sacked either because of a sustained run of shite results or because of a mental owner.

Oh how I wish that were true for us. Or at the very least we had Charlie Bronson on the BoD.

21 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

A terrible idea. Games could last for ages!

I'm genuinely amazed that TV companies haven't picked up on this and wanted it changed. Apparently the average time a ball is in play is 60 minutes (god knows what it is in Scottish lower leagues with no multi-ball system and balls getting booted into empty stands). One simple change would increase their playing time coverage by 50%. Given the obsession with accuracy in other areas of the game it has always puzzled me why something as fundamental as how long the game is played for seems to be so 'unscientific' (why is it at the end of a 5-0 thrashing there is only ever 1 minute of stoppage time, no matter how many stoppages there has actually been?!).

Like you, I'd probably get bored and not be able to sit through it all. But on the other hand you'd probably get some time back due to a decrease in players time wasting. For a short while at least it would be really interesting to see, I think it would have a bigger effect on how teams approach games than we might think. It would also be much harder for underdogs to beat better teams, which given the power the big clubs hold is another reason I'm surprised it hasn't been suggested.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Guest TheJTS98
2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'm genuinely amazed that TV companies haven't picked up on this and wanted it changed.

Don't think they care. It's all just something to have on to show adverts around, so I don't see why they'd want it to be longer.

If the game lasted longer, it would have ad breaks.

Know what I hate, there wasnae that much wrong with the rules of football for 150 years.  Nowaday you get total fanboy wanks tinkering with them every fucking year as if they're making it better and they never do.

In my life two rule changes have improved the game, away goals and the backpass rule. Everything else is utter w**k designed by utter wanks that was completely unnecessary an utter shambles and improved the game not one iota. 

Also pisses me off that they use a new ball for every WC and everyone spends the entire group stage over-hitting crosses that float way over everyone's heads.  Idiotic and all about money.  And the amount of fandan tickets at the big games now, you get a 90 thousand all seater with only about 25 thousand actual fans there.  

Know what I hate, there wasnae that much wrong with the rules of football for 150 years.

I think you're going back a bit too far there. 150 years ago the English were still taking throw ins by rolling the ball along the ground one handed.
In my life two rule changes have improved the game, away goals and the backpass rule. Everything else is utter w**k designed by utter wanks that was completely unnecessary an utter shambles and improved the game not one iota.

I'm not sure of your age but from what I gather coin tosses were still deciding games in your lifetime. The first substitute in Scottish football was also in the sixties. I quite like three points for a win as well.

The jobs thing is funny.
Who fucking cares?

Presumably it refers to coaches getting sacked after a poor run of results

But there will be about as many people keeping their jobs because of dodgy decisions bringing bad runs to an end