What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

Playing in our 6 a side league on Thursday night, the opposition's attack breaks down, the English guy I was marking shouted "recycle it"

Very proud of myself for not getting a red card for violent conduct, took the moral high ground and called him a fanny.

23 hours ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Highlights of games wasting time showing the inevitable "goal kick as full time goes". 

Its fair enough for extended highlights, but if the highlights are only a few minutes long its particularly annoying. Show us the actual highlights, not a referee blowing a whistle. 

See also the kickoff being taken and the footage continuing until the ball goes out of play* even if nothing significant happens. We know the game kicked off, we don't need to see it, just show the first actual highlight.

*usually for a throw-in to be taken by the right back after the ball was launched high, long, and straight  out the park.

On 04/03/2023 at 20:16, Salvo Montalbano said:

The thing that was annoying me was the Viaplay ads I heard in the lead up to the League Cup final where the voice-over guy kept on saying "Fit-bah" whereas I say (and always consider the correct way of saying it) "Fit-baw". The former always sounds to me like an English person trying to say it (like when Max Rushden does Fitba corner on the Guardian podcast).

I was going to say the exact same thing about the Viaplay ad.  Felt really shoehorned in as well. "Its Scottish fitba and the bragging rights are at stake".  

People who get upset when smaller clubs get to cup finals and don't manage to sell Hampden out.  I remember when ICT played Falkirk in the 2015 final, we brought about 15,000.  Falkirk brought about 20,000.  What we brought was roughly double our stadium capacity and Falkirk took about three times theirs.  Yet some people still weren't happy.

What did they think would happen?  These clubs' fanbases would just explode overnight and thousands of fans would essentially fall out of the sky?

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

People who get upset when smaller clubs get to cup finals and don't manage to sell Hampden out.  I remember when ICT played Falkirk in the 2015 final, we brought about 15,000.  Falkirk brought about 20,000.  What we brought was roughly double our stadium capacity and Falkirk took about three times theirs.  Yet some people still weren't happy.

What did they think would happen?  These clubs' fanbases would just explode overnight and thousands of fans would essentially fall out of the sky?

And if you were to fill your allocation, you'll just get blamed of being gloryhunters who don't turn up at regular games. You can never win...

56 minutes ago, Marten said:

And if you were to fill your allocation, you'll just get blamed of being gloryhunters who don't turn up at regular games. You can never win...

There were 47000 at the 2010 cup final between ourselves and Ross County.

When I went into work on the Tuesday (having sensibly taken the Monday off), that was the first comment I heard from our resident Celtic and Rangers fans

On 24/02/2023 at 12:39, IncomingExile said:

Alongside 'Team P has not won a league match against Team D for seventy-three years' when they have only been in the same division for three of those years. 

Random letters, by the way. No big team found.  

Reading this reminds me of The Caley's record v Raith and Ayr.

Raith haven't beaten us in the league since 2000 or something.  We've only been in the same league for about 4 years in that time.  Ayr is some other similar record, when we were in the SPL/Premiership they were in League One/Championship for the vast majority of that time.  There was one a couple of years ago 'The Caley beat East Fife for the first time since 1999.'  It was the first time we'd played them since then.

The stat only really works for big clubs who play in the same league for extended periods of time, or for all time.  For example something like 'Aberdeen haven't won at Parkhead since 2003' or something like that.  Or 'Spurs haven't won at Stamford Bridge for 23 years'.  Both made up stats but you get what I mean.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The stat only really works for big clubs who play in the same league for extended periods of time, or for all time.  For example something like 'Aberdeen haven't won at Parkhead since 2003' or something like that.  Or 'Spurs haven't won at Stamford Bridge for 23 years'.  Both made up stats but you get what I mean.

We had some stats like that for a long time.  I remember we didn't beat Aberdeen until about 2008 despite being in the same league as them for about five years and getting them in the cups.  It took Hibs years to win at the Caley Stadium as well despite playing there probably a couple of dozen times.

I think that is more an east coast/ west coast thing. 

Growing up in Aberdeen, we always referred to it as the fitba. 

Only heard people referring to it as fit-baw when down in Glasgow area. 

I don’t think either is right or wrong or “English” 

Not sure how people in Edinburgh / Fife / highlands etc pronounce it? 

2 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

I think that is more an east coast/ west coast thing. 

Growing up in Aberdeen, we always referred to it as the fitba. 

Only heard people referring to it as fit-baw when down in Glasgow area. 

I don’t think either is right or wrong or “English” 

Not sure how people in Edinburgh / Fife / highlands etc pronounce it? 

It’s “fitbaw” right across the central belt in my experience. Think Borders are the same but reverts back to “fitba” in Dumfries & Galloway. 

As for things I hate about fitbaw and has probably been said already - Is the B teams being allowed into the LL.

The way some fans talk about Hampden is bizarre - unless it's near full it's absolutely rubbish.  Miles from the pitch and even with a reasonable crowd can be absolutely soulless.  The way some people talk about it you'd think it was a world class stadium.

I think a ball in play clock would be terrible, and incredibly error prone at lower levels but given that top level football is now different with VAR I can't see at that level why they can't have a timekeeper to stop the clock after goals (which would help stop the handbags when a team 2 goals down scores and a defender/ keeper holds onto the ball while the scorer tries to retrieve it), for subs, and when physios are on the field of play, with the ref still having discretion to add on further time for time wasting / non physio treated injuries. 

Also think taking too long over a set piece should result in the opposition team being awarded a set piece, for a free kick outside the box you take it from the same spot but if in the defensive team's box e.g. A keeper delaying a goal kick, then it's a corner (as much as I love indirect free kicks in the box). Yellow cards aren't a sufficient deterrent and players get a second yellow once in a blue moon for time wasting. 

On 15/03/2023 at 08:26, 8MileBU said:

It’s “fitbaw” right across the central belt in my experience. Think Borders are the same but reverts back to “fitba” in Dumfries & Galloway. 

As for things I hate about fitbaw and has probably been said already - Is the B teams being allowed into the LL.

As long as it’s not ‘footy’. Any Scottish person using that term needs fired straight to England/into the sun.