What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

17 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

CraigKillie.

Why exactly? Craig has rinsed me on a few occasions, on reflection rightfully so, he is usually correct in what he says & even when it is an opinion call I can never fault his logic.

On 28/06/2022 at 12:58, TheScarf said:

The notion that anyone outside Scotland or Belfast care about Scottish football is laughable.

Which makes it even more tragic when the media here cry about how things look to others, which is surprisingly often. I mind that they, and some posters on here, were banging on about how bad not having VAR will look when other nations in Europe have it. As if anyone would give a shit.

It's similar to Scottish people following Welsh or Irish football, why on earth would they?

I am not bothered in the slightest if English people don't follow Scottish football or know anything about it.

What should be called out is if they are ignorant, but pretend to know what they are talking about (i.e. the standard is rubbish, it's league one standard etc) or assuming everyone is an EPL fan really. It takes a pretty sad individual to need to bring someone else down to make themselves feel better, imagine an American guy going around the world bragging about how good their military is relative to much smaller countries. Tragic.

People who uses a player's youth/young career as a barometer of how good a player is.  You usually see it when there's a new signing who fans aren't impressed with.  There's always some happy clapper who says something like "Well he was in Celtic's youth team so he must have something!"

You see it particularly with English players who've been at the big clubs down south but the Premier League clubs' academies are absolutely massive.  I've seen former Arsenal and Man United academy players join Caley Thistle in the past and some of them were absolutely pish.

Edited by Highland Capital

21 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

People who uses a player's youth/young career as a barometer of how good a player is.  You usually see it when there's a new signing who fans aren't impressed with.  There's always some happy clapper who says something like "Well he was in Celtic's youth team so he must have something!"

You see it particularly with English players who've been at the big clubs down south but the Premier League clubs' academies are absolutely massive.  I've seen former Arsenal and Man United academy players join Caley Thistle in the past and some of them were absolutely pish.

Falkirk had some great examples of this the season they went down to League 1. I seem to particularly recall some lad who was captain of the Chelsea under 21s or something who was a total jobber and massively out of his depth in the Scottish Championship.

42 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Falkirk had some great examples of this the season they went down to League 1. I seem to particularly recall some lad who was captain of the Chelsea under 21s or something who was a total jobber and massively out of his depth in the Scottish Championship.

Ruben Sammit on loan from Chelsea,  was apparently on double figures a week at Chelsea,  now retired aged 24 doing scouting for Chelsea I’m sure. 
Some career after leaving us.

B3DCD47A-4F77-4E05-BD51-A8AB73F3A0C2.jpeg

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

People who do this completely fail to understand the structure of youth fitba. The vast majority of players are jersey-fillers to provide a team for the (usually maximum) two or three players the club think might make it.

Someone who is in Celtic's youth team is probably a better player than you or me, but there's absolutely no reason to assume they'll be good enough to play professionally at a high level. They probably won't be.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Off the top of my head in the last few decade or so ICT have had -

Larnell Cole (ex-Man United) - A few flashes of quality but mostly a passenger.  Now at Radcliffe Borough.

Philip Roberts (on loan from Arsenal) - A few flashes of brilliance but otherwise pish.  Now at Tilbury.

Matthew Elsdon (ex-Sunderland and Middlesborough) - Absolutely garbage.  Recently released by Clyde.

Andre Blackman (Ex-Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham) (on loan from Celtic) - Had some quality but a complete moron.  Punted after two games.  Now at Dulwich Hamlet.

George Brislen-Hall (Ex-Arsenal) - Never played.  Last seen playing for Aylesbury Town.

Edited by Highland Capital

8 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Ruben Sammit on loan from Chelsea,  was apparently on double figures a week at Chelsea,  now retired aged 24 doing scouting for Chelsea I’m sure. 
Some career after leaving us.

B3DCD47A-4F77-4E05-BD51-A8AB73F3A0C2.jpeg

Aye, that's the lad! Utter pish. Who was the player who ran away from the ball when we beat you 2-4 at TFS?

6 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Larnell Cole (ex-Man United) - A few flashes of quality but mostly a passenger.  Now at Radcliffe Borough.

Philip Roberts (on loan from Arsenal) - A few flashes of brilliance but otherwise pish.  Now at Tilbury.

Matthew Elsdon (ex-Sunderland and Middlesborough) - Absolutely garbage.  Recently released by Clyde.

Andre Blackman (Ex-Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham) (on loan from Celtic) - Had some quality but a complete moron.  Punted after two games.  Now at Dulwich Hamlet.

George Brislen-Hall (Ex-Arsenal) - Never played.  Last seen playing for Aylesbury Town.

Jobberific.

8 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

People who do this completely fail to understand the structure of youth fitba. The vast majority of players are jersey-fillers to provide a team for the (usually maximum) two or three players the club think might make it.

Someone who is in Celtic's youth team is probably a better player than you or me, but there's absolutely no reason to assume they'll be good enough to play professionally at a high level. They probably won't be.

I was going to post basically this.  The term 'shirt filler' is incredibly apt, 95% of all youth players, at any professional club, are used as team mates for the players the club know will be first teamers/sell-able assets.

All of Ryan Christie and Liam Polworth's, for example, team mates in the The Caley youth team now don't play or play in the HL at best, most play NCL or amateur.

'He played under 17s and 19s for Rangers'.  Aye very good, he's shite.

35 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye, that's the lad! Utter pish. Who was the player who ran away from the ball when we beat you 2-4 at TFS?

Jobberific.

Love islands very own Dennon Lewis!

On 28/06/2022 at 13:04, DiegoDiego said:

I find Germans to have excellent football knowledge, as do random Balkan folk who are big into betting. I met one twenty year old German tourist last month who said "Ah, Partick Thistle, yes you lost to Inverness in the playoff didn't you?". He was a Bayern Munich fan as well, so it wasn't exactly in diddy solidarity either.

I was on the train from Motherwell going to work one morning and there was a bunch of Germans, four or five of them chatting away just up the carriage.  As the train went past New Douglas Park the group got super excited. faces pressed against the window, virtually hyperventilating. 

If it'd had been the Maracanã it would have been excessive.

Odd, odd behaviour.  

9 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

True, looking at the websites from National League right down NCEL etc, the player move news is full of ex-insert big team here, or Academy product.

Ruben Sammit on loan from Chelsea,  was apparently on double figures a week at Chelsea

Disgusting, not even minimum wage.

Pretty sure Gabriel Piccolo was Barcelona U19 captain or something. Don't think he played professionally again after leaving us.

I think I've mentioned this before but fans who refer to players exclusively by their first names.  I overheard a couple of fans at the Caley Stadium a few years back talking about how "Lyndon had scored for Livi".  I didn't know who they were talking about.  "Do Livingston have a player called David Lyndon or something I haven't heard of?" I thought to myself. 

It only dawned on me later they were talking about Lyndon Dykes!

4 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Disgusting, not even minimum wage.

Pretty sure Gabriel Piccolo was Barcelona U19 captain or something. Don't think he played professionally again after leaving us.

That was Simon Colina Dominguez who we signed the same season as Piccolo.

Made zero competitive appearances for us, and has since bounced around the lower leagues in Cyprus, Poland, Norway, Iceland and was most recently plying his trade in Andorra.

We also had Henoc Mukendi on loan from Liverpool that season, who played about 4 minutes in a league cup game and was never seen again. He’s gone on to play for a litany of English clubs that no ones ever heard of:

EF22105A-21FC-4E7A-A0D3-8523912DCC0B.thumb.jpeg.24c8c0dc874a8560cddbc22af1a4320e.jpeg