What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think this was a consequence of people complaining that the play-off winners got a trophy but the team who finished ahead of them didn't.

Thought that might be the case but it’s still good point and laugh material.

Third place gets automatic promotion in League 2, I wonder if they get a wee trophy for their efforts too.

On 03/06/2022 at 20:26, Raidernation said:

National teams playing in all one colour strips
ETA: American “sakka” commentators on Europe international football.

indeed

unfortunately scotland havent joined the small group whove told fifa to f**k themselves

• 3 weeks later...

When a player is described as “a great servant to the club” - as if said player has been playing for said club out of the goodness of their own heart, rather than because they were getting a wage out of it.

It’s exponentially even more annoying when it’s used to describe some c**t who’s earning hundreds of thousands a week.

It may have already been mentioned, but I hate the new rules around there being no drop ball contests anymore. 

The game could be really dull, but would spark into life with a contested drop ball.

There was nothing better than seeing Billy Abercromby taking on all comers with a drop ball. Even Souness shat it from the bold Aber.

Rooney has the right idea.

1 minute ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

It may have already been mentioned, but I hate the new rules around there being no drop ball contests anymore. 

The game could be really dull, but would spark into life with a contested drop ball.

There was nothing better than seeing Billy Abercromby taking on all comers with a drop ball. Even Souness shat it from the bold Aber.

Rooney has the right idea.

Proof that the England captain could decapitate someone on the pitch and only get a (vigorously protested) yellow for it.

One of the most bizarre incidents was when he got off scot free for elbowing James McCarthy off the ball but then did get banned for swearing into a TV camera.

Kane keeping up the stereotype with the incredibly dangerous backing in mid air foul and blatant diving.

I hate watching a WC or some other international tournie and have the inevitable waffle about how many players are playing for which teams in the EPL. "A goal made in the Premiership..." etc. Never used to bother me but it's just got so tiresome now. Especially as we don't really get our own commentary, so it IS supposed to be for all of the UK...yet other clubs in other Leagues are never mentioned. Maybe Celtic and Rangers at a push, if the likes of any of their players are playing in Qatar. But I really care not one fucking jot who they play for...

Kind of brings home that a WC was a magical event when I was a kid, with different nations with exotic names playing different types of football. Now they're just well televised orgies starring your well known faces from the Big Star Leagues. 

f**k them all etc...

3 hours ago, Jimmain said:

I hate watching a WC or some other international tournie and have the inevitable waffle about how many players are playing for which teams in the EPL. "A goal made in the Premiership..." etc. Never used to bother me but it's just got so tiresome now. Especially as we don't really get our own commentary, so it IS supposed to be for all of the UK...yet other clubs in other Leagues are never mentioned. Maybe Celtic and Rangers at a push, if the likes of any of their players are playing in Qatar. But I really care not one fucking jot who they play for...

Kind of brings home that a WC was a magical event when I was a kid, with different nations with exotic names playing different types of football. Now they're just well televised orgies starring your well known faces from the Big Star Leagues. 

f**k them all etc...

I remember there was an Iceland game on at (I think) the World Cup and a lot of the commentary seemed to revolve around "this Icelandic player plays for Fulham" and "this one spent time at Crystal Palace" etc.  The Iceland goalscorer that day had been at Hutchison Vale and that was never mentioned.

17 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I remember there was an Iceland game on at (I think) the World Cup and a lot of the commentary seemed to revolve around "this Icelandic player plays for Fulham" and "this one spent time at Crystal Palace" etc.  The Iceland goalscorer that day had been at Hutchison Vale and that was never mentioned.

Hutchison Vale? f**k me, he could have played in the Scottish Premiership and they'd probably have failed to mention it.

As a long-time inhabitant of darn sarf, it cannot be emphasised enough how off-the-radar Scottish fitba is. Even to media people. Over the years I've known a few people who have worked on football in the Nottingham/Derby area, and a couple of people who have written for magazines etc. The complete ignorance of anything happening in Scottish fitba was striking at first, but you eventually get used to it.

A lot of my English mates are really into fitba. From Premier League to the local non-league scene, a real range of enthusiasm. But most of them would be guessing if I asked them who won the Scottish Premiership last year. And that's just how it is. Scottish football does not exist.

I remember in the build-up to the 2012 cup final I went out for a pint with a Hibs supporter I knew at the time. Barely any of our mates even knew that Hearts and Hibs were playing each other in the cup final. It hadn't registered one notch. This was quite handy for the Hibby, as nobody knew or cared that they'd had their arses handed to them.

Don't hold your breath for a whole range of references to Scottish fitba in Qatar this winter.

9 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

A lot of my English mates are really into fitba. From Premier League to the local non-league scene, a real range of enthusiasm. But most of them would be guessing if I asked them who won the Scottish Premiership last year.

This is also me to be fair. Last coupla years aside, due to the end of the banter years, but, before Rangers died I would have trouble remembering which arse cheek won the previous season. Just blended into one. Same with League Cup/Scottish Cup unless it was someone outside Glasgow who won

39 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Hutchison Vale? f**k me, he could have played in the Scottish Premiership and they'd probably have failed to mention it.

As a long-time inhabitant of darn sarf, it cannot be emphasised enough how off-the-radar Scottish fitba is. Even to media people. Over the years I've known a few people who have worked on football in the Nottingham/Derby area, and a couple of people who have written for magazines etc. The complete ignorance of anything happening in Scottish fitba was striking at first, but you eventually get used to it.

A lot of my English mates are really into fitba. From Premier League to the local non-league scene, a real range of enthusiasm. But most of them would be guessing if I asked them who won the Scottish Premiership last year. And that's just how it is. Scottish football does not exist.

I remember in the build-up to the 2012 cup final I went out for a pint with a Hibs supporter I knew at the time. Barely any of our mates even knew that Hearts and Hibs were playing each other in the cup final. It hadn't registered one notch. This was quite handy for the Hibby, as nobody knew or cared that they'd had their arses handed to them.

Don't hold your breath for a whole range of references to Scottish fitba in Qatar this winter.

That ties in with a story I've told on here before.  Me and the Mrs went to London for my birthday in September 2016 and it was the day of the first old firm of the Invincible season (the 5-1? 5-0? games where Dembele scored a hat trick).

Anyway, it was the same day as the Manchester Derby and we were in a packed sports bar in the city centre and there was about 15 large screen tvs all showing the build up to that game whilst the old firm was in play.  There was a tiny TV next to the bar showing it with not one person watching it.  No one gave a fuck.  The large groups of lads that were in were all sat in booths or standing in front of the big screens watching the build up to United v City.

The notion that anyone outside Scotland or Belfast care about Scottish football is laughable.

I've no problem with English being ignorant of Scottish football I don't know who their champions are either. When you're broadcasting to a country covered by for different football associations then your commentary should reflect that.

I find Germans to have excellent football knowledge, as do random Balkan folk who are big into betting. I met one twenty year old German tourist last month who said "Ah, Partick Thistle, yes you lost to Inverness in the playoff didn't you?". He was a Bayern Munich fan as well, so it wasn't exactly in diddy solidarity either.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

This is also me to be fair. Last coupla years aside, due to the end of the banter years, but, before Rangers died I would have trouble remembering which arse cheek won the previous season. Just blended into one. Same with League Cup/Scottish Cup unless it was someone outside Glasgow who won

I've found cups hard to keep up with in both Scotland and England as they've both just skewed towards the Scottish Old Firm or the English Old Firm winning them all the time.

Hard to be bothered.

I've found cups hard to keep up with in both Scotland and England as they've both just skewed towards the Scottish Old Firm or the English Old Firm winning them all the time.
Hard to be bothered.
Didn't realise St Johnstone took Rangers' place in the Old Firm when they died.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
10 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:
Hard to be bothered.

Didn't realise St Johnstone took Rangers' place in the Old Firm when they died.

We had a wee holiday from it in Scotland, but the Old Firm have won five of the past six Scottish Cups and five of the last six League Cups.

Even St Johnstone winning happened in the bizarre behind closed doors era.

The glory years of non-OF wins only really lasted from 2012-16.