What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

Choreographed goal celebrations, genuinely one of the worst things in football.

Yes.  Anything that isn’t a version of f**k yass is instantly suspicious. Ok if it’s late consolation or adding another goal on in game already won then things can be a bit more muted but should still be largely a celebration.

Dances, signature celebrations etc get fucked 

Footballs increasing obsession with death.  It might sound heartless but I can't be bothered joining in for a minutes applause in the 41st minute for Raymond who got eaten by a crocodile whom I'd never met and didn't go to many games anyway.  The Remembrance Day activities seem to have ramped up and up over the last few years as well.  Club chairmen laying wreaths on the pitch pre-match etc - is that really necessary? 

23 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Footballs increasing obsession with death.  It might sound heartless but I can't be bothered joining in for a minutes applause in the 41st minute for Raymond who got eaten by a crocodile whom I'd never met and didn't go to many games anyway.  The Remembrance Day activities seem to have ramped up and up over the last few years as well.  Club chairmen laying wreaths on the pitch pre-match etc - is that really necessary? 

I've never met a crocodile either.

Add to this. The game being stopped as a mark of respect while first aiders tend to a medical emergency in the crowd.

Medical emergencies have happened fairly regularly at football matches for decades. When you have tens of thousands of people attending the same event, it’s not statistically unlikely that one of them will require medical attention in a given 3 hour period. Throughout history, the game has always continued throughout this unless the emergency is an incredibly serious one (I think there was a Kilmarnock v Hibs game abandoned about a ten years ago when a fan died in the crowd)

Stopping the game has become a trend since the Eriksen thing, and I’d be absolutely fine with it if it was needed to give the person the best possible chance at getting medical attention quickly, but that doesn’t seem to be the case and the stadium first aiders are trained to administer first aid just as much as the club medical staff.

The main issue with it for me is that it’s giving the impression of a sudden increase in medical emergencies at football matches (not true, they’ve always happened, just in the past they didn’t stop the game for it) which is fuelling anti-vaxxer arguments 

Nah it isn't heartless. It's ghoulish to constantly have minutes applause or silences for fans who have died. It's the fucking football. I go there partially to get a retreat from normal life, not to have the miserable parts reflected back in concentrated form (I know, ironic for a jags fan etc). Ditto any disease awareness pish. Anyone unaware that teenagers can die of cancer or that prostate cancer is a thing must be living under a rock. Bill Burr likens it to leaning over to your pal while watching the movie and starting to chat about your testicular cancer. 

Ok, so that part may have sounded heartless, but it's bad enough the joy being sucked out of football through VAR without having extra misery added to the pot.

55 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Add to this. The game being stopped as a mark of respect while first aiders tend to a medical emergency in the crowd.

Medical emergencies have happened fairly regularly at football matches for decades. When you have tens of thousands of people attending the same event, it’s not statistically unlikely that one of them will require medical attention in a given 3 hour period. Throughout history, the game has always continued throughout this unless the emergency is an incredibly serious one (I think there was a Kilmarnock v Hibs game abandoned about a ten years ago when a fan died in the crowd)

Stopping the game has become a trend since the Eriksen thing, and I’d be absolutely fine with it if it was needed to give the person the best possible chance at getting medical attention quickly, but that doesn’t seem to be the case and the stadium first aiders are trained to administer first aid just as much as the club medical staff.

The main issue with it for me is that it’s giving the impression of a sudden increase in medical emergencies at football matches (not true, they’ve always happened, just in the past they didn’t stop the game for it) which is fuelling anti-vaxxer arguments 

I've wondered in the past if stopping the game during the middle of a medical emergency is actually worse as it puts more pressure on the medical personnel.  

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I’ve watched Soccer Saturday (or Sunday being the case today) on Sky Sports, but surely they could come up with a better pundit line up than Paul Merson, Clinton Morrison, Micheal Dawson and Tim Sherwood. Sue Smith is streets ahead of them, particularly Merson and Morrison, who offer no real insight whatsoever and can barely string a sentence together between them. Who selects these guys and on what sort of ability!? Almost makes me miss Matt Le Tissier (nah not that much). Not exactly something to ‘hate about football’ but it’s easy to switch over.

14 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Been a while since I’ve watched Soccer Saturday (or Sunday being the case today) on Sky Sports, but surely they could come up with a better pundit line up than Paul Merson, Clinton Morrison, Micheal Dawson and Tim Sherwood. Sue Smith is streets ahead of them, particularly Merson and Morrison, who offer no real insight whatsoever and can barely string a sentence together between them. Who selects these guys and on what sort of ability!? Almost makes me miss Matt Le Tissier (nah not that much). Not exactly something to ‘hate about football’ but it’s easy to switch over.

It's aimed at people watching with a coupon on and maybe having a pint.

For the ladz market. The selection process is basically 'do they appeal to people who like bantz?'

On 18/04/2022 at 13:02, Donathan said:

I believe this is to allow the club medical team to help and give the patient the best chance of survival. If the club physio is helping a fan and the star player takes a sore one then there would be issues. It's a bit of humility in that a human life > a game of football

8 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I believe this is to allow the club medical team to help and give the patient the best chance of survival. If the club physio is helping a fan and the star player takes a sore one then there would be issues. It's a bit of humility in that a human life > a game of football

Many club physios wouldn't be much more help than a first aider with a fan suffering a heart attack. 

Edited by sparky88

5 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Many club physios wouldn't be much more help than a first aider with a fan suffering a heart attack. 

Indeed, I have seen the latest protocol from the EFL suggest that the stadium first aiders are responsible for attending to fan medical emergencies and not club medical staff 

On 16/05/2022 at 10:37, Cptn Hooch said:

By stopping the game, it gives easier access to the fan for the first aiders. It wouldn't exactly be easy for them to help with fans getting excited or even celebrating a goal around them.

Post-match pitch invasions should only happen if you've:

- Won the league
- Gained promotion
- Shocked a big team in a cup competition
- Survived relegation in a somewhat dramatic fashion

Securing European football might be acceptable but only if it's a genuine rarity.

We need to end pitch invasions for reaching play-off finals (load of shite) or, even worse, just reaching the play-offs.

Pitch invasions for things that do not deserve pitch invasions. I always felt they were a once in a few years event for a club with a promotion or league title win, or maybe miraculously avoiding relegation on the last day. I have absolutely nothing against a joyous pitch invasion for those once in a few years moments. But in recent years they are becoming a regular occurrence for things which don't deserve it. Off the top of my head in the last few weeks; Airdrie fans were on the pitch beating Montrose (great comeback, but still it's a play-off semi-final against a team we finished miles ahead of), Dundee Utd at Ross County (?!), Ayr against Partick Thistle, Notts Forest last night, I'm sure there's numerous others, it's just constant and incredibly small-time behaviour.

At the risk of sounding like a total bore, events like last night were inevitable eventually which will see stronger enforcements/punishments for clubs, maybe even netting or similar if it continues, meaning the genuinely worthy pitch invasion events can't happen. I've noticed it for a while now but last night was probably the tipping point!

Edited by Diamonds are Forever