What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

15 hours ago, Marten said:

Just calling that league "The Barclays" or even BPL is cringeworthy in the first place imo. Just call it the Premier League, PL or EPL.

Calling it the Barclays goes back to when they were the last title sponsor of the league. It was obviously written into the deal that the competition had to be referred to as the Barclays Premier League when being mentioned in the media and it led to a laughable over use of the term, particularly by a then relevant Owen Coyle, who would shoehorn it in as often as possible no matter how ridiculous it sounded. Referring to The Barclays is really taking the piss out of that. 

On 22/02/2022 at 07:28, Marten said:
On 22/02/2022 at 00:25, velo army said:
That league has become so corporate and sanitised that calling it "The Barclays" unironically is pretty apt.

Fair point! I just never use sponsor names for leagues, cups or grounds.

The B&Q cup is the exception.

The purpose of the rule is to make sure that the goalkeeper can't just stand with the ball in his hands until the end of the game if his team is winning. It ensures that the ball has to be returned to play in a somewhat timely manner. The choice of six seconds is completely arbitrary, and any attempt to enforce that strictly wouldn't be in the spirit of the game. As you pointed out, if a goalkeeper comes and claims a cross, it can often be more than six seconds before they can get back up and have all the opposing players out of their way etc.

A lot of them absolutely milk it tbh. I watched Everton a few weeks back and on at least two occasions Pickford held the ball for 30 seconds before kicking it.

I'd like to see the game 45 minutes a half and exactly that. Any time the ball goes out the clock is stopped. It would be simple enough to do in the top divisions with a 4th official but would probably be a bit trickier the lower you went I suppose. It would certainly eliminate time-wasting.

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

A lot of them absolutely milk it tbh. I watched Everton a few weeks back and on at least two occasions Pickford held the ball for 30 seconds before kicking it.

I'd like to see the game 45 minutes a half and exactly that. Any time the ball goes out the clock is stopped. It would be simple enough to do in the top divisions with a 4th official but would probably be a bit trickier the lower you went I suppose. It would certainly eliminate time-wasting.

Are you kidding? The next game would  be due to kick off 5 minutes after the last one finished.

I'm getting increasingly annoyed by players now positioning the ball as far outside of the curve as is legally possible at corners. As if the ball being that bit closer to the penalty box is going to make any difference. Love it when it sails over everyone and out the other side of the box after it's very careful placement on the very edge! Other than showing how they'll play the laws to the extreme I don't see the point. 

Players “shepherding” the ball out of play. 
Below is the law on obstruction. 

Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent.

A player may shield the ball by taking a position between an opponent and the ball if the ball is within playing distance and the opponent is not held off with the arms or body. If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.

From the final paragraph, it’s clear that an opponent cannot be held off using the arms or body. This frequently happens by players shepherding the ball out of play. Whenever an opponent makes an attempt to play a ball being shepherded out of play, which the law states they can, the referee invariably gives a foul.

Is this ignorance of the law by referees or just laziness?

2 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Players “shepherding” the ball out of play. 
Below is the law on obstruction. 

From the final paragraph, it’s clear that an opponent cannot be held off using the arms or body. This frequently happens by players shepherding the ball out of play. Whenever an opponent makes an attempt to play a ball being shepherded out of play, which the law states they can, the referee invariably gives a foul.

Is this ignorance of the law by referees or just laziness?

Totally agree. It's a farce now. Mind you I'm against defenders being able to shield it in the first place!

The total deletion of records whenever a competition gets rebranded.
See the EPL, Champions League and Scottish Premiership/formerly SPL as examples.
Load of shit that is nothing but marketing to make something sound new and exciting.
I blame Sky.

Back in the ‘80s people used to talk about a clubs top goalscorer/biggest defeat/longest winning streak/lowest attendance “Since the war”

These days they tend to use the invention of the English premiership and champions league in 1992 to provide an arbitrary “start of the modern era”

Of course if you’re from the former Yugoslavia then you could still say “Since the war”

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Folk moaning about ticket prices (fair) and then adding on bullshit like few pints, programme, food and travel. Why not add on the cost of your clothes, haircut and car insurance whilst you are at it.

Presumably because they aren't an add on or requirement for an individual game of football, but rather life in general.

On 25/02/2022 at 11:40, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Back in the ‘80s people used to talk about a clubs top goalscorer/biggest defeat/longest winning streak/lowest attendance “Since the war”

These days they tend to use the invention of the English premiership and champions league in 1992 to provide an arbitrary “start of the modern era”

Of course if you’re from the former Yugoslavia then you could still say “Since the war”

Why can't they just say 'ever' ? 

48 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Presumably because they aren't an add on or requirement for an individual game of football, but rather life in general.

The only thing in the list above which is necessary is travel. Pints and programme are optional and presumably you have to eat whether you go to a game or not.

It also detracts from the argument. If you are saying top flight football should be 20 quid and you are being asked for 28 quid there's a big difference there.

If you say my 80 quid day has become and 88 quid day it doesn't.

Players playing as a “False 9” whatever the f**k that is. Every World Cup or Euros seems to bring some new tactic that is just shite when tried out in the bottom half of the SPFL. 

The need for clubs to have a “match day experience”. It’s a football game not the circus or some other form of entertainment. 

Defensive/holding midfielders and attacking midfielders. Bring back the days when the midfield was just the midfield. 

Fans having a stroke when the opposition defender takes a free kick 5 yards in front of where the original foul was committed. The guy can kick the ball almost the length of the pitch. 

The need for clubs to have a “match day experience”. It’s a football game not the circus or some other form of entertainment. 

Match day experience covers such things such as not running out of pies, having a roof over your head or having toilets which are more than a brick wall slowly crumbling due to years of being pissed on.

Sounds reasonable in principle but the amount of fannying about on and off the park (particularly in the EPL), games would end up taking 180 minutes to complete!
Feigned injuries, petty fouls, VAR checks, extended goal celebrations, delays in taking goal kicks and set pieces, players and coaches/managers contesting decisions, pointless late substitutions following a lengthy exchange of on/off players etc.....this is all BEFORE any deliberate time wasting or legitimate stoppages are taken into account. 3 O’clock Saturday games would last until after 6.00pm![emoji15]