What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

8 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Once again, this feckin' new handball law. And not just because Killie fell foul of it yesterday, I've been hating it for a while now.

Needs to be reduced to an indirect free kick for anything other than a deliberate attempt to catch or punch the ball.

After decades of gibbering idiots moaning "The ball definitely made contact with the hand, how's that not a handball?" the authorities finally gave them what they wanted.

Other Fifa law changes may have led to a rise in diving/simulation/cleverly going to ground (delete according to whether it's your team) but at least they reduced the number of thugs/hard men/enforcers (again delete as appropriate)  in the game so at least there was a reason.

The handball change doesn't seem to have addressed an actual problem but just like the changes around the tackle it incentivises attackers to "manufacture" the incident 

Guest TheJTS98
5 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

After decades of gibbering idiots moaning "The ball definitely made contact with the hand, how's that not a handball?" the authorities finally gave them what they wanted.

Other Fifa law changes may have led to a rise in diving/simulation/cleverly going to ground (delete according to whether it's your team) but at least they reduced the number of thugs/hard men/enforcers (again delete as appropriate)  in the game so at least there was a reason.

The handball change doesn't seem to have addressed an actual problem but just like the changes around the tackle it incentivises attackers to "manufacture" the incident 

That's the wider point about the whole thing. The shitey handball rule and VAR both come from fitba people being cry-babies for decades and blaming their short-comings on referees.

A quick Google brings up loads of examples of 'Coach x calling for video technology'. Arsene Wenger interestingly claimed that it definitely would not slow the game down. Aye.

Add together cry-baby players, fans, and coaches, TV's ever-growing willingness to make itself the star of the show, and the utterly fatuous but bafflingly popular 'There's so much money on the line now' argument from simpletons and you have the perfect storm. The hand-ball fuss is obviously exacerbated by VAR.

Once you let TV in, it doesn't go out. This will continue to march in one direction.

8 hours ago, The Golden God said:

People who say football and politics don't mix, or that football is just about football and nothing else. I think that for better or worse it's always been about much more than just what happens on the pitch.

Its incredibly political and people who say intl football isn't about politics are just denying reality.  The teams are literally organised on a political basis.

People who say football and politics don't mix, or that football is just about football and nothing else. I think that for better or worse it's always been about much more than just what happens on the pitch.
I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I love things like the magnitude of Boban kicking the policeman but at the same time I don't want to see or hear political messages when I go to watch football. It's the two hours a week when I get away from all that shite and focus on the simple pleasure of watching folk kick a ball around a field.

On 03/12/2020 at 19:42, highlandcowden said:

its bizarre isn't it, I don't know anyone that gives the remotest fucks about the CL.back in the day when the highlights were on ITV id record them but now theres not even that and I cant say I feel as if im missing out on anything

Champions League before Sky got involved was brilliant, wasn't too bad when they stuck their toe in the water, BT's exclusivity is disgusting

Rio Ferdinand and Paul Scholes being employed as pundits.  They're idiots.  I now mute the halftime analysis of United on BT Sport as it's unbearable.  Shoehorning as many of OGS's ex-teammates into the studio as possible so they can all steer the blame away from their mate and onto Pogba, who sometimes isn't even playing.

On the whole, ex-footballers are simpletons who's opinions should be treated with caution at best.  

Managers and fans who scream bloody murder when the elapsed time goes beyond the minimum amount to be played.  The clue is in the word minimum really.  The game doesn't stop on 92 minutes dead when the there's been a minimum of 2 minutes to be played.  It's nearly 2021 and people still can't grasp this.

I am so glad there is a few folk not into the xG shite. 

I actually love a stat. Goals, Shots, even the recently discussed assists or corners per game.

Things that are cold hard facts. They happened. 

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I am so glad there is a few folk not into the xG shite. 

I actually love a stat. Goals, Shots, even the recently discussed assists or corners per game.

Things that are cold hard facts. They happened. 

xG is a far more useful stat than assists or corners, which tell you almost nothing about a player or a team.

3 hours ago, G51 said:

xG is a far more useful stat than assists or corners, which tell you almost nothing about a player or a team.

They tell me how many corners a team had/assists a player had after a game.
Actual things.

Not guessing that someone will score half a goal because the played well previously

Guest TheJTS98

Stats over-reach in fitba #2359

Guardian Football Weekly telling us the crucial nugget of information that Pablo Hernandez this week became 'The oldest player to assist twice in a Premier League game for Leeds United since Gordon Strachan'.

1) Leeds took about 70 years away from the Premier League in that time.

2) One of these 'assists' was a simple pass to a team-mate miles from goal. To be fair, FW (highlighting the daftness of 'assists') pointed out that Steve Lomas can claim an assist for Kinkladze's famous Man City goal against Southampton.

3) What the f**k does this matter anyway?

4) Pass me  the revolver.

Edited by TheJTS98

I’m quite partial to an underwhelming stat. There was one a few weeks back after Villa pumped Arsenal with the commentator stating that it was Villa’s first victory at the Emirates since 2013. Considering they were out of the Barclays for 3 seasons and had only played there 3 times since their previous victory, it probably didn’t quite hit the ‘wow’ mark they were looking for.