What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

I don't "hate" this I just think it's another piece of "look at me" shite that's normal in football now, but people blessing themselves as they walk on the pitch. Get tae f**k.

At least we’re largely spared the American trope of thanking god for a good result

Tommy Burns used to do it occasionally though

• 1 month later...
The boring tactical chat on Match of the Day. 

Especially on the back of a commentary by the insufferable Jonathan Pearce or the unlistenable Vicky Sparks. More often than not these days, I just wait for the goals round up, after fast forwarding through the Sunday night edition.

The expert punditry is rarely insightful, a couple of weeks back in his post match analysis of a Newcastle game, Shearer offered something along the lines of, ‘that’s what happens when errr you do that, when you err do that, that’s what err happens in a game when you do that’

Brilliant Alan, Cheers for that. [emoji106]

Even the missus chipped in, momentarily looking up from thumbing through a magazine, what the f**k is he on about’?[emoji15]

Statistics, and the desire to turn top level football GAMBLE into some round-ball version of the NFL, when there's next to nothing in football worth counting that means GAMBLE anything outside of goals themselves. Completed GAMBLE 195 passes in midfield? Big whoop. 

The complete lack of relatability between GAMBLE what TV executives think football fans like or how GAMBLE they behave, and what I (and most others I know) actually do when watching a game on TV or in a ground.

Punditry, and GAMBLE specifically an hour's build-up to games. Who the f**k is tuning in ahead of time to listen to Kris Boyd talk about football? 

Robbie Savage's media GAMBLE career.

The fact top level GAMBLE football - specifically the Premier League - is so po-faced and deadly serious about itself and completely unable to have any kind of a laugh any more. It's a fucking game. 

To be honest, everything about it except the bubble I have created for it in my life. Go to the game, maybe drink, maybe don't, watch some of it, spend long spells discussing stuff completely unrelated to the game, maybe see Lossie fluke a win/draw/goal/corner, train sesh home. 

ARE YOU GAMBLING YET? 

Goalkeepers throwing themselves to the ground and clutching the ball to their chest and staying prone on the ground from what should be an easy catch and kick out or throw out. Basically timewasting. Never noticed this as being so predominant until last season, more so this season.

Goalkeepers throwing themselves to the ground and clutching the ball to their chest and staying prone on the ground from what should be an easy catch and kick out or throw out. Basically timewasting. Never noticed this as being so predominant until last season, more so this season.

I'm surprised you've only just noticed that. It's been happening for years. Similar to foul throws, I blame the officials. We usually get beat at Palmerston nowadays and when we're behind, goalkeepers naturally hold the ball longer. I think I counted to about 15 seconds at one stage last season. I assume the 6 second rule is dead or they just don't bother to enforce it.

Time-wasting in general annoys me tbh. I'd love stop clocks to become part of the game and be used any time the ball goes out of play. This would cut it out and make the game actually 90 minutes long.

22 hours ago, bairney said:

This has being going on forever. 

Timewasting is something every player does at every club.  The slow walk off when being subbed.  The lying on the floor for 30s when given a free kick. Letting the ball go past you when you are the one taking the shy etc. Going over to your teammate to have a long tactical discussion. Booting the ball into row z when conceding a throw...

As always we are massive hypocrites and are delighted to see our own teams see out a result but become seething when opponents do it to us.

Players who go to ground far too easily are becoming so much more commonplace in the modern game, even if the odds are stacked in their favour, to stay on their feet and win the ball.

Watching Jack Grealish for Villa the other night (a persistent culprit), his first instinct seemed to be; when he could ‘best judge’ to hit the deck. The lad’s a decent player, he doesn’t need to do this. Surely his Manager/Coaching Staff must realise he’s far more dangerous on his toes at pace, than continually rolling around the park, or do they think it’s mainly advantageous to win free kicks and position?

The number of innocuous ‘fouls’ that continually stop and start the flow of a match has become tiresome and is spoiling the game. Our game isn’t as bad as the English Premiership but it’s getting there.

There used to be a rule in Rugby League (not sure if it’s still the case) called ‘the Voluntary tackle’ where a player could be penalised for stopping the game without being tackled. There would be no point in trying to get rid of the number of free kicks by introducing another free kick ruling (awarded to the opposition), but an immediate ‘sin-bin’ type punishment for perennial offenders, perhaps after an official warning, might stop this blatant diving in a sport that is fast becoming a non-contact spectacle. Let’s see how the likes of Grealish are valued keeping the bench warm for regular 10 minute intervals? Just a thought.

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm surprised you've only just noticed that. It's been happening for years. Similar to foul throws, I blame the officials. We usually get beat at Palmerston nowadays and when we're behind, goalkeepers naturally hold the ball longer. I think I counted to about 15 seconds at one stage last season. I assume the 6 second rule is dead or they just don't bother to enforce it.

Time-wasting in general annoys me tbh. I'd love stop clocks to become part of the game and be used any time the ball goes out of play. This would cut it out and make the game actually 90 minutes long.

Those are annoying. Also stealing yards at throw ins and fouls.

I love watching people in the crowd go mental because somebody has stolen four yards at a throw in, especially when taken within his own half. I'm all for it.

Stealing anything up to about 20m (within your own half) is fair game as far as I'm concerned, preferably using a one handed javelin style throw, just to generate that maximum seethe.

It's a completely pointless thing to get upset about, and it really irritates a lot of the crowd. Often the highlight of a match for me.

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I love watching people in the crowd go mental because somebody has stolen four yards at a throw in, especially when taken within his own half. I'm all for it.

Stealing anything up to about 20m (within your own half) is fair game as far as I'm concerned, preferably using a one handed javelin style throw, just to generate that maximum seethe.

It's a completely pointless thing to get upset about, and it really irritates a lot of the crowd. Often the highlight of a match for me.

Likewise, time wasting (when done properly) is a thing of beauty. A goalkeeper kicking his heels on the post at a goal kick, or a completely half hearted jog off the park is outstanding behaviour.

All forms of complete shitehousery should be encouraged imo.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Likewise, time wasting (when done properly) is a thing of beauty. A goalkeeper kicking his heels on the post at a goal kick, or a completely half hearted jog off the park is outstanding behaviour.

All forms of complete shitehousery should be encouraged imo.

A player being substituted doing the wee kid on run that is slower than walking is a good one, usually turning back to shake hands or pass on the armband.