What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

4 hours ago, Empty It said:
18 hours ago, Highland Capital said:
Footballer nicknames.  There a player called Jones.  What's his nickname?  Jonesy.  There's a player called Smith.  What's his nickname?  Smithy.  There's a player called John.  What's his nickname?  Johnny.  
I think you can see a pattern emerging here...

Remember Ian Durrant getting referred to as "Durranty" but I can't remember who said it. It doesn't even work.

Spare a thought for poor Waltersy from that era.

Guest JTS98
On 31/07/2020 at 03:18, Bishop Briggs said:

Vicky Sparks' awful and grating commentary on Match of the Day.

It's so excruciating, I have to turn the sound down.

I think I am actually growing into misogyny when it comes to football.

Vicki Sparks is unlistenable.

Mina Razouki ruins the otherwise-glorious World Football Phone-in any time they drop the ball long enough to let her on it.

Faye Carruthers has the ability to induce cringe throughout anything she presents or contributes to.

Natalie Gedra contributes nothing but cliches and views of the game that could be gleaned from a five-minute Youtube round-up every Monday morning.

Lynsey Hooper makes me want to harm kittens.

We've not even got near Sandra Brown, Jane Lewis, etc. Also, the Totally Scottish Football Show had some woman on it a few times who was so grim I basically gave up listening to it. Can't remember her name.

Although, Kelly Cates is generally excellent and a pleasure to listen to. Hayley McQueen is ok. But more and more I find the new female voices in football to be pure pish and I do question why they're there. I don't see that it's for talent. Compare a WFPI edition with Mark Gleeson or John Duerden as the guest to one with fucking Mina Razouki...

Her most common answer to a question is a long pause because she has nothing to say as she knows effectively hee haw about football. Tim Vickery gallantly bails her out by answering for her then soft-balls her a follow-up question to help her save face and save the show. He's a true pro. I hate Mina. I hate her. I hate her.

Edited by JTS98

On 30/07/2020 at 20:18, Bishop Briggs said:

Vicky Sparks' awful and grating commentary on Match of the Day.

It's so excruciating, I have to turn the sound down.

13 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I think I am actually growing into misogyny when it comes to football.

Vicki Sparks is unlistenable.

To be honest, I think high pitched voices on commentary are unbearable whether they’re male or female.

There’s the aforementioned one on MotD, but there’s also one or two of the guys on Sportscene who I find absolutely unbearable as they end up screeching whenever something half exciting happens.

On 31/07/2020 at 07:56, Empty It said:
On 30/07/2020 at 17:48, Highland Capital said:
Footballer nicknames.  There a player called Jones.  What's his nickname?  Jonesy.  There's a player called Smith.  What's his nickname?  Smithy.  There's a player called John.  What's his nickname?  Johnny.  

Remember Ian Durrant getting referred to as "Durranty" but I can't remember who said it. It doesn't even work.

Perhaps it was a reference to 

th?id=OIP.Usg51jdHveBAbHFxSs91pAHaHa%26p

I have long held had an pedantic irritation that Justin Edinburgh's nickname was apparently "Musselburgh". It was widely reported when he passed that his nickname was Musselburgh. I've done a quick google and I see even The Herald diary called this a "rather clever nickname".

No, if his name was "Justoutside Edinburgh" then Musselburgh would make perfect sense as a nickname.

However, I've been thrown into a spin this morning as I've just found out that Gary Lineker no less tweeted that his nickname was Dalmahoy.

That works for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably already posted but players sinking to their knees on the pitch and looking totally bereft after a bog standard mid-season defeat. Utter bollocks that's entirely for the benefit of the cameras. On a similar note, in pre-COVID times, Sky showing crying supporters at a game in November with one mid-table side losing to another mid-table side. Just f**k off with that pish. 

Folk turning into seething messes when their team's players have the audacity to do normal human things after a defeat or poor performance. Utterly disgusting these players aren't sitting in the dark in silence having a good hard think about why they lost after the match.

Might be elsewhere on the thread but biased football commentary does my head in.

I can accept a little bit when you have people commentating on say their own national team but the like likes of the recent Champions League games, particularly Lyon v Man City, were really bad - almost like Fan TV and McManaman’s “They wouldn’t be doing X like that in our game” shit is verging on xenophobia. 

The least they should be is capable of commentating fairly on a game, call a foul and foul and giving appropriate credit to both teams. When they get away from that it’s just awful to listen to. Do they really think fans of other teams in the UK were really wanting Man City to win?

I hate the way players stand over a free kick and cover their mouth as they talk to each, as if the goalie is lip reading where they are going to put it! 

I hate the whole covering their mouth as they speak thing in general to be honest! 

That's my yer da moment done! 

Edited by Albertlegend

15 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

The way everybody involved in Scottish football weegies struggle to pronounce the word "situation". A word which they love to use in every conceivable situation.

Fan-with-a-mic football coverage down south. Sky and BT both seem to have shat it off Arsenal TV.

I don't believe the majority of Arsenal fans want Alan Smith, United fans ditto Patrice Evra/Rio Ferdinand, Liverpool fans Souness/Carragher/McManaman etc etc. And if they do then add those one-eyed mouthbreathers to the list too.

On 18/08/2020 at 15:13, Highland Capital said:

When a club wins something and some of the players run around with their nation's flag.  What's that all about?

That's silly, but not in the same league of fuddery as players' insistence on having their kids on the pitch with them.

It's not the biggest deal in the world, but I think the kids' presence takes away from the occasion. Players spend more time getting their kids to kick a ball around or wave at the crowd than they do celebrating with their teammates. Takes away from it.

8 hours ago, raith_94 said:

Fan-with-a-mic football coverage down south. Sky and BT both seem to have shat it off Arsenal TV.

I don't believe the majority of Arsenal fans want Alan Smith, United fans ditto Patrice Evra/Rio Ferdinand, Liverpool fans Souness/Carragher/McManaman etc etc. And if they do then add those one-eyed mouthbreathers to the list too.

I like the concept of Fan TV and I think there are some good ones out there.

But AFTV is a circus.