Sevco and their fans suffer humiliating dossier defeat

2 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

1. The bullying thing is an irrelevance. One man's bullying is another man's lobbying.

2. The claim that monies couldn't be advanced looks completely unconvincing. If clubs were really desperate, they could have voted to take money early but on a full and final basis - so that if the league ever got finished and positions changed, then tough. Or they could have voted to take 80% of the remaining £9m on condition that there was to be a final reconciliation. Some teams might have to pay back something - others would be due something. If a team defaulted on paying back then the SPFL could take it out of the £1.8m retained and/or deducted it from any future prize monies that team were due. But bearing in mind the serious payouts are for positions 1 and 2 - and they weren't changing - the risks were not big. I would still be unhappy, but a lot less suspicious  if they just admitted that there were other possibilities. So the question remains, who's idea was it to weld money release to a yes vote and why? And what exactly was so wrong and unfixable about Rangers' alternative proposal that it couldn't have got onto the board agenda?

3. Not clear what is being said about this £10m liability? That bit is as clear as mud (apart from pleading FFS stop showing our hand to the TV companies. Which is a fair point). 

I've been as frustrated as you about the lack of information on payouts, however since the SPFL started going public it's made more sense to me. That said, your suggestion about the payouts is probably the most sensible I've seen - you've asked some good questions.

I think the main issue is that clubs are looking for certainty so that they can financially plan. You're proposal leaves a lot of clubs uncertain if they're going to need to hand some of the money back. They could finish the season in debt to the SPFL, or not. That's maybe not the financial certainty they clubs need when literally every penny is being counted.

There may also be a legal issue - if money is handed over with a condition attached that it is paid back in certain circumstances, does it therefore it become a loan? If so, then my understanding is the credit risk issue kicks in. If it's given over on the condition that any overpayments will be taken off next seasons prize money would clubs be content to have to wait on their full instalment? 

I'd be interested to see if any of these options were discussed in the 15 page (or 105 page) document sent by the SPFL before the vote. Surprised that's never been leaked given that just about everything else has. 

4 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Yip, every single fucking decision is to appease those two, from season start dates, to fixtures, splits and everything else in between - it's those two first and then the rest, indeed I hardly think the rest are considered half the time.

What I will say though, and feel free to correct me if my old age is blurring reality, it used to be just Celtic moaning like f'ck, Rangers for the most part were 'happy', but f'ck me this latest incarnation are making up for it now - 'Rangers' have overtaken Celtic at being Celtic.

They'll be supporting a different national side next.

That was back when the old club was racking up the trophies and Celtic couldn't find their arse with both hands. Celtgers react the same way to everything - if they're winning trophies, everything is fine and everyone else can GTF. If they aren't, it's all a big conspiracy and radical change (in their favour only) is needed.

Also, I'm not sure if they've bothered hitching their star to anyone else, but some of The Rangers fans don't want Scotland's national side to succeed. Their reasoning is that the SFA and Scotland's other clubs didn't band together to bail out their old club in 2012, and conspired to "relegate" them to the bottom tier, so they now hope their country's national team loses. Even if you can follow their logic, that's impressive petulance for grown adults.

16 minutes ago, bennett said:

It's real?

Fcuking ell...

Are you by any chance an ophthalmologist? Had a nightmare eye problem last couple of weeks and my saviour was Dr. Bennet....... he made me uncomfortable as hell but fixed me up so I was glad in the end. 

I was wanting to ask him if his first name was Gordon, but as he was rummaging around my eyeball with all sorts of gadgets I thought better of annoying him.  Wonder why I never though your name might be Gordon also.  

Anyways back to the dossier from hell....... when are the sevco board sending Stewart Robertson on gardening leave?

1 minute ago, Spring Onion said:

Are you by any chance an ophthalmologist? Had a nightmare eye problem last couple of weeks and my saviour was Dr. Bennet....... he made me uncomfortable as hell but fixed me up so I was glad in the end. 

Something Bennett did hurting people's eyes? Nah, can't be the same one.

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Roger Mitchell was tweeting the other day (6th May) about a connection with Workington.

Distinct lack of ambition, there. Blyth are closer, have a better ground, and are two divisions higher on the pyramid.

#visitblyth

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

No apology given to Ross MacArthur yet for lies and hearsay thrown his way?

Who is Ross MacArthur and why would he be due an apology?

"I have to be honest and admit that I can't read" is what the last line said.

He only knows the different flavours of Monster Munch by the colour of the bags.

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Barry Ferguson's take in the Daily Record is brilliant reading. 

Link

This is my favourite bit: 

1043313976_Screenshot2020-05-08at23_32_10.png.52e0d34d62afaee5caa0b0c233c20ff6.png

I've clicked on the link to see it for myself and I still can't quite believe that it's real. 

A part of me kind of hopes there's some sort of knowing smirk as he wrote that out/dictated it Alan Partridge style to a ghostwriter, well aware that he's being paid money to produce sports """journalism""" and literally admitting in his own article that he doesn't bother to fucking read books.

I mean *maybe* if you're naturally bright enough you could somehow wing it but, off the top of my head, I'd have thought it would be fundamental to gaining command of a broad vocabulary, or to have insight into some sort of sports related material like Inverting the Pyramid or maybe Moneyball or even anything that's more abstract that could be applied to articles as appropriate.

Incredible.

edit: I like the bits where he's basically admitting he can't understand anything and he's getting paid for gems like

"These things are always masked in legalese and that has been the case with this Rangers report and exactly what I’ve seen from reading into it."

"The layman isn’t privy to much of the detail so it’s going to come down to an assessment from people who are qualified to get into the nuts and bolts of it all."

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely