Sevco and their fans suffer humiliating dossier defeat

2 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Ewan Murray is an absolute roaster with a clear bias on this issue, and The Guardian seems to care little for Scottish Football.

Not taking a dig at you posting it, but I'd be taking anything he is saying with a massive pinch of salt.

3 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

This isnt a story. Dealing with accounts 12 years back will go nowhere. Is this where Sevco are now? Lost in financial definitions of loans? 

The SPFL not wanting to loan Rangers money because they might go bust really is an unexpected but welcome turn of events. However I would criticise the Guardians reporting as its not clear if Gretna Football Club or the Holding company went bust

32 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Not sure why you're deriding that article,  a good bit of journalism from Ewen Murray and something we don't see enough of. (Scoop Jacksons PR pieces)

Doncasters definition of what a  loan is seems to change like the wind, I'm sure that other journalists will pursue this further. 

Edited by bennett
Auto type thingy

3 minutes ago, bennett said:

Not sure why you're deriding that article,  a good bit of journalism from Ewen Murray and something we don't see enough of. (Scoop Jacksons PR pieces)

Doncasters definition of what a  loan is seems to change like the wind, I'm sure that other journalists will pursue this further. 

Either way, though, the reasons for not offering loans to all clubs in the current climate remain completely sound, surely?

15 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Having the immediate future of the game - with potentially catastrophic implications for some clubs if the wrong decision is reached - being bogged down in a 12-year-old semantic debate is peak Scottish football.

Doncasters monorail interview on Saturdays sportsound makes it relevant, in any other country he'd be under severe pressure to resign from his £340k plus bonuses position. 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Anyone advocating that the SPFL should have issued widespread loans to clubs is a moron.

The Spfl claimed there was only one method to give clubs prize money, we later found out that there are another two methods. 

Not how I want those running the game to behave.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Anyone advocating that the SPFL should have issued widespread loans to clubs is a moron.

Although I don't think they should have made loans I do think they could have advanced prize money to clubs. Find out the lowest possible position each club could have finished and forwarded the prize money for that position. That woulda gave clubs more time to come to a decision and seen how this would play out.

I'm not sure what the details about prize money are tho'. Perhaps the SPFL doesn't get that income from the sponsors, etc. until season's end so isn't a possibility. Just seemed one option to get money to clubs that needed it without it being a loan.

12 minutes ago, bennett said:

Take it up with the Accountants that signed off the numbers 12 years ago. Not a hope in hell and to define something like that as if Doncaster was sitting in a room on his own with a spreadsheet making up his own loans and advances columns will go nowhere.

Amateur hour dramatics.

Ever read Bleak House and the case of Jarndyce v Jarndyce? That's where it is heading. Have fun when all the money runs out.

Edited by rainbowrising

6 minutes ago, bennett said:

The Spfl claimed there was only one method to give clubs prize money, we later found out that there are another two methods. 

Not how I want those running the game to behave.

I think they said there was only one feasible method.

I haven't heard anyone say that loans are impossible. Just that it isn't feasible, which it clearly isn't. As the below says, advance fee payments are a different matter.

6 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Although I don't think they should have made loans I do think they could have advanced prize money to clubs. Find out the lowest possible position each club could have finished and forwarded the prize money for that position. That woulda gave clubs more time to come to a decision and seen how this would play out.

I'm not sure what the details about prize money are tho'. Perhaps the SPFL doesn't get that income from the sponsors, etc. until season's end so isn't a possibility. Just seemed one option to get money to clubs that needed it without it being a loan.

You're right here, it sounds like the money could have been advanced in certain ways and Doncaster didn't convince me on Saturday that they couldn't. Not to be confused with loans though.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I haven't heard anyone say that loans are impossible. Just that it isn't feasible, which it clearly isn't. As the below says, advance fee payments are a different matter.

You're right here, it sounds like the money could have been advanced in certain ways and Doncaster didn't convince me on Saturday that they couldn't. Not to be confused with loans though.

If a Board of any company said they wont go down that road then that is that whether its looked on as right or wrong. The fact it 'could have' been done this way or that is irrelevant. The Board didnt entertain it. They are not duty bound by some kind of law or regulation that they have to.

1 minute ago, rainbowrising said:

If a Board of any company said they wont go down that road then that is that whether its looked on as right or wrong. The fact it 'could have' been done this way or that is irrelevant. The Board didnt entertain it. They are not duty bound by some kind of law or regulation that they have to.

It isn't really irrelevant. The members are entitled to question how they reached the conclusion that ending the leagues was the only option. They are legally bound to act in the best interests of it's members and stakeholders which would indirectly include considering all options available to them.

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm sure that they originally said not possible,  searches show both.  Anyway clubs should have been notified of all options available to them and the spfl's rush to push this through no matter what was shocking.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It isn't really irrelevant. The members are entitled to question how they reached the conclusion that ending the leagues was the only option. They are legally bound to act in the best interests of it's members and stakeholders which would indirectly include considering all options available to them.

Some of those members sit on the Board. They would have been involved as part of the Board and as members in the decision making. So to some degree members took part. On a more general point these kind of scenarios make me wonder just what exactly the club members of the SPFL do with their time and how much due diligence they spend with regards to what goes on in the SPFL. f**k all it would appear. 

34 minutes ago, bennett said:

...a good bit of journalism from Ewen Murray...

I doubt Murray knows what objective journalism actually is.

A quick look at his twitter feed will show a man who has a very clear bias and it's thinly veiled in that article.