The P&B Pantry

What milk do you buy?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

It's not that sustainable but curing your own bacon at home is spectacular.

My smoker project is pretty much a goer I think, and making home made smoked bacon will be well up there. 

18 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You're being ripped off and buying shite.

Really?  I’ve always found Simon Howie produce to be good quality.  Check the Nom Nom Nom thread later for an example.

Simon Howie bacon is full of water. Dabbing all the white scummy bits off with a kitchen towel for the most part.

Stick with your local butcher.

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Really?  I’ve always found Simon Howie produce to be good quality.  Check the Nom Nom Nom thread later for an example.

The square sausage is salty and dry and the bacon is as described by Slenderman, plus tasteless. And it all costs far too much.

26 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The square sausage is salty and dry and the bacon is as described by Slenderman, plus tasteless. And it all costs far too much.

I suppose it’s a matter of taste and opinion.

You have no taste and your opinion is wrong.

On 03/05/2020 at 21:46, KnightswoodBear said:

Unsmoked bacon?  Who are these people? What are their names? 

< This guy. I don't mind smoked but much prefer unsmoked.

Unsure as to the issue here.

On 04/05/2020 at 18:21, Billy Jean King said:

Doesn't bacon give you cancer ?

No, that's rhythm.

23 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

See all your veggie folk that say killing amimals is bad and it puts a strain on the environment. Well most of them have loads of pets. What do pets eat?
Theres hundreds of millions of animals that are doing the same and kept as non essential pets. Hypocritical maybe?

I love pets and animals, just saying. I'm sure pets consume more meat than entire countries put together.

Do you have any links for the claim in bold (indeed, a bold claim)?

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Green, but would rather choose blue over red if necessary. 1%’s pretty good, but I’ve had trouble with it going off early in the past.

Brown. Had some lovely seeded stuff lately. Forced to get a loaf of Kingsmill White a few days ago, and it’s vile. I’ve spoiled myself.

Don’t care about bacon, happy with either. I prefer a bit of sausage in the morning.

In bed?

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You're being ripped off and buying shite.

Disagree, never had an issue with it. 

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

It's not that sustainable but curing your own bacon at home is spectacular.

Perhaps not sustainable but probably way better for you considering a lot of bacon in the supermarket is apparently smoked with animals bones and other horrible shite.

2 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Perhaps not sustainable but probably way better for you considering a lot of bacon in the supermarket is apparently smoked with animals bones and other horrible shite.

You do know that bacon is peeled off bones in the first place?

From the Guardian:

Traditionally, bacon is made by rubbing cuts of pork loin or belly with a mixture of salt and spices and leaving the meat for a week, before it is washed with warm water, dried and smoked. And you can still buy bacon made that way, if you’re willing to pay for it.

But mass-produced bacon is made in a different way – cured by injections of salty water, which can also include chemicals such as potassium nitrate, sodium nitrate and ascorbic acid. “The main reason that’s done is to actually increase the weight, so when you’re buying bacon in the supermarket you’re actually buying expensive water,” says Charlie Pyper, the founder of Cure & Simple, a premium bacon supplier.

From Simon Howies website:

Our award-winning Smoked Back Bacon is thickly cut, dry cured by hand and contains no added water.

It’s matured for seven days minimum and then traditionally smoked over beechwood in our Perthshire smokehouse for a deliciously moreish flavour.

Take that Howie haters #perthshire #willingtopayforit

On 05/05/2020 at 20:36, DA Baracus said:

In bed?

I usually munch sausage on the way to work.

That's the old fortune cookie thing, isn't it? Adding 'in bed' to the end of your fortune.

• Things are hard, but life will soon improve...in bed.
  • Be sure to lock your back door...in bed.
  • Children will play a key role in your life...you get the idea.