Games You Never Completed

BFTD

Games you played, but didn't see through to the end, and the reasons why.

Pretty much anything by Bethesda, except Fallout 3 - the huge number of things to do always lead me away from the main story, and I end up tired of the whole thing way before I get to the end. In Skyrim, I never even chose a side in the main plotline. That's one of the first things you do, FFS. Fallout 4 sets up the premise that your child has been stolen, then does everything it can to make you feel that it isn't urgent, which is so ridiculous that I didn't feel any need to follow the storyline at all. The games are a lot of fun, and I'm not complaining at all, but it feels really odd that the main storylines are so disposable.

Half-Life 2 - got the collector's edition as a present on release, 14 years ago. I've tried playing it through three times, and always end up drifting away from it sometime after Ravenholm. It was impressive for the time, but I guess I never found the story very interesting, and the gameplay is OK but not gripping enough to make up for it. I enjoyed playing through the original and all the expansions back in the day too. Been telling myself for years that I'd eventually slog through HL2 and the Episodes, but it's obviously not going to happen.

GTA: San Andreas - enjoyed fannying about in it for a while, but this was the point where GTA just got too big and had too much pointless guff you were expected to do. At some point Rockstar seem to have decided to strap on life simulators to these games, and I always felt like I was struggling against the game to have fun. So I gave up. GTA4 sounded even worse and had some horrifying ideas, so they lost me. GTA3 and Vice City both got completed.

Anything that requires focus, reduced light, and silence - that includes Alien: Isolation and the Thief games. All seemed like fun, and I got a few hours into some of them, but I never get the time or right conditions to pay them the attention they deserve. Maybe one day.

Deus Ex - I just can't get into it. I had the same problem with System Shock 2, which uses the same engine, as it looks like absolute dugshite and the mechanics are so clunky. And that was back twenty years ago. I managed to get past that with SS2 eventually, and it's one of my favourite games now. Still haven't managed it with Deus Ex, and probably never will.

Unreal - I just thought it was shit. Very pretty for the time, but a very dull FPS with weaponry that felt very weak.

Red Dead Redemption 2.

I recognise that it is a technical masterpiece, but I didn't find it particularly fun to play.

Might give it another crack once I've finished FF7R.

Plenty of games I have stopped playing because I didn’t try to due to a lack of interest or whatever but when I was a lot younger I tried repeatedly to win MK3 but never got past that Motaro motherfucker.

Games you played, but didn't see through to the end, and the reasons why.
Pretty much anything by Bethesda, except Fallout 3 - the huge number of things to do always lead me away from the main story, and I end up tired of the whole thing way before I get to the end. In Skyrim, I never even chose a side in the main plotline. That's one of the first things you do, FFS. Fallout 4 sets up the premise that your child has been stolen, then does everything it can to make you feel that it isn't urgent, which is so ridiculous that I didn't feel any need to follow the storyline at all. The games are a lot of fun, and I'm not complaining at all, but it feels really odd that the main storylines are so disposable.
Half-Life 2 - got the collector's edition as a present on release, 14 years ago. I've tried playing it through three times, and always end up drifting away from it sometime after Ravenholm. It was impressive for the time, but I guess I never found the story very interesting, and the gameplay is OK but not gripping enough to make up for it. I enjoyed playing through the original and all the expansions back in the day too. Been telling myself for years that I'd eventually slog through HL2 and the Episodes, but it's obviously not going to happen.
GTA: San Andreas - enjoyed fannying about in it for a while, but this was the point where GTA just got too big and had too much pointless guff you were expected to do. At some point Rockstar seem to have decided to strap on life simulators to these games, and I always felt like I was struggling against the game to have fun. So I gave up. GTA4 sounded even worse and had some horrifying ideas, so they lost me. GTA3 and Vice City both got completed.
Anything that requires focus, reduced light, and silence - that includes Alien: Isolation and the Thief games. All seemed like fun, and I got a few hours into some of them, but I never get the time or right conditions to pay them the attention they deserve. Maybe one day.
Deus Ex - I just can't get into it. I had the same problem with System Shock 2, which uses the same engine, as it looks like absolute dugshite and the mechanics are so clunky. And that was back twenty years ago. I managed to get past that with SS2 eventually, and it's one of my favourite games now. Still haven't managed it with Deus Ex, and probably never will.
Unreal - I just thought it was shit. Very pretty for the time, but a very dull FPS with weaponry that felt very weak.
I get where you're coming from with Alien Isolation. It's a brilliant game but I didn't enjoy one moment of it. I still finished it though, I'm not a shitebag.

I get where you're coming from with Alien Isolation. It's a brilliant game but I didn't enjoy one moment of it. I still finished it though, I'm not a shitebag.
Brilliant game but very intense and nerve racking, not the type of game you can unwind playing after work. I did complete but it does over stay it's welcome, there is a couple of points were you think this must be the end just for it to go on another 2 or 3 levels.

I've never finished any of the Xcom games despite being a big fan. I always play it on the harder difficulties and every time it goes to shit after a few in-game months and I have to start again.

On 03/05/2020 at 22:38, BigFatTabbyDave said:

How far did you get?

God not even that far, I think you have to collect 4 of the map pieces and I only vividly remember collecting one 

On 03/05/2020 at 17:11, Gaz said:

Red Dead Redemption 2.

I recognise that it is a technical masterpiece, but I didn't find it particularly fun to play.

Might give it another crack once I've finished FF7R.

Definitely go back to it. I felt the same but went back to it recently. Once you get into it, its superb

As for games Ive never completed ... pretty much all of them! I generally get stuck and cant be arsed or just dont enjoy them enough to keep going. 

I did complete Skyrim, Fallout 3 and 4 though ... only an idiot wouldnt!

I havent completed Alien Isolation, but I will go back to it at some point, same with Outer Worlds. The Witcher, though, is consigned to the unfinished forever pile.

ETA - I guess my most noteable one would be Fallout New Vegas. Despite pouring hours into 3 and 4 and starting NV a few times, I just cant get into it

EETA - at the other end of the scale, I think Shenmue and Fallout 3 are the only games Ive completed twice

Edited by Mr X

Don't think I've completed Cannon Fodder either. Got very far in but there was on mission I couldn't get past and the sight of all the gravestones had me wracked with guilt.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Definitely go back to it. I felt the same but went back to it recently. Once you get into it, its superb

I definitely will at some point. I just feel that with three young kids and not a lot of time to play games these days, I don't want something where I have to ride on a horse for twenty minutes to get to a mission's start point. I just want something I can pick up and play.

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

I definitely will at some point. I just feel that with three young kids and not a lot of time to play games these days, I don't want something where I have to ride on a horse for twenty minutes to get to a mission's start point. I just want something I can pick up and play.

That was one of my main frustrations early on, but it gets less as the game goes on. The inability to save during a mission is still a pain but I tend to just pause it if I need to deal with the kids.

Headhunter for the ps2 was one that I wish I had completed. 
I remember for years I couldn’t complete a certain level, and would chuck it.
Went back to it a while afterwards and progressed well through it. Only for it then to freeze at the same point and it got forgotten about. 

More recently, couldn’t be arsed with Horizon Zero Dawn. Got quite a bit through it too and then it froze after me not saving for a while, never bothered to go back to it because I got RDR2. 

On a slightly different tack, after lockdown started I put my amiga emulator on my new laptop, and completed (admittedly after watching a YouTube walk through) the Atlantic Accelerator mission on Syndicate. 

Having completed every other mission in the game at the time, I reckon this took me 26 years from first playing it to finishing it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Final Fantasy 12 and 15.

12 I think I got to the last boss through sheer willpower to finish it, lost and never bothered trying again. Shite characters and couldn't relate at all.

15 was incredibly linear and had to give it up due to again, not finding anything in the game to relate to.

Fallout 3. Played it all night for two nights in a row whilst at uni and gave it up. Just couldn't connect with it sadly, even though it felt like I'd enjoy it. Completed 4 a few times ffs.