Free Game Watch

Hue is free on Epic.

Worth getting but nothing challenging for any experienced platform/puzzle players.

Interesting note, Conan Exiles was also due to be free but it got pulled just hours before - after being advertised for a week. Many people pissed, nobody really sure why it's been pulled. It might come back if that sort of thing is your bag.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Ric said:

Apparently not, people are saying if you sign up it'll be gifted to your account:

For those without an account: https://register.ubisoft.com/ubisoft-forward-reward/en-GB

There is the problem of needing to launch it through uPlay (plus WD2 is a bit pants).

I signed in with an existing account but not sure if it did anything!

I started using Playnite a while ago. Its a global launcher with emulator support too :) 

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

I signed in with an existing account but not sure if it did anything!

I started using Playnite a while ago. Its a global launcher with emulator support too :) 

From reports it takes a while before it hits your account. I'll be honest here I'm going on other people's comments rather than first hand. The HUKD thread linked at the top of this page has some images of what people have had added to their account.

Sorry I couldn't be more precise.

Onto the Epic Game launcher, and they have Killing Floor 2 (Decent enough Co-op zombie killer FPS, not unlike Left4Dead), Lonely Planet (a walking sim) and The Escapists 2 (think of the opposite of Prison Architect - instead of building, you are escaping!). All pretty decent, albeit Lonely Planet is a bit dull. KF2 is very solid with a strong lobby the last time I looked, and TE2 has quite a lot of depth if you can be bothered spending time with it, sort of like an RPG in many ways.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games

Continuing on with Epic, I see they are also offering up Thimbleweed Park and Sludge Life. The former is a point and click classic in the Monkey Island mould. I've never played it but there are few playthroughs on YouTube which, dropping into it at random points, seem to suggest it's decent enough. Sludge Life looks like a home made odd cell shader FPS where you explore a town and "tag" areas. There seems to be a storyline to it, but it doesn't look like it'll have much game life. Might do, maybe I'm being unfair. It's a Devolver title so I mean it's got that going for it.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games

Two titles being gifted for free from Epic this week are:

Two very different titles. Tacoma has been kicking around for a while now (and if you have a Humble Bundle sub, you can find it as a DRM free download in their Trove). I'm not entirely sure how much game there is to it, as I think it might be a bit of a "walking sim" (yeah, in space, I know), with the real hook being the storyline behind it. Apparently there are hours of recorded dialogue and it's won tons of awards.

As for Next Up Hero, another game I've not played. If you liked Torchlight from last week then I guess this will float your boat. It doesn't seem to be as solid as that title though with reviews claiming it's got too short an attention span with it becoming repetitive fairly quickly. Might be worth grabbing for free simply to have it in your library.

In what's turning into being a weekly thing for me to post, here are the free games from Epic.

There's 3 of them this week, all of them fairly small indie titles but there is no stinker in the pack, which is nice.

Fist up, 20XX. Solid 2D sideways platformer in classic style.

If this floats your boat, then you can check out SplatterCat's first impressions vid/review. Vid in spoiler..

Spoiler

Next up is Barony (Cursed Edition). This has a bit more depth, a roguelike dungeon crawler with retro graphics and multiplayer option (up to 4 players I believe)..

If you are curious, then you could do a lot worse than check out Tomato's near 4 hour stream (yeah, you read that right) although it's the Blessed Edition and I don't know the difference, it looks very similar to this version though. Vid in spoiler link below:

Spoiler

Finally we have Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, which is now nigh on a decade old. Starting off as a mobile game it's as far from what you'd expect when you use the term "mobile game". It's quirky, has a fairly deep storyline, but it won't hold your hand through any of it. It's a testament to it's quality that it still holds up today, although it's a little rough and ready in places but it certainly pays you back for taking the time with it.

I'm a bit late but.. Humble are giving away a free copy of F1 2018.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/f1-2018-free-game

It's available until roughly this time Monday.

The 2018 version of the game is actually quite solid, and while it's obviously an outdated roster and car design there are a lot of mods out there. F1 2019 was essentially a reskin of 2018, albeit with slightly more aggressive AI, but if you get into it, there is a lot of game here you are getting for nowt.

If you are still unsure, then have a watch of Aarvaa's (lengthy) playlist.

Edited by Ric

Hey guys! Did you know that Bethesda has their own Steam/Origin/Uplay/Epic Games Store/GOG Galaxy style launcher now? SO stoked to have another piece of DRM to install!

Anyway, if you sign up and download the installer while QuakeCon is on, your account with them will be credited with a free copy of the original Quake, and apparently Quake II is likely to be added for nowt as well. Nothing much to write home about, but it's Quake. QUAKE. You can never have too many copies.

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Hey guys! Did you know that Bethesda has their own Steam/Origin/Uplay/Epic Games Store/GOG Galaxy style launcher now? SO stoked to have another piece of DRM to install!

Anyway, if you sign up and download the installer while QuakeCon is on, your account with them will be credited with a free copy of the original Quake, and apparently Quake II is likely to be added for nowt as well. Nothing much to write home about, but it's Quake. QUAKE. You can never have too many copies.

Yeah, I spotted that Q1 is being given away free. It's 20+ years old though. In fact to show you how old it is, it was the first game I played competitively online! Free is free, so I'm not knocking it. I'm guessing ID/Bethesda will have tweaked the game to run on Win10 - native windows support has always been a "thing" with Q1. If not could I recommend checking out the alternative rendering engines:

https://www.quaddicted.com/quake/recommended_engines

If you navigate back to the home page of that site you'll find all sorts of resources, including an absolute shit ton of player created maps, and an unending number of mods.

On the flip side about launchers, EA and Ubisoft are now offering their titles up on Steam. Not sure if that means the end of Origin/uPlay but if you buy the title from Steam you don't need the EA/Ubi launcher too.

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yeah, I spotted that Q1 is being given away free. It's 20+ years old though. In fact to show you how old it is, it was the first game I played competitively online! Free is free, so I'm not knocking it. I'm guessing ID/Bethesda will have tweaked the game to run on Win10 - native windows support has always been a "thing" with Q1. If not could I recommend checking out the alternative rendering engines:

https://www.quaddicted.com/quake/recommended_engines

If you navigate back to the home page of that site you'll find all sorts of resources, including an absolute shit ton of player created maps, and an unending number of mods.

On the flip side about launchers, EA and Ubisoft are now offering their titles up on Steam. Not sure if that means the end of Origin/uPlay but if you buy the title from Steam you don't need the EA/Ubi launcher too.

Aye, you could happily spend the rest of your life on a desert island with Quake or Doom and the catalogue of mods. Age means nothing when your codebase is freely available!

Are you sure about the not-needing-Origin-or-Uplay thing? I'd read they were back to selling on Steam, but you still needed their launcher installed to play. I know that was true of some of their older (but not that old) titles like Far Cry 3.

5 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Are you sure about the not-needing-Origin-or-Uplay thing? I'd read they were back to selling on Steam, but you still needed their launcher installed to play. I know that was true of some of their older (but not that old) titles like Far Cry 3.

From second hand info, yes. A friend has a bit of a soft spot for early Assassin's Creed and got the first couple of games in the recent Steam sale. I asked if it needed uPlay too (because it used to) and he said he certainly doesn't have it installed and it never popped up when he kicked the game off from Steam. Whether it's still there in the background I couldn't say but it looks like it isn't.

So take it as a soft "it's not needed".