Where is this ground?

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Also vaguely remember home teams changing kit for Scottish Cup games under SFA rules so if it is a competitive game that would probably be the competition.

It used to be both teams wore change kit if there was a colour clash in Scottish Cup games, certainly in the 60’s plus in league games back then the home team changed kit.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I vaguely remember going there for a 1:45 Saturday kickoff in the mid-70s and that being very unusual for an Accies away game at the time.

Other thoughts would be that the crowd looks sparse for a competitive game as the more vocal portion of the home support tended to stand on the terracing in front of the enclosure and Alloa always had a reasonable home following of several hundred unlike some other clubs in that era ( Dumbarton and Stirling Albion come to mind). More likely to be preseason then?

Also vaguely remember home teams changing kit for Scottish Cup games under SFA rules so if it is a competitive game that would probably be the competition.

Home teams changed in the league as well until some time in the 70s. In the Scottish Cup (and English) BOTH teams had to change if there was a colour clash, at least into the 60s.

31 minutes ago, honestman54 said:

Is it Firs Park, East Stirlingshires ground?

I take it the old barrel roof stand was on the other side. I was only ever in it once and can't count it on my list because there wasn't a game on.

24 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Ahead of their time with the social distancing ...

ES vs Clyde, I'd guess.

Think it's the Shire in white playing Arbroath judging by who posted it? The Shire wore kit like that in the 80s. Surprisingly large crowd for that era though unless it's a derby against Stenny.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Think it's the Shire in white playing Arbroath judging by who posted it? The Shire wore kit like that in the 80s. Surprisingly large crowd for that era though unless it's a derby against Stenny.
I am not sure if the team in maroon are Arbroath. Just found the pic in an old football book and wondered if it was Firs Park. Been there a few times but was probably on that terracing looking at the barrel roof stand. Anyone know if the ground is still there or has it been redeveloped?

• 2 months later...

Following onto this, here’s a useful site that lets you search historical matchups.

http://www.fitbastats.com

Searched Alloa v Arbroath between 1970-71 and 1978-79 and got this.

7 Matching Games. 10 Selected. Page 1 of 1

Date Venue Competition (Round) Opponent Result Score
04/03/1978 Home Scottish League (29) Arbroath D 0-0
22/10/1977 Away Scottish League (13) Arbroath L 0-2
13/08/1977 Home Scottish League (1) Arbroath D 1-1
18/04/1972 Away Scottish League (32) Arbroath L 0-1
25/03/1972 Home Scottish League (29) Arbroath L 0-3
27/02/1971 Away Scottish League (26) Arbroath L 2-6
24/10/1970 Home Scottish League (11) Arbroath L 3-6

On the Firs park question, isn’t it now just open ground/overgrown?