Where is this ground?

24 minutes ago, relichtie said:

Anyone know which ground this picture is from. Could it be Firs Park former home of the Shire? IMG_20160617_193031.jpeg

Why would it not be Recreation Park, Alloa?  Just seeing the Alloa chippy advertised there and an advert mentioning Dollar.

On 02/05/2020 at 18:11, relichtie said:

Thanks for the comments guys. It was the team in white putting me off. It looks like a Shire or Clyde strip rather than Alloa.

I'd guess it was Alloa's change strip, but God knows why.

12 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'd been there when that terracing was still there and the yellow supports gave it away before I saw the advertising boards.

I've been to Alloa on a couple of freezing cold days and I think it's a colder place than Arbroath when the weather's freezing 

At least that old shed had a bit of shelter from the wind and fans could huddle together for warmth. The new seating they have there is pneumonia inducing 

4 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

I'd guess it was Alloa's change strip, but God knows why.

Unless it was a second Scottish Cup replay at a "neutral" ground- Arbroath had such a game against Stenhousemuir in 1987 that was played at Muirton Park, Perth 

It's an Alloa change kit. The colours is an orangey/amber rather than red.

That would make the photo around 74-78 as Alloa were yellow before and after that (although change kits might well have been used longer).

Round collar makes me think a change version of 74-75.

It's possible the thick black hoops used that season created clash with the maroon of Arbroath.

Screenshot_20200504-175223_Chrome.jpg

Looks like there are probably no floodlights, which might help narrow down the date as well. Alloa were one of the last SFL teams to get them installed and didn't do it until well into the 70s from what I vaguely remember of going there to watch Hamilton Accies a few times.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's an Alloa change kit. The colours is an orangey/amber rather than red.

That would make the photo around 74-78 as Alloa were yellow before and after that (although change kits might well have been used longer).

Round collar makes me think a change version of 74-75.

It's possible the thick black hoops used that season created clash with the maroon of Arbroath.

Good thinking Batman...

Edit - the plot thickens. They weren't in the same division until 77-78. And they didn't meet in the two major cups between 73-78.

Edited by The Mantis

Hmm pre season glamour friendly?

Aug 13 1977 they played each other at Recreation Park for the first time in a competitive game since 1972.

As i said before it's possible change kits would have been kept on for many years after first team kits were replaced but who knows?

@Waspie might know?

Edited by invergowrie arab

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Looks like there are probably no floodlights, which might help narrow down the date as well. Alloa were one of the last SFL teams to get them installed and didn't do it until well into the 70s from what I vaguely remember of going there to watch Hamilton Accies a few times.

I remember a Scottish Cup replay I wasn't allowed to go to at Alloa after a 1-1 draw with Airdrie at Broomfield. That was 1971, if I remember correctly. It was played on a Wednesday afternoon. My Dad took a half day and went, he didn't extend the invitation to me. I went to all the rest, including both semis v. Celtic 3-3, followed by 0-2.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Hmm pre season glamour friendly?

Aug 13 1977 they played each other at Recreation Park for the first time in a competitive game since 1972.

As i said before it's possible change kits would have been kept on for many years after first team kits were replaced but who knows?

@Waspie might know?

I don't know! 

Definitely the Recs though. Floodlights were installed in 1979 IIRC. 

@Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

10 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I remember a Scottish Cup replay I wasn't allowed to go to at Alloa after a 1-1 draw with Airdrie at Broomfield. That was 1971, if I remember correctly. It was played on a Wednesday afternoon. My Dad took a half day and went, he didn't extend the invitation to me. I went to all the rest, including both semis v. Celtic 3-3, followed by 0-2.

I vaguely remember going there for a 1:45 Saturday kickoff in the mid-70s and that being very unusual for an Accies away game at the time.

Other thoughts would be that the crowd looks sparse for a competitive game as the more vocal portion of the home support tended to stand on the terracing in front of the enclosure and Alloa always had a reasonable home following of several hundred unlike some other clubs in that era ( Dumbarton and Stirling Albion come to mind). More likely to be preseason then?

Also vaguely remember home teams changing kit for Scottish Cup games under SFA rules so if it is a competitive game that would probably be the competition.