Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Anyone know which ground this picture is from. Could it be Firs Park former home of the Shire? IMG_20160617_193031.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, relichtie said:

 

Anyone know which ground this picture is from. Could it be Firs Park former home of the Shire? IMG_20160617_193031.jpeg

 

Why would it not be Recreation Park, Alloa?  Just seeing the Alloa chippy advertised there and an advert mentioning Dollar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd agree. I was only there once, in about 1972. The photo looks to be about that era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It also says Maclay's Alloa Draught on the roof of the enclosure and the supports are painted yellow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the comments guys. It was the team in white putting me off. It looks like a Shire or Clyde strip rather than Alloa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As soon as I saw the ads I thought Alloa. Plus there's a fan with a black and gold scarf. Anyway, it's been confirmed already as Recreation Park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd been there when that terracing was still there and the yellow supports gave it away before I saw the advertising boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, relichtie said:

 

Anyone know which ground this picture is from. Could it be Firs Park former home of the Shire? IMG_20160617_193031.jpeg

 

Definitely the Recs in Alloa back in the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2020 at 18:11, relichtie said:

Thanks for the comments guys. It was the team in white putting me off. It looks like a Shire or Clyde strip rather than Alloa.

I'd guess it was Alloa's change strip, but God knows why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'd been there when that terracing was still there and the yellow supports gave it away before I saw the advertising boards.

I've been to Alloa on a couple of freezing cold days and I think it's a colder place than Arbroath when the weather's freezing 

At least that old shed had a bit of shelter from the wind and fans could huddle together for warmth. The new seating they have there is pneumonia inducing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

I'd guess it was Alloa's change strip, but God knows why.

Unless it was a second Scottish Cup replay at a "neutral" ground- Arbroath had such a game against Stenhousemuir in 1987 that was played at Muirton Park, Perth 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely Arbroath in the maroon.  I stuck it on a FB page for auld c***s and two guys can name the Arbroath players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an Alloa change kit. The colours is an orangey/amber rather than red.

That would make the photo around 74-78 as Alloa were yellow before and after that (although change kits might well have been used longer).

Round collar makes me think a change version of 74-75.

It's possible the thick black hoops used that season created clash with the maroon of Arbroath.

 

Screenshot_20200504-175223_Chrome.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like there are probably no floodlights, which might help narrow down the date as well. Alloa were one of the last SFL teams to get them installed and didn't do it until well into the 70s from what I vaguely remember of going there to watch Hamilton Accies a few times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's an Alloa change kit. The colours is an orangey/amber rather than red.

That would make the photo around 74-78 as Alloa were yellow before and after that (although change kits might well have been used longer).

Round collar makes me think a change version of 74-75.

It's possible the thick black hoops used that season created clash with the maroon of Arbroath.

 

 

Good thinking Batman...

Edit - the plot thickens. They weren't in the same division until 77-78. And they didn't meet in the two major cups between 73-78.

Edited by The Mantis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm pre season glamour friendly?

Aug 13 1977 they played each other at Recreation Park for the first time in a competitive game since 1972.

As i said before it's possible change kits would have been kept on for many years after first team kits were replaced but who knows?

@Waspie might know?

Edited by invergowrie arab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Looks like there are probably no floodlights, which might help narrow down the date as well. Alloa were one of the last SFL teams to get them installed and didn't do it until well into the 70s from what I vaguely remember of going there to watch Hamilton Accies a few times.

I remember a Scottish Cup replay I wasn't allowed to go to at Alloa after a 1-1 draw with Airdrie at Broomfield. That was 1971, if I remember correctly. It was played on a Wednesday afternoon. My Dad took a half day and went, he didn't extend the invitation to me. I went to all the rest, including both semis v. Celtic 3-3, followed by 0-2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Hmm pre season glamour friendly?

Aug 13 1977 they played each other at Recreation Park for the first time in a competitive game since 1972.

As i said before it's possible change kits would have been kept on for many years after first team kits were replaced but who knows?

@Waspie might know?

I don't know! 

Definitely the Recs though. Floodlights were installed in 1979 IIRC. 

@Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Arbroath kit would date it to 71-75 as they adopted a white collar for 75-77

It might simply be the league fixture of the early 70s. Would a colour photo have been usual then?

Edited by invergowrie arab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I remember a Scottish Cup replay I wasn't allowed to go to at Alloa after a 1-1 draw with Airdrie at Broomfield. That was 1971, if I remember correctly. It was played on a Wednesday afternoon. My Dad took a half day and went, he didn't extend the invitation to me. I went to all the rest, including both semis v. Celtic 3-3, followed by 0-2.

I vaguely remember going there for a 1:45 Saturday kickoff in the mid-70s and that being very unusual for an Accies away game at the time.

Other thoughts would be that the crowd looks sparse for a competitive game as the more vocal portion of the home support tended to stand on the terracing in front of the enclosure and Alloa always had a reasonable home following of several hundred unlike some other clubs in that era ( Dumbarton and Stirling Albion come to mind). More likely to be preseason then?

Also vaguely remember home teams changing kit for Scottish Cup games under SFA rules so if it is a competitive game that would probably be the competition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...