Scrubs

paul-r-cfc

On 22/05/2020 at 09:12, The OP said:

Another American show which started very well and declined a fair bit as it became more ridiculous and the main character less relatable. Maybe around season 5.

Yep.

The Janitor being case in point. Started off as a genuinely funny, enigmatic character with a great back and forth with JD.

Just a slapstick weirdo by the end. 

I did/do love Scrubs though.

Loses a bit of its charm as they become more competent doctors too. A lot of the comedy in the early seasons is about them bumbling about trying to find their way in the hospital.

Spent about an hour yesterday trying to find my season 2 boxset without success. Watching it on all 4 is a last resort as apparently a lot of the songs have been changed on the steaming services due to copyright issues.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yep.

The Janitor being case in point. Started off as a genuinely funny, enigmatic character with a great back and forth with JD.

Just a slapstick weirdo by the end. 

I did/do love Scrubs though.

Far more positives than negatives.  Managed to combine pretty decent comedy with some good messages and memorable pathos.

I seem to recall in the commentary on one of the episodes saying that they checked a lot of the stuff with doctors to make sure what they were saying was accurate.

The x ray that gets stuck up in the intro was deliberately put up the wrong way round to show their apparent incompetence as newbies.

I seem to recall in the commentary on one of the episodes saying that they checked a lot of the stuff with doctors to make sure what they were saying was accurate.

The x ray that gets stuck up in the intro was deliberately put up the wrong way round to show their apparent incompetence as newbies.

They talk about that a bit on the podcast. Bill Lawrence started studying medicine and a lot of the plot lines are real stories from his pal - the 'real JD' who was the medical advisor on the show. Doctors who contributed a story or offered advice, got patients named after them too.

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Far more positives than negatives.  Managed to combine pretty decent comedy with some good messages and memorable pathos.

Absolutely, I haven't re-watched in ages so may do so again.

11 hours ago, RiG said:

This thread provoked me into listening to the podcast and they mention the x-ray in the first episode. They conceded that it's a myth that the x-ray is up the wrong way on purpose, they just fucked it up.

12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This thread provoked me into listening to the podcast and they mention the x-ray in the first episode. They conceded that it's a myth that the x-ray is up the wrong way on purpose, they just fucked it up.

Last time I trust what someone says on a DVD episode commentary :angry:

On 02/05/2020 at 21:48, Granny Danger said:

Sad to hear about Sam Lloyd, genuinely great voice.  The Blanks performed at Dundee Uni a few years back and I only found out a couple of days later, was gutted to know I missed the opportunity to see them.

I saw the Blanks twice in Edinburgh - once was a normal concert and one was a kind of comedy/concert during the Fringe (The Scotsman's review - amazing to see what 12 quid could get you in 2012).  After the Fringe show the four of them just congregated at the bar and sat around telling stories.  It was brilliant until one of them (the guy with the hair) started hitting on my date and I could tell she was far more interested in him (despite being at least 30 years her senior) than me...

Desperately sad to hear that "Ted" had passed away, especially given that he leaves such a young son.

On 22/05/2020 at 12:12, The OP said:

Another American show which started very well and declined a fair bit as it became more ridiculous and the main character less relatable. Maybe around season 5.

In my mind, Season 9 never happened.

Season 6 was completed vindicated by My Musical, which is as good a TV episode as has ever been made.  Back in the day I remember saving each of the songs onto an MP3 player to the point I could recite the entire episode from memory.  Season 7 was interrupted by the writer's strike, and granted that was far from ideal (and My Princess is a terrible episode), but Season 8 was a good finale.  Just a pity that Season 9 exists!

15 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Despite being utterly bizzarre as well, it tends to be ranked highest when it comes to most medically accurate TV shows. No mean feat:

https://www.tvinsider.com/gallery/realistic-accurate-medical-tv-shows/#2

The best example of that being My Lunch in Season 5 - a fantastic episode that is even more impressive when you realise it was based on a true story.

I am going to have to dust off my DVD player and re-watch the first 8 seasons for about the 5th time...

Season 8 is solid, particularly the one where they sit with the dying guy all night. Pretty sure that was S8. Finale was perfect too. And yes, season 9 never happened. Don't think I even finished it at the time. Apart from being awful, I seem to remember it being too bright and shiney which made it seem like some SNL partial reunion of the original.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Watching the first series of this, it's worth remembering that the Janitor started off as a figment of JD's imagination. Nobody else interacts with him.

The podcast says that's a bit of myth. There are a few instances of other characters interacting with him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2020 at 20:16, Miguel Sanchez said:

Very few, and there aren't any cases where anyone talks to him directly or mentions him by name.

They say on the podcast the plan was for him to be revealed as a figment of his imagination in series 2 but that Neil Flynn was so good they had to make him mainstream.

They also think Bill Lawrence is talking shit as he is acknowledged once or twice in series 1.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/05/2020 at 23:37, paul-r-cfc said:

Season 8 is solid, particularly the one where they sit with the dying guy all night. 

I always remember that episode.  Just for the use of Death Cab for Cutie at the end.

I always remember that episode.  Just for the use of Death Cab for Cutie at the end.
One of several examples of them getting the perfect song for the moment. One of the only times I've heard 'How to Save a Life' by The Fray and it hasn't sounded forced or clichéd.

9 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:
On 06/07/2020 at 10:34, The Minertaur said:

One of several examples of them getting the perfect song for the moment. One of the only times I've heard 'How to Save a Life' by The Fray and it hasn't sounded forced or clichéd.

The music in scrubs has always been excellent. Being a total Scrubs geek when I was a teenager I can remember these being the key uses of song throughout:

Hallelujah at the end of My Old Lady.  The episode right at the start with Kathryn Joosten where they start the episode saying on average 1 in every 3 people admitted pass away.  

Winter by Joshua Radin at Ben's funeral.  Hold on Hope by Guilded by Voices when he's diagnosed with leukemia. 

They loved Keane - Everybody Changing as JD finishes the race and A Bad Dream when Laverne passes.

They even had The Coral Dreaming of You for when JD and Elliott finally hooked up!  Plenty other examples but it's clear they put a lot of time and effort into getting the right music.