St Johnstone's Next Permanent Manager

St Johnstone's next manager  

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Callum Davidson and Dave Mackay maybe more likely than Craig being involved in the combo? Mackay and Davidson were in the same Pro License group.

D5TyPojX4AA7vQE.jpg

ETA: Picture came out weird. It zooms in when you click on it.

Edited by Speroni*1

The timing is incredible, tbh. There's next-to-no transfer activity going on, so you're not missing out in any way while you choose the next guy. Plus, general uncertainty means nobody is really sacking managers: the merry go round has stopped. This means you've pretty much got your pick of what's available.

2 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Callum Davidson and Dave Mackay maybe more likely than Craig being involved in the combo? Mackay and Davidson were in the same Pro License group.

Is Mackay not assistant at Dundee?

As much as I'd love it, I'm not sure why he'd swap one assistant job for another unless theres massive difference in how he feels about Davidson/McPake;St Johnstone/Dundee.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

The timing is incredible, tbh. There's next-to-no transfer activity going on, so you're not missing out in any way while you choose the next guy. Plus, general uncertainty means nobody is really sacking managers: the merry go round has stopped. This means you've pretty much got your pick of what's available.

St Johnstone, doing St Johnstone things.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Is Mackay not assistant at Dundee?

As much as I'd love it, I'm not sure why he'd swap one assistant job for another unless theres massive difference in how he feels about Davidson/McPake;St Johnstone/Dundee.

No, he's just a coach. Jimmy Nicholl is the assistant. 

Just now, Speroni*1 said:

No, he's just a coach. Jimmy Nicholl is the assistant. 

Fair enough.

Suspect we'll try and stick with the coaching staff that's there as much as possible. So Cleland and Maybury will remain, and the new manager only brings in a new assistant. 

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Losing your most successful ever manager because of a transfer bust-up?

That's not what happened.

Shocked to see Hartley relatively high up on the bookies lists for this. Suppose they must be taking in to account that Dundee fans said he was a better manager than Alex Neil and not a complete fraud/jakey looking c**t.

Much as I would like him to stay at Montrose, Stewart Petrie has done an unbelievable job there, with remarkably little publicity given to him. Took over the club in December 2016 when they were bottom of League 2. Took them to the play offs five months later. Next season League 2 champions. Next season in League 1 playoffs. Next season, which is this season, he almost certainly would have had them in the playoffs again if they hadn't been scrapped. No better candidate within St Johnstone's budget.

It's always going to be a massive gamble for a top six club to appoint someone who has only ever managed at a part-time level before. I have been very impressed with Petrie's team every time I've seen them, but that doesn't always translate to the top level.

Look at someone like Ian Murray who took Dumbarton to the verge of the Premiership play offs but then failed miserably at St Mirren.

Petrie's next step will surely be Dunfermline, and if he does well there then that will be the time to make the jump up to this level.

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Look at someone like Ian Murray who took Dumbarton to the verge of the Premiership play offs but then failed miserably at St Mirren.

You could counter that with both Ross and Goodwin, albeit we were not in the Premiership when Ross was with us. He's certainly not out of his depth at Hibs though.

1 hour ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Shocked to see Hartley relatively high up on the bookies lists for this. Suppose they must be taking in to account Dundee fans said he was a better manager than Alex Neil and not a complete fraud/jakey looking c**t.

Still time IMO. And tbf, when I made that comment originally, Hartley had just put us in the best position possible to get promoted whilst Alex Neil had just been sent off and blew his team's chances leaving them needing a miracle to win the league. The fact that I maintained this view for about 5 year after that fact is completely irrelevant.

science fiction space GIF by SYFY

24 minutes ago, Eugene Dadi's Resurrection said:

I see Local man Roddie McKinnie has thrown his name in the ring

Apparently already got a backroom staff lined up from what I've read on social media

decent shout IMHO

I read this too - massive hype on social media just now surrounding him!!!!

Long live Rod the Prod - keep St Johnstone orange. 🍊 

Can confirm after receiving several threatening PM's from Bonsky demanding I change the poll to show my love for this great country that is Great Britain, that I would change the poll but this version of P&B doesn't seem to allow you to do so. @Bonksy+HisChristianParade