St Johnstone's Next Permanent Manager

St Johnstone's next manager  

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Not sure if he'll get it but I do know Pressley has been contacted about the vacancy.

By his agent hopefully and not the club.  Saints seem to have previously had one name in mind and gone for them. Although I think Lomas did. convince in an interview. All male panel I believe though.  

Edited by Bose

10 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

How is he thought of at Caley? I live in Inverness and he seems to be liked but maybe not revered? Would it be seen as a disaster if he left? 

I don’t think we’ll go for him fwiw, think compensation would get in the way. 

I think he's liked by most of the The Caley fans. 

We know we have no money and he has the best team we can afford and we're better than clubs who can pay players more, clubs like Dundee, Thistle and Dunfermline. 

If I know Ross Morrison and Scot Gardiner, they'll try and get as much out of St Johnstone as possible if it comes to that. 

Edit - our previous board would've probably let you have him for a couple of hundred quid. 

Edited by TheScarf

Hearts fans simultaneously believing we're heading into administration, and one of the 900 clearly bollocks WUM attempts in this thread so far, is a horrendous look for them.

Such a lack of intelligence deserves to spend a season or two in the lower tiers regardless of where the club actually ends up, IMO.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Imagine how pissed off the Dees would be if it was Hartley and he continued with the top 6 finishes, European jaunts etc. While McPake continued to flounder about playing Arbroath and Alloa. 

I'd be ecstatic for Pep. 

I'd even come along and sing the "Ole" song to him.* Good c**t. 

*If you were to accommodate some time between singing about Dundee. 

I’d be surprised if they make any appointment until such time as there’s some certainty about when professional football clubs will be back to some sort of normal routine. 

And by that time there might be a few decent managers available from clubs that have gone down the pan. So , aye ......John Robertson it is ,then

Current feeling is for Callum and Liam

I have a good feeling about them. 

A bit of continuity (sort of) to carry on from Tommy. Plus I’d want a similar style to continue with the basis of this squad kept together moving forward. As opposed to a brand new guy who doesn’t know the club in depth and perhaps makes risky wholesale changes. 

12 minutes ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

Current feeling is for Callum and Liam

I have a good feeling about them. 

A bit of continuity (sort of) to carry on from Tommy. Plus I’d want a similar style to continue with the basis of this squad kept together moving forward. As opposed to a brand new guy who doesn’t know the club in depth and perhaps makes risky wholesale changes. 

I'm heading to this thought process too.

The plan for years was for Davidson to succeed TW, and since then Davidson has gained experience with Scotland, Stoke and Millwall. For all we know Davidson branching out for a few years and learning from other people was part of that plan. He knows most of the players, and theyll know him, and the trust should be there. I dont see why that plan should be deviated from unless someone sensational comes along.

Every appointment will be a risk, but hiring someone who knows the players, and how everything worked for the majority of the best decade of the clubs existence, seems to give you a better chance than virtually every name I've seen linked so far.

Robertson would be a decent 'safe' option on paper.  Not sure how long a contract he's got left, but if there's no date for football returning on the horizon, would Inverness consider a mutual termination with him to avoid paying what must be their highest wage with no income?  

The timing of Tommy's departure might be the one positive about it.  However, even if clubs were forced into cutbacks and we had the pick of every manager in the league, I can't think of a single one that stands out.

Stewart Petrie at Montrose is a manager that has done brilliantly, and exceeded expectation for his club, but against that he has no experience of managing at a full-time club so probably too big a jump.

The Liam Craig/ Callum Davidson combination is probably the most appealing one, unless the club pull someone unexpected out of leftfield.

58 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

...would Inverness consider a mutual termination with him to avoid paying what must be their highest wage with no income?

On the flip side, why pay a manager when there is no need to.

I'd be stunned if you lot make a quick appointment. In many ways, Wright leaving you at this time is the best timing you could have. Obvs the world is going to shit, but just in terms of breathing space and avoiding paying wages you don't need to, it's "ideal".

Does Austin MacPhee roam in similar circles to Tommy Wright with the NI connection? I wonder if he might fancy a top job and would be the sort of gamble St Johnstone may make.

Despite Hearts being an absolute shitfest, I think that's more down to Levein losing the plot in the transfer market and all the long term deals for the wrong players. You don't really hear, publically at least, many people slating MacPhee for his involvement and he seemed to get a lot of credit for his coaching when thing were going well.

Hartley could be a good appointment and I think he could manage in the top flight again but after he absolutely lost the plot with his recruitment at Falkirk, I wouldn't imagine chairman would trust him. Hartley-ball played well was brilliant but there was just no consistency in it, he was actually becoming more pragmatic but his squad balance was atrocious with hundreds of lightweight attacking mids.

Much as I would like him to stay at Montrose, Stewart Petrie has done an unbelievable job there, with remarkably little publicity given to him. Took over the club in December 2016 when they were bottom of League 2. Took them to the play offs five months later. Next season League 2 champions. Next season in League 1 playoffs. Next season, which is this season, he almost certainly would have had them in the playoffs again if they hadn't been scrapped. No better candidate within St Johnstone's budget.

For differing reasons, I cant see any of MacPhee, Petrie or Hartley getting it, although I suspect all of them might apply/get interviewed, as part of the due process. 

1 hour ago, Ric said:

On the flip side, why pay a manager when there is no need to.

I'd be stunned if you lot make a quick appointment. In many ways, Wright leaving you at this time is the best timing you could have. Obvs the world is going to shit, but just in terms of breathing space and avoiding paying wages you don't need to, it's "ideal".

Yes, i said in my post you quoted that the timing of this is the one positive thing about it. There's no rush.

No to Macphee and not that excited at the prospect of Hartley.

When you look at our appointment of the likes of McInnes and Coyle, Stewart Petrie is not that out of the question. If it wasn't going to be Craig/Davidson appointment on a Monday, taking training on a Tuesday they be making love by Friday, then I'd prefer Petrie to all the other current Scottish managers out there.