Carrying holidays forward

Burnieman

30 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Well, as expected we’ve been instructed that holidays already booked are to be taken and can’t be cancelled, whilst staff are to be “encouraged” to book as much of their leave in advance as possible. The least surprising bit though is that despite being public sector key workers, there will be no option to carry over unused leave for up to 2 years as per the government rules in @Stu’s post. For us it will remain a maximum of 5 days carry over, all to be used within the first quarter of the next financial year. 

Unfortunately I think that one's a guideline rather than employers *must* allow you to do that.

The policy at your work was the way it used to be at ours but they relaxed it considerably a few weeks before lockdown happened 😂

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Unfortunately I think that one's a guideline rather than employers *must* allow you to do that.

The policy at your work was the way it used to be at ours but they relaxed it considerably a few weeks before lockdown happened 😂

Yeah I read over the Government stuff and tbh, it’s really no big deal for me and little will change. The 5 day carry limit (to be used in the first quarter) has been the policy here for years so nothing new. I think a lot of our teams thought/hoped the new 2 year  leave carry-over would be granted at our place but unfortunately it’s not. Albeit unlikely that I myself would make use of it, but I personally believe it should be applied so it makes it that wee bit worse having to piss on folks cornflakes, enforce the company’s position then big then to get some leave dates submitted ASAP.

Edited by 8MileBU

• 2 weeks later...

I work in the NHS and we have been told to use our annual leave before August (I'm medical so leave year runs August to August). We can carry over 5 days at the discretion of our manager.

The argument is that we still have the ability to take leave from a rota point of view, just because there isn't anything to do isn't an excuse for not taking it. A few folk had leave cancelled, which is a bit different as they will get recompensed for that.

10 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

I work in the NHS and we have been told to use our annual leave before August (I'm medical so leave year runs August to August). We can carry over 5 days at the discretion of our manager.

The argument is that we still have the ability to take leave from a rota point of view, just because there isn't anything to do isn't an excuse for not taking it. A few folk had leave cancelled, which is a bit different as they will get recompensed for that.

When the virus kicked off were they encouraging people to postpone holidays, when they thought they might be swamped?

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

When the virus kicked off were they encouraging people to postpone holidays, when they thought they might be swamped?

They didn't encourage people to cancel, they just cancelled the leave themselves. It's in our contracts that leave can be cancelled in exceptional circumstances. At the time, we thought we were going to get hit significantly harder than we did. Although, by reconfiguring services we also helped limit the impact.

If the Health Board cancelled your leave, then they offer compensation if you have had to cancel flights etc. It's also a reason to carry over more than five days or get paid for it, but again only if you can't take it before August.

Employers (b*****d ones of course) can dictate anyone's holidays with the same amount of notice. So if you are furloughed and still have 4 weeks left till december as an example.
They can make you take those 4 weeks in July.
They of course have to pay you 100% but they can still claim the 80%.
I am amazed how few have spotted the ability to do this to be honest.