Masks  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As some have said already , mask wearing should  have been compulsory since day one, but because the government had totally fucked up on PPE for the NHS they were telling us that masks made no difference, unless you were showing Covid 19 symptoms.

Whilst I appreciate masks only offer some protection, surely if they can help an  infected person from spreading the virus, they can also help others from getting it?

Also, the fact that many people who had the virus weren’t showing any of the classic symptoms, then surely making everyone wear one works have been the safest approach,

All you have to do is look at the infection and mortality rates of the countries who have been using masks and the figures speak for themselves.

Until they start making it compulsory to wear a mask in enclosed spaces in the UK, I really can’t see the infection and mortality rate figures substantially decreasing.

• 4 months later...
On 01/05/2020 at 10:26, Trackdaybob said:

Only if it's compulsory. Never felt the need to wear one yet. 

If some businesses decide I need a mask to enter their premises, I'll go elsewhere. 

On 01/05/2020 at 10:43, Mr. Alli said:

This. 

I won't be wearing one. 

On 01/05/2020 at 12:06, Mr. Alli said:

It's not. If it's made compulsory then I will take myself out of that equation. 

To make it compulsory they'd need to come up with a fairly solid argument for doing so - which they won't. 

On 01/05/2020 at 14:09, Mr. Alli said:

Seems strange anything has to be 'desperate' in this completely hypothetical situation that'll never happtlen, but yet here we are. 

On 01/05/2020 at 15:16, Bairnardo said:

Masks are, if I have it correct, currently a choice. Shops and businesses mandating them are posing a greater danger than someone currently observing all lockdown conditions with no masks IMO.

Mandating them will serve to drag people back to work and businesses will open under the guise of masks offering protection in contradiction with actual science.

They will result in lesser social distancing discipline.

They will result in folk being arseholes.

Right now there is absolutely zero reason to have a go at someone for saying g they dont want to wear a mask and doing so is pure herd mentality.

😂

On 01/05/2020 at 20:26, virginton said:

Masks are quite clearly an alternative to social distancing because both serve the exact same purpose of breaking the chain of transmission. The sooner that people stop believing that the current advice to stay a magical two metre distance from everyone at all times is the benchmark for risk-free activity - never mind a sane or practical long term solution - then the easier it will be for the vast majority of everyday life to go back to near normal. You cannot, for example, teach a standard school class while following current social distancing measures and the classroom space available; switch to compulsory mask use though and you can teach as normal.

Governments require time to fully reverse their messaging on this but masks should be made compulsory within a few weeks, alongside contact tracing, for those who want to enjoy an active working and social life again.

A smart man ^^^^

The articles I read that made me convinced about the importance of masks were

Nassim Taleb on masks - https://medium.com/incerto/the-masks-masquerade-7de897b517b7

Zeynep Tufekci - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/opinion/coronavirus-face-masks.html

If you go back to March anti mask sentiment was rife among very qualified people. What a disaster.

6 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Anti maskers are absolute mentalists who probably spend the rest of the year posting about suspicious chalk marks outside their houses and "eastern European looking" men in vans stealing dogs. Fucking weirdos.

90% of them believe in the existence of Bigfoot, recent studies have shown.

It would be good if this was true about anti maskers but in March, when thousands were being infected, some of whom later died (1000 a day at the peak in April) many people who aren’t moon howlers were denigrating masks. This is a far, far bigger failure than John McGammon moaning about muzzles.

Here are some examples.

From an epidemiologist in March. Note the mask emoji that’s been added to the handle since.

IMG_1114.jpg

Now here’s the British Advertising Standards Agency banning adverts for face masks.

IMG_1115.jpg
IMG_1116.jpg

Here’s a prominent doctor saying don’t wear masks in March

IMG_1117.jpg

Wonder what he said in June.

IMG_1122.jpg

A senior director of the American Psychological Association and clinical psychologist, posts in March that wearing masks is a superstition and people are probably influenced by celebrity Instagram posts - idiots!

IMG_1118.thumb.jpg.02666275cb196d88f0a5e9c5043a142c.jpg

Here she is again in June writing about how to control your anger when, er, you see people not wearing masks.

IMG_1119.thumb.jpg.10573e5aa46a6db4a82b04ec9634c09d.jpg

IMG_1120.thumb.jpg.289e1b8a930a679390a99017f10260f0.jpg

1 hour ago, Falkirk09Bairn said:

Something @Mr. Alli @Trackdaybob and @Bairnardo can’t say. 

I know. Terrible isn't it. 

Being picked up for something I said months ago. Well done. You win. 

Get a life :lol: 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

It would be good if this was true about anti maskers but in March, when thousands were being infected, some of whom later died (1000 a day at the peak in April) many people who aren’t moon howlers were denigrating masks.

At that time there was a global shortage of medical masks, and front line medical staff couldn't get hold of them. If the general public started hoarding them from Ebay at inflated prices it would have been disastrous.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

At that time there was a global shortage of medical masks, and front line medical staff couldn't get hold of them. If the general public started hoarding them from Ebay at inflated prices it would have been disastrous.

Except that the Czech Republic and similar countries that made face coverings mandatory produced enough cloth and other non-medical grade masks within a handful of days. Front line medical staff were not relying on those shitey disposable blue efforts to do their jobs in the first place either, so this but... but... supplies! line was bollocks from the start.

Why you keep persisting with this utter nonsense fully five months after being proven spectacularly wrong is mind-boggling.

46 minutes ago, virginton said:

Except that the Czech Republic and similar countries that made face coverings mandatory produced enough cloth and other non-medical grade masks within a handful of days. Front line medical staff were not relying on those shitey disposable blue efforts to do their jobs in the first place either, so this but... but... supplies! line was bollocks from the start.

Why you keep persisting with this utter nonsense fully five months after being proven spectacularly wrong is mind-boggling.

You have to love the Czech Republic's composure at the time.

Coronavirus: Czech Republic seizes more than 100,000 face masks sent by China to help Italy tackle spread

And this was the message coming out of the WHO.

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/03-03-2020-shortage-of-personal-protective-equipment-endangering-health-workers-worldwide

Edited by welshbairn