League 1 Team of the Year

This is a bit harder than usual because aside from a few stick ons, it feels like you could pick a few here and there from any of Raith/Falkirk/Airdrie/Montrose/East Fife for most positions, with a few wild cards from the bottom half of the league thrown in. I seriously doubt I've ever done one of these where I've selected players from 7 different clubs and no more than 2 from the same club.

GK: Robbie Mutch (Falkirk)

There's a few realistic picks here but I was very impressed with Mutch in the two games I saw of him. Didn't concede a goal in either and although he a had a relatively quiet evening in Falkirk, played a bit of a blinder at Bayview earlier in the season.

RB: Cammy Ballantyne (Montrose)

I think there's a few RBs you could pick and none of them have really stood out to me this season. Ballantyne's been a consistently good player at this level for a while.

CB: Gregor Buchanan (Falkirk)

Not many people opting for Falkirk centre backs but they've conceded the fewest goals in the league and kept three clean sheets against East Fife this season and Buchanan always looked like a big rock at the back in those games.

CB: Chris Higgins (East Fife)

Again, a few you could pick but I think Higgy would complement Buchanan nicely, providing the brains and the class to Buchanan's brawn.

LB: Kieran McDonald (Raith Rovers)

Very difficult to ignore the attacking returns from McDonald this season. His performance in the 5-3 game at Bayview was one of the best attacking performances i've seen from a full back at this level. Steeves from Montrose would also be a very good shout if you were looking for a bit more defensive steel over attack.

MF: Scott Agnew (East Fife)

Probably one of the near stick ons. Offers a big attacking threat, dangerous from set pieces, isn't afraid to get stuck in. Fantastic lower league player.

MF: Reagan Hendry (Raith Rovers)

Again, one that almost every will have. A really classy player at L1 level and, like Agnew, although primarily a play-maker, isn't going to shirk the rougher side of the game.

MF Joe McKee (Dumbarton)

After Agnew and Hendry, it's tough competition for the last midfield spot. Jan's convinced me to go for McKee due to the number of assists he's bagged this season (including three against us). Definitely on of those players where you suspect Dumbarton might have been a hell of a lot closer to a relegation fight without him.

FW: Callum Gallagher (Airdrie)

Maybe controversially nips in ahead of McManus. McManus has scored a lot of goals but hasn't looked that great against East Fife. Gallagher gives us problems every time we face him. 

FW: David Goodwillie (Clyde)

Taking morality out of it, Goodwillie is clearly a step or two above this level and has to be in the team. If he was at Forfar, I've no doubt them and Clyde would switch positions in the league.

FW: Blair Lyons (Montrose)

I remember paying particular attention to him in our first game against Montrose because we'd signed Lewis Hunter from Stirling Uni and Lyons had been with them last season so I was interested to see how good he was. In an otherwise torrid game for Montrose, Lyons was an absolute stand out and he's obviously continued that on through the season.

Edited by Gordon EF

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

This is a bit harder than usual because aside from a few stick ons, it feels like you could pick a few here and there from any of Raith/Falkirk/Airdrie/Montrose/East Fife for most positions, with a few wild cards from the bottom half of the league thrown in. I seriously doubt I've ever done one of these where I've selected players from 7 different clubs and no more than 2 from the same club.

GK: Robbie Mutch (Falkirk)

There's a few realistic picks here but I was very impressed with Mutch in the two games I saw of him. Didn't concede a goal in either and although he a had a relatively quiet evening in Falkirk, played a bit of a blinder at Bayview earlier in the season.

RB: Cammy Ballantyne (Montrose)

I think there's a few RBs you could pick and none of them have really stood out to me this season. Ballantyne's been a consistently good player at this level for a while.

CB: Gregor Buchanan (Falkirk)

Not many people opting for Falkirk centre backs but they've conceded the fewest goals in the league and kept three clean sheets against East Fife this season and Buchanan always looked like a big rock at the back in those games.

CB: Chris Higgins (East Fife)

Again, a few you could pick but I think Higgy would complement Buchanan nicely, providing the brains and the class to Buchanan's brawn.

LB: Kieran McDonald (Raith Rovers)

Very difficult to ignore the attacking returns from McDonald this season. His performance in the 5-3 game at Bayview was one of the best attacking performances i've seen from a full back at this level. Steeves from Montrose would also be a very good shout if you were looking for a bit more defensive steel over attack.

MF: Scott Agnew (East Fife)

Probably one of the near stick ons. Offers a big attacking threat, dangerous from set pieces, isn't afraid to get stuck in. Fantastic lower league player.

MF: Reagan Hendry (Raith Rovers)

Again, one that almost every will have. A really classy player at L1 level and, like Agnew, although primarily a play-maker, isn't going to shirk the rougher side of the game.

MF Joe McKee (Dumbarton)

After Agnew and Hendry, it's tough competition for the last midfield spot. Jan's convinced me to go for McKee due to the number of assists he's bagged this season (including three against us). Definitely on of those players where you suspect Dumbarton might have been a hell of a lot closer to a relegation fight without him.

FW: Callum Gallagher (Airdrie)

Maybe controversially nips in ahead of McManus. McManus has scored a lot of goals but hasn't looked that great against East Fife. Gallagher gives us problems every time we face him. 

FW: David Goodwillie (Clyde)

Taking morality out of it, Goodwillie is clearly a step or two above this level and has to be in the team. If he was at Forfar, I've no doubt them and Clyde would switch positions in the league.

FW: Blair Lyons (Montrose)

I remember paying particular attention to him in our first game against Montrose because we'd signed Lewis Hunter from Stirling Uni and Lyons had been with them last season so I was interested to see how good he was. In an otherwise torrid game for Montrose, Lyons was an absolute stand out and he's obviously continued that on through the season.

Would probably go with McCallum in goal, but not sure if it’s an artifact of his busy role, given his (relatively) poor goals per game conceded. Mutch isn’t far of the pace if he is not the best.

At CB, there are several choices for the hard hitter, could easily be Benedictus for Buchanan. Higgins is a nice choice for balance.

In the middle, Gomis isn’t a contender for me simply because he only has about 60 minutes in him now...otherwise, he can be a monster. Haven’t seen enough of McKee to judge.

Agree that Gallagher and McManus are neck and neck.

Can't say much more then what others have said but mine if anyone cares is.

GK: McCallum (forfar)
Lb: Mcdonald (Raith)
Rb: Dunsy (effc)
CB: Higgins (effc)
CB: Davidson (Raith)
CM: Agnew (effc)
CM: Gomis (Falkirk)
CM: Hendry (Raith)
Att: Lyons (Montrose)
Att: Goodwillie (Clyde)
Att: McManus (Falkirk)

Notable mention for the wee guy Tait at Raith who I wanted to get into it but he's not pushing any of the others out unfortunately. If I was Hibs or hearts I would 1000000% be spending what Fulham paid for Bowie to bring him in. Class talent at 17!

Can't say much more then what others have said but mine if anyone cares is.

GK: McCallum (forfar)
Lb: Mcdonald (Raith)
Rb: Dunsy (effc)
CB: Higgins (effc)
CB: Davidson (Raith)
CM: Agnew (effc)
CM: Gomis (Falkirk)
CM: Hendry (Raith)
Att: Lyons (Montrose)
Att: Goodwillie (Clyde)
Att: McManus (Falkirk)

Notable mention for the wee guy Tait at Raith who I wanted to get into it but he's not pushing any of the others out unfortunately. If I was Hibs or hearts I would 1000000% be spending what Fulham paid for Bowie to bring him in. Class talent at 17!

Tait’s going for a lot more than Bowie did. Bowie went for £150K with no honours to his name.

Tait now has a league winners medal and is a far better talent than Bowie is anyway

34 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Would probably go with McCallum in goal, but not sure if it’s an artifact of his busy role, given his (relatively) poor goals per game conceded. Mutch isn’t far of the pace if he is not the best.

At CB, there are several choices for the hard hitter, could easily be Benedictus for Buchanan. Higgins is a nice choice for balance.

In the middle, Gomis isn’t a contender for me simply because he only has about 60 minutes in him now...otherwise, he can be a monster. Haven’t seen enough of McKee to judge.

Agree that Gallagher and McManus are neck and neck.

Yeah, some of this is also down to which particular games you see. For some reason I've missed every game against Forfar this year so Mutch gets in ahead of McCallum. And given that we scored 8 goals against Raith vs 0 against Falkirk, Buchanan's always going to get the nod over Raith defenders for me.

Agree on Gomis, he's a very tidy and classy player. Potentially a bit of a luxury in beside Agnew and Hendry though.

Was at the raith v falkirk game just before the shut down, good to see a game as a neutral. Thought Mutch looked good with his feet, you need that as a keeper in the modern game, etc etc. Unfortunately didn't think of his handling that night! 

Also can't believe Crighton of Airdrie isn't getting much of a mention, but as said previously there's probably 4/5 in each position you could pick

Tait’s going for a lot more than Bowie did. Bowie went for £150K with no honours to his name.

Tait now has a league winners medal and is a far better talent than Bowie is anyway
Yeah said that to my rovers mates. Tait is a frighteningly good looking prospect and no disrespect but he will surely be off rapid to continue the development. He keeps it up he's a future international.

1 hour ago, sirscottyoung said:
4 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Yeah said that to my rovers mates. Tait is a frighteningly good looking prospect and no disrespect but he will surely be off rapid to continue the development. He keeps it up he's a future international.

Certainly looks like he's got the ability to move above our level maybe we'll be lucky and get another season out of him but I think you're right that he'll move onto bigger and better things than us.  His next move will obviously be key to his development i'd rather see him try himself outside of Scotland if he gets that chance.  I guess wherever he goes we just have to make sure we've got him signed up and try to get clauses in any contract for sell on or appearance at higher levels.  Accies have done well through these type of deals and at our level I think every club needs to look at the same type of contracts in the hope we have a James McCarthy or James McArthur in our youth.  

I don't notice enough of opposition players to do a full 11. 

Falkirks defence was easily the best in the league. I'd have McDonald in at Left Back but was impressed with them. 

Goodwillie was unplayable in the 2-2 game at Broadwood (which was probably the most exciting game of the season for me). Only player to make Steven Anderson look uncomfortable. 

The big number 15 at EF always caused us problems, looks a handy player and I've always been a fan of Wallace. Mcmanus will score goals for fun at this level also. 

Some really good players at this level. Was always impressed with Montrose but can't think of anyone who really stood out. Just thought they were a really well organised team.  

Airdrie on the other hand were a bizarre side to watch. They played every game like they were 1-0 down with 10 mins to go. 

Hendry has been a joy to watch and it will be interesting to see how he gets on at Championship level as he's too good for League 1. Bowie has been fantastic for his age, but I think 150k is a cracking deal for us and I think Dylan Tait is certainly a better player. 

Edited by CALDERON

In a 4-4-2

GK McCallum ( although he let us back into the game at Forfar) -maybe much better last season, so Mutch could oust him

RB Cammy Ballantyne

CB1 Callum Fordyce ( much more solid than Sean Crighton  but he does not score goals like Sean (Cup game)

CB2 Gregor Buchanan -quick and composed

LB      Andrew Steeves 

RM       Blair Lyons 

CM1    Reagan Henry

CM2    Scott Agnew'

LM        Keiran Mcdonald ( I for one did not want him to go and he is better attacker)

CF1     David Goodwillie

CF2    Declan McManus

If it was 3-5-2 I would bring in Higgins and "drop" Steeves. The subs are so many choices I will leave it now.

The only ones that I'd say are certainties in their positions are MacDonald at left-back and Goodwillie up front.

MacDonald was never that popular with Airdrie fans for some reason but he always did a decent job surrounded by some quite shambolic footballers, I'm sure he won Players' Player of the Year one year which says it all. Sounds like he has been excellent this season.

Goodwillie is a class above, not really a debate there.

For goalies, McCallum has looked good but I agree with someone else's comment that sometimes as a goalie you get more opportunity to look good in a rubbish team and your mistakes don't stand out as much. Still, you can only really judge them on what they've done so I'd probably have him.

In other positions there are so many you could pick which is a reflection of the tightness of the league. Even with Airdrie some weeks Gallagher, Carrick and Smith were superb and I'd have taken those 3 over any, then other weeks they were anonymous.

13 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Even with Airdrie some weeks Gallagher, Carrick and Smith were superb and I'd have taken those 3 over any, then other weeks they were anonymous.

Airdrie were by some distance the most erratic side we faced this season, although I'd imagine Airdrie might also think the same about us.

Utterly dreadful in the first game, sublime in the second and average in the third.

GK - Marc McCallum
RB - Michael Miller
CB - Gregor Buchanan
CB - Callum Fordyce
LB - Kieran MacDonald
CM - Scott Agnew
CM - Regan Hendry
CM - Brad Spencer
ST - Declan McManus
ST - David Badwillie
ST - Dale Carrick
Honourable mentions to Issac Layne, Blair Lyons, Louis Longridge, Cammy Ballantyne and Robbie Mutch.

50 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The only ones that I'd say are certainties in their positions are MacDonald at left-back and Goodwillie up front.

MacDonald was never that popular with Airdrie fans for some reason but he always did a decent job surrounded by some quite shambolic footballers, I'm sure he won Players' Player of the Year one year which says it all. Sounds like he has been excellent this season.

Goodwillie is a class above, not really a debate there.

For goalies, McCallum has looked good but I agree with someone else's comment that sometimes as a goalie you get more opportunity to look good in a rubbish team and your mistakes don't stand out as much. Still, you can only really judge them on what they've done so I'd probably have him.

In other positions there are so many you could pick which is a reflection of the tightness of the league. Even with Airdrie some weeks Gallagher, Carrick and Smith were superb and I'd have taken those 3 over any, then other weeks they were anonymous.

I'd agree with this, though I'd add Regan Hendry into the midfield as a certainty. The guy has been phenomenal, and his passing and vision has helped us hugely. It's helped that this season, he's had as good a midfield duo you could ask for at this level in Spencer (again, fantastic in terms of passing but also willing to get stuck in) and Matthews (who is a top tier shithouser). 

A lot of questions were asked when it came out that we'd paid money for MacDonald. A few Airdrie fans on twitter commented that his deliveries into the box were awful, but it's been the complete opposite for us as he's picked up plenty of assists along with a few goals. At 26 I'm interesting to see how he develops and handles the Championship: it wouldn't surprise me if McGlynn has a similar effect on him as he did with Dougie Hill. 

McCallum is a weird one. He gets hyped up a lot at this level, and does pull off the spectacular, but he's also made a fair few howlers against us in the last few seasons. 

On 01/05/2020 at 22:47, Chapelhall chap said:

In a 4-4-2

GK McCallum ( although he let us back into the game at Forfar) -maybe much better last season, so Mutch could oust him

RB Cammy Ballantyne

CB1 Callum Fordyce ( much more solid than Sean Crighton  but he does not score goals like Sean (Cup game)

CB2 Gregor Buchanan -quick and composed

LB      Andrew Steeves 

RM       Blair Lyons 

CM1    Reagan Henry

CM2    Scott Agnew'

LM        Keiran Mcdonald ( I for one did not want him to go and he is better attacker)

CF1     David Goodwillie

CF2    Declan McManus

If it was 3-5-2 I would bring in Higgins and "drop" Steeves. The subs are so many choices I will leave it now.

Good to see Andy Steeves getting a mention. We are lucky to have two great full backs at Montrose but for me, Steeves is the pick of the pair.
Blair Lyons also getting all the plaudits and well deserved but our best performer (in my humble opinion) has been Graham Webster. 
9 goals and 10 assists has been a great return for us and he has been consistantly good all season. He might just sneak our POTY ahead of Blair.
He certainly got my vote.