Assassin's Creed - Valhalla

stumigoo

• 2 weeks later...

Have sunk in over 20 hours now and it's my favourite game in a long time. 

The thing with AC is once they decided to go fully RPG they were shite, clunky, totally lifeless maps and generic type missions, they really didnt know what they were doing, was it really an RPG or was it just a story mode with a huge exploitative map? 

But now on next gen and having had the time to tweak the little failures they've made a really enjoyable RPG, building your settlement up by raiding, innovative missions and quirky side missions rather than Odyssey's slay bandits in ever single scenario type of quests, some really cool and immersive visuals. Best game since Red Dead 2 for me. 

Just had a little break in the immersion there..

Of course as the game is free roam when I enter a new region I like to pretty much scope it out and do a lot of the smaller stuff, one of the things you can do is raid places, I raided this relativley small spot and forgot about it, started doing the story mode section for this region and I had to raid the place I already had, obviously when I went back everyone was dead and there was no loot, I had to call in the raiders and then the game just completed the mission the second they arrived. I don't like the mix between free roam and story when it means that shit happens. 

Just had a little break in the immersion there..
Of course as the game is free roam when I enter a new region I like to pretty much scope it out and do a lot of the smaller stuff, one of the things you can do is raid places, I raided this relativley small spot and forgot about it, started doing the story mode section for this region and I had to raid the place I already had, obviously when I went back everyone was dead and there was no loot, I had to call in the raiders and then the game just completed the mission the second they arrived. I don't like the mix between free roam and story when it means that shit happens. 

Have done this a few times. Raiding a settlement for a quest when I slaughtered the lot of them minutes before.

As much as I loved Oddysey, I agree that it went a bit too RPG to the detriment of a coherent story which was all over the place. This seems to have redressed the balance and I'm very much enjoying it. 35 hours in and probably way off completing it.

High expectations for the dlc also as Oddysey set a very high bar for them with the Greek realms. Although obviously Valhalla has already incorporated them into the main story.

14 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Have done this a few times. Raiding a settlement for a quest when I slaughtered the lot of them minutes before.

As much as I loved Oddysey, I agree that it went a bit too RPG to the detriment of a coherent story which was all over the place. This seems to have redressed the balance and I'm very much enjoying it. 35 hours in and probably way off completing it.

High expectations for the dlc also as Oddysey set a very high bar for them with the Greek realms. Although obviously Valhalla has already incorporated them into the main story.

Yeah I'm about the same time now. Just completed East Anglia. Apparantly the DLC for this will be Ireland and France which should be awesome if done correctly. 

What level settlement do you have at the moment? 

Only thing putting me off buying the season pass for this is that it’s the same team that did AC: Origins and the DLC for it wasn’t up to much, although apparently it’s different studios doing both dlc’s so going to wait and see.

Yeah I'm about the same time now. Just completed East Anglia. Apparantly the DLC for this will be Ireland and France which should be awesome if done correctly. 
What level settlement do you have at the moment? 

Either just under 5 or just over. Can't remember. The daft houses get dead expensive and don't add much for you so I've not done much with them. Most of the raids I can do just now are a bit beyond my power level.

Only thing putting me off buying the season pass for this is that it’s the same team that did AC: Origins and the DLC for it wasn’t up to much, although apparently it’s different studios doing both dlc’s so going to wait and see.

Yeah origins dlc just seemed like an after thought. Oddysey was as good as any I've played. I squeezed some amount of hours our of the Atlantis one. Amazing world design too and really had a lot of effort put into making it, whereas the new areas in Origins didn't look much different from everywhere else.

6 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Yeah origins dlc just seemed like an after thought. Oddysey was as good as any I've played. I squeezed some amount of hours our of the Atlantis one. Amazing world design too and really had a lot of effort put into making it, whereas the new areas in Origins didn't look much different from everywhere else.

Yeah between the two dlc campaigns and getting AC3/AC Liberation remaster free it really was a ridiculous amount of content  with the Odyssey season pass.

I bought that Immortals: Fenyx Rising as it's made by the Odyssey developer studio but not had a chance to play much yet.

10 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Either just under 5 or just over. Can't remember. The daft houses get dead expensive and don't add much for you so I've not done much with them. Most of the raids I can do just now are a bit beyond my power level.

Not bad, I'm presuming then you've built the Seer a house and done the subsequent mission? 

I am absolutely heartbroken and devastated. 

I'm going to try and do this with no spoilers, basically, I've sunk 40 hours into the game at this point, there has been one moment where shagging was an option and it was when a guy asked if I was interested, I said no. 

The whole time playing I've had my seedy little eye on one character who I think would suit my main man Eivor, anyway she is a relativley minor NPC so I didn't think there would be an option to go with her so last week another more important character asked if Eivor wanted to roll around in the hay and as I like to get immersive I liked to imagine Eivor was in need of his hole (I've watched Vikings, they're shagging aw the time) and he has been an incel this whole playthrough other than the time someone presumed he was homosexual so i thought, aye even if it's not true love he would go for it..

Fast forward to this moment in time where I'm playing the game, I arrive at my settlement and said NPC bird I mentioned before confesses her love for me, says she's always felt that way (I have too) I want to respond accordingly but the game doesn't allow dirty dog Eivor to get away with his sordid deeds, the only two options I get are friend zone her or confess I love the other bird (the one I dont like) 

It's an absolute shambles of a playthrough, I want to quit and load up a save file before I let my virtual character think with his penis before his brain but I'd have to replay like 5 hours of work so it's not worth it in the end. 

What is love?

On 19/01/2021 at 19:38, Stormzy said:

I am absolutely heartbroken and devastated. 

I'm going to try and do this with no spoilers, basically, I've sunk 40 hours into the game at this point, there has been one moment where shagging was an option and it was when a guy asked if I was interested, I said no. 

The whole time playing I've had my seedy little eye on one character who I think would suit my main man Eivor, anyway she is a relativley minor NPC so I didn't think there would be an option to go with her so last week another more important character asked if Eivor wanted to roll around in the hay and as I like to get immersive I liked to imagine Eivor was in need of his hole (I've watched Vikings, they're shagging aw the time) and he has been an incel this whole playthrough other than the time someone presumed he was homosexual so i thought, aye even if it's not true love he would go for it..

Fast forward to this moment in time where I'm playing the game, I arrive at my settlement and said NPC bird I mentioned before confesses her love for me, says she's always felt that way (I have too) I want to respond accordingly but the game doesn't allow dirty dog Eivor to get away with his sordid deeds, the only two options I get are friend zone her or confess I love the other bird (the one I dont like) 

It's an absolute shambles of a playthrough, I want to quit and load up a save file before I let my virtual character think with his penis before his brain but I'd have to replay like 5 hours of work so it's not worth it in the end. 

What is love?

Exciting update. 

I went and did some more missions (55 hours playthrough, fucking hell I love working from home) came back to the settlement and spoke to my bird (begrudgingly) it gave me the option to shag, kiss or miraculously break up with her....

I did a hard save and then naturally shagged her and dumped her, went to the NPC and it allowed me to tell her I was now available so naturally i shagged her too and she is now my bird. Bit awkward considering there was less than 5 in game minutes between my character moving on, the real sleazy part is how you shag your new bird in the same building as the old one and she deffo would have seen it considering she stands with a view of your bedroom, I'm hoping the old ting doesn't kill my new NPC bird.

In conclusion my dirty dog antics played off well, for now..

I'm 55 hours in and still way off completing the story I reckon. Always end up sidetracked or going off on an adventure. Took a wander up to Hadrian's Wall and left before realising I could get a trophy for lighting the braziers.

Big improvement on Oddysey in the storytelling aspect, although the dialogue remains iffy at points. Plus the whole idea of Eivor strutting into a town where nobody knows him, murdering all their nobles and then they thank him for it, seems odd. He also seemed to get on board with the whole slaughtering the Order of the Ancients without knowing anything about them, but hey ho, the game is class.

• 3 weeks later...
Just finished it half an hour ago. The ending is... underwhelming?

I finished what I think was the story yesterday then finished Hamtunscire and it does indeed feel like I've finished.

Agree with your assessment. Wasn't really clear that it was finished to be honest. Annoyed that it's very clear who the head Order guy is though as you can clearly see him in his silhouette on the pause menu.

Love the game and it has taken me 88 hours to get to this point, but yeah, a underwhelming end mixed with some mad cosmic stuff that I don't fully understand.

Edit - Actually, 2 hours later. I think I have now finished the story, minus the last few order guys because I cannot win that fuckin dice game.

3 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

I finished what I think was the story yesterday then finished Hamtunscire and it does indeed feel like I've finished.

Agree with your assessment. Wasn't really clear that it was finished to be honest. Annoyed that it's very clear who the head Order guy is though as you can clearly see him in his silhouette on the pause menu.

Love the game and it has taken me 88 hours to get to this point, but yeah, a underwhelming end mixed with some mad cosmic stuff that I don't fully understand.

Edit - Actually, 2 hours later. I think I have now finished the story, minus the last few order guys because I cannot win that fuckin dice game.

Aye, I’m no expecting some Hollywood production or something,  but it needs to be better than that.

Without spoilers what should I do to get to the ending? 

I've got the Asgard trippy mission still to do because I cba with that, I've got a few regions still to do, I've just returned Sigurd from captivity and he's just wandering around the settlement looking lost. Don't know if I should crack on with Asgard, Regions or go through the Order list? 

Does it matter what order I do it in?