PAW NOM NOM

Cats are natural grubbers - ours seem to have very different tastes in human food though. Jake the big Maine Coon appears to have a sweet tooth and loves anything dairy-based, while Woody the wee black shorthair lives for pizza crusts and Walkers cheese & onion - he'll turn his nose up at any other brand and give you that look along the lines of "What you buying this shite for?"

Edited by Hillonearth

5 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

In a couple of weeks? What happens to it meantime?

Also, I have never known anyone to feed their dog these things. Where do you live? Alaska?

It needs a couple of weeks in the freezer to ensure any nasties such as parasites are pan bread. 

There are a fair few folk that feed their dogs on a raw meat diet in the UK and elsewhere. A raw diet can include whole animals like squirrels, rabbits and birds or pre-made raw mixtures from pet shops. Some folk mix it up but others use one or the other.

I mostly buy stuff from an online supplier. My dogs won't turn their noses up at road kill but I tend to only pick that up if I can be sure how fresh it is. 

I also go to supermarkets and buy up all the mackerel and sprat that gets reduced to 14p. Also get the duck/chicken carcasses that have had the breast, wings and legs removed. Even managed to get a couple of sheep skeletons from an abattoir once. The dogs love it.

20190511_101743.jpg

1 hour ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

As someone who just got their first dog why would I do that? Genuine question.

Only my opinion but a balanced diet consisting of fresh food can only be better than a diet that's been highly processed. Given the sheer number of suppliers selling balanced raw dog food we decided to give it a go 5 or so years ago. Have a look at the website allaboutdogfood to see just how bad the leading brands of dry food are and the so-called "prescription" diets are often just as bad. Dry food is a relatively recent invention and the largest dog longevity study conducted in recent years shows dogs aren't living as long as they were in the early 2000's. I've also found that my dogs are costing me less to feed and keep healthy. Their breath isn't as awful, their coats are in much better nick and they aren't shedding nearly as much as they used to and my girl has never needed any dental treatment despite being 11 years old now.

It might not be for you but I certainly wouldn't be quick to dismiss the idea. Did find we had to buy a new separate freezer though.