Things that will be different after the lockdown

20 hours ago, paranoid android said:

With all the emphasis on hand-hygiene, surely greeting people with handshakes will be a thing of the past? Tb be replaced with fist-bumps - or is that still iffy?

I was watching someone on YT earlier discussing plans to re-open theme parks etc in the medium term with 1/3 or even 1/4 capacity and as long as every surface is wiped down constantly and this struck me as an absolute load of shite. All the social distancing in the world isn't going to make a blind bit of difference in places like this.

A handshake isn't going to transmit a virus any more or less than an infected hand touching a metal or plastic surface outside.

I don't mean this specifically to COVID-19 but the outside world, particularly where there are large gatherings of people, is a fucking bogging place. If you stopped and thought about it, you'd never touch an outside surface again. Handrails, doors, barriers etc. The human body, though, is pretty adept at not letting a lot of potentially harmful bacteria and germs actually do any significant harm.

The outcome of this is not going to be a world where someone is following you about with a dettol wipe, cleaning down every surface that every person touches. You cannot keep the entire surface of the planet sterilised as an ongoing concern.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is another very brief health crisis following the COVID-19 pandemic where a large percentage of the population, so used to wearing facemasks, gloves and antibacing everything for 12-18 months, get floored with the shits and vomiting bugs for a couple of weeks as their immune systems readapt to non-sterility.

Either way, I'm sure physical human contact will not become a thing of the past as there are a whole host of other ways to pick illnesses up that don't involve physically touching another human. And although the correct etiquette for the times we a currently living in, more worrying is the moon howlers who will still be trying to enforce the 6ft rule in 2 or 3 years time when this is firmly in the past.

11 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Proving you can work successfully at home and getting employers to accept that as the norm are two entirely different things !

Sadly this is true.

On 29/04/2020 at 10:26, ICTChris said:

I'd hope that the lockdown causes people to appreciate green spaces more in towns and cities.  Having a wee boy we go to parks quite a lot and the way people leave them is a disgrace - dog dirt everywhere, litter, vandalism, broken glass on paths.  It's extremely depressing to see the number of selfish idiots who cause these problems.  

I absolutely agree. I also hope, however, that it is teaching people to appreciate those among us whose work combines to make our society run.

All those workers - NHS, Prison, Police, Public Transport, Education, Supermarkets, and all the rest from binmen to carers- all of them (alright, us) deserve the thanks of the nation.

I would especially hope that enough people make the connection that all these jobs - some of which have a requirement for a degree level education - would be classed as "low skilled" underPriti Patel's immigration plans.

Never mind clapping the NHS - get angry, start holding these cúnts to account and work for a Government which will appreciate its people, not watch them die because saving them isn't cost-effective.

I haven't missed the football that much, I really don't care that they're running out of Coronation Street and Eastenders, I've got refunds for my gig tickets - but if our bins hadn't been emptied, if I hadn't been able to get food for the family, if my sister hadn't been dealt with swiftly and professionally when being assessed for Cancer treatment (Thanks NHS Scotland), if my 16-year-old wasn't still being taught and assessed from distance, if my wife's Aunt's carer hadn't come in her own time to show her how to use FaceTime.. well. life would be a lot harder.

I'd be very surprised if air travel ever returns to 2019 levels, a perfect storm of fear, economic woes + airline cost cutting and scaling back means much less travel which in turn means more reduction in serives.  Also business will have discovered now that they can do 75 % of their requirements via skype and they will have no need to send staff on expensive jollies abroad. 

the last 10 years have been a golden age of direct flights from Scottish airports.  I can remember having to go to Manchester just to go to fecking Tenerife in late march as recently as 2003 and long haul was only through London.  going back to do that will probably put even more people off on top of everything else already mentioned.    St abbs it is then

36 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I'd be very surprised if air travel ever returns to 2019 levels, a perfect storm of fear, economic woes + airline cost cutting and scaling back means much less travel which in turn means more reduction in serives.  Also business will have discovered now that they can do 75 % of their requirements via skype and they will have no need to send staff on expensive jollies abroad. 

the last 10 years have been a golden age of direct flights from Scottish airports.  I can remember having to go to Manchester just to go to fecking Tenerife in late march as recently as 2003 and long haul was only through London.  going back to do that will probably put even more people off on top of everything else already mentioned.    St abbs it is then

In five years time air travel will be significantly higher than it was before this crisis.  Significantly higher.

Edited by Granny Danger

Just now, Tynierose said:

At least today you have achieved a heightened knowledge of the spheres.

Google said it’s where Ann Budge’s league reconstruction proposals will end up.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

In five years time air travel will be significantly higher than it was before this crisis.  Significantly higher.

Why do you think that?  at the moment I can't see it but the phrase money always finds a way springs to mind

Just now, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Why do you think that?  at the moment I can't see it but the phrase money always finds a way springs to mind

People want to travel to different places.  It’s really as simple as that.

I’m often amazed by the number of people from ‘poor’ and ‘developing’ countries who fly to other countries.  Even people doing it for work, including those who complain about ‘travelling’ will want to do it again when they can.

If I’m wrong feel free to red dot this post in five years time.

5 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Fair enough.  She made a c**t of it without a doubt, people appreciate honesty, only a cretin would have failed to see her alterior motives on this one.

Off topic.  Do people appreciate honesty?

Some/many/most folk like to hear what they want to hear.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

This reminds me: Coronavirus will hasten the demise of cash

In fairness it was on a downward projectors anyway.  I think it is an age related thing, many old folk still like cash.

and drug dealers too.

Guest JTS98

Cash isn't just an age thing. There needs to be a lot more done for the poorest people in society regarding access to banking and the internet in general before we can just say we're not using cash any more.