Club song original melody

Nothing came up when I searched for 'club songs' so hope this one hasn't been done before... 

So your club has a song or chant, maybe more than one. Disregarding the particular lyrics, any idea where the melody comes from? Seems that quite a few are based on songs from musicals or pieces of classical/orchestral music. 

Couple of examples. Aberdeen's Stand Free uses Aaron Copland's Appallachian Spring Theme (better known to many as Lord of the Dance).

Montrose's Dynamo uses the tune of O Tannenbaum, an occasional Christmas standard.

And Hello Hello is based on a folk song written during the US Civil War, Marching Through Georgia. 

Anybody got examples of club songs or chants that borrow interesting melodies from other sources? 

Glory Glory to the Hibees is to the tune of The Battle Hymn of the Republic or John Brown's body (lies a mouldering in the grave like his team, ha ha).

My mate's dad had the original 45 record which came out in the 1960s IIRC. It had the Hearts song on one side and the Hibs song on the other. I think Hector Nicol sang both.

14 hours ago, Utter Roaster said:

Nothing came up when I searched for 'club songs' so hope this one hasn't been done before... 

So your club has a song or chant, maybe more than one. Disregarding the particular lyrics, any idea where the melody comes from? Seems that quite a few are based on songs from musicals or pieces of classical/orchestral music. 

Couple of examples. Aberdeen's Stand Free uses Aaron Copland's Appallachian Spring Theme (better known to many as Lord of the Dance).

Montrose's Dynamo uses the tune of O Tannenbaum, an occasional Christmas standard.

And Hello Hello is based on a folk song written during the US Civil War, Marching Through Georgia. 

Anybody got examples of club songs or chants that borrow interesting melodies from other sources? 

Off the ball did a show about this a few months back was quite interesting.

3 hours ago, HooseLee said:

Not sure if it's all or just part of the hearts song that comes from a hymn  I know that the  this is my story bit does.   I'm sure the hibs song comes from an old nursery rhyme about having shit on your shoe.  

According to a Hearts forum it's a combination of these two songs - 

Not a chant/crowd song but Dundee's Up Wi' the Bonnets was based on a song which in turn was based on an old poem by Walter Scott in 1825.

There's a few other examples I've come across by chance in the past, will have to track them back down. Good thread :)

Johnny Cash sung the Hearts song

The Championeeees song seems to be a traditional Dutch song ‘Orange Bovrn’. They sung it to Michael Caine when he liberated Eindhoven.

A good percentage of our football chants seem to find their origins in the US Civil War strangely enough...

Not knowing the origins of the song I was both shocked and bemused when I first watched Smokey and the Bandit. As the Bandit races to his final goal up came the tune of the Billy Boys...