Scottish championship team of the year /BBC picker

I don't see him as the best, he's one of the top three candidates for the position. The Inverness defence has always been rock solid against us this season and he's played a part in that. 
Truthfully I think it's between Harvie and Martin however I could, and do understand why Inverness fans rate Tremarco as being up there. 
No full backs from a team that constantly bemoan about getting fucked by crosses, thank you. 
I never suggested Holt or Marshall should be in the team of the year but they are both fine at this level (and that's from someone who thinks Marshall is over-rated). To say they are both terrible but nominate Tremarco as candidate suggest is mental.

9 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Starting with a typical Dundee Utd XI and working backwards asking if there have been obviously better players in any of their positions is actually a pretty reasonable way of doing it considering they won the league at a canter, but when you do so there's not a chance you only get three players from other clubs.

McCrorie was obviously the best goalkeeper in the division, and even after he left and the next best options were varying degrees of average rather than being great Siegrist's still not the best of them.

Smith is comfortably the best right.

Reynolds and Watson - bang average like most in the division, McCart and O'Brien comfortably the best of them for me.

Robson shouldn't even be in the conversation for the top five left backs in the division. Harvie, Strapp, Tremarco, Martin, Holt and Marshall are all definitely better players, despite the latter two in particular having their own flaws.

Butcher and Harkes - There's no one obviously better in the sea of averageness across central midfields in this division so couldn't argue with anyone including them. As an aside though, Powers would surely be a strong contender for a worst XI.

McMullan and Appere - Doran, Cadden, Dow and Forrest are better than Appere, and there are others better than McMullan.

Shankland clearly has to be there, and it has to be Nisbet with him.

Actually this is a pretty valid post and whilst I dont agree with all your selections its entirely reasonable in its theory.(notwithstanding this bizarre notion thats suddenly appeared that either Holt or Marshall are significantly flawed).

9 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I think McMullan is actually reasonably underrated at this level, when he's on form and playing well he's an absolute nightmare and in turn it brings Shankland up a level. 

Inconsistent like any winger at this level but when he is on form and at his best I think he's the best winger in the division. 

Dom Thomas, Dow and Kiltie for us we're all good at points out wide, Cadden had a good season at Morton and I still reckon Nesbit is a player, Forrest done well for Ayr and Faiss was good for QoTS aswell apparently, see that Declan McDaid got a Poty award at Dundee aswell. I've absolutely forgot someome aswell. 

Certain positions are quite good in this league, in others it's pretty grim though. 

This too is pretty accurate.

McMullan has at times terrorised us although he does tend, even more than most wingers, to be brilliant or awful with little in between. 

I would take Thomas or Kiltie over him every time but neither probably played enough games this season to get in. 

Cadden had a terrific game at Palmerston. I didnt make either if our games at Cappielow and hadnt previously been impressed in his time at Ayr.

I agree about positions too. I posted already I think the strength of left backs in this division is terrific. There are 5 or 6 really good ones. Right backs on the other hand are pretty weak, Smith apart. Keepers arent great. McCrorie was the best I saw and he left in January. Ridgers, Siegrist and Doohan are all decent but not outstanding. 

Centre backs havent massive depth either. Tend to agree McCart and O'Brien were best but there wasnt that much to beat.

Central midfield was really weak acriss the league. Widemen ok. Strikers I suppose have been good. Shankland played international football from the division, Nisbet attracted bids of approaching £0.5m apparently. I think Nicky Clark is under-appreciated. Dobbie had a much quieter season than last year's record breaking one but he can still win games on his own at times. Kevin O'Hara came in from the cold for a really good season and probably kept Alloa up. Keatings is still decent too. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
8 hours ago, Grant228 said:
I don't see him as the best, he's one of the top three candidates for the position. The Inverness defence has always been rock solid against us this season and he's played a part in that. 
Truthfully I think it's between Harvie and Martin however I could, and do understand why Inverness fans rate Tremarco as being up there. 
No full backs from a team that constantly bemoan about getting fucked by crosses, thank you. 

I never suggested Holt or Marshall should be in the team of the year but they are both fine at this level (and that's from someone who thinks Marshall is over-rated). To say they are both terrible but nominate Tremarco as candidate suggest is mental.

Really? 

Rarely a week went by without you lamenting how absolutely shite you were at defending crosses, a full back has a pretty vital role in that, either defending the initial cross or communicating to his centre backs what's about to occur so they can defend it better. So you saying Holt is fine at this level, while thinking Marshall is in turn overrated to that is fucking mental. 

So aye, I'll give Carl Tremarco his dues and in the limited time I've seen him he's done well, the Inverness defence has been well marshaled and he's undoubtedly played a part in that. 

Meanwhile you can continue wanking of Scott Mercer and Kevin Holt, while staring at the ceiling at night wondering why you are fucking gubbins at defending from the wide areas. 

Holt and Marshall are at best average championship level left backs, Tremarco was previously a Premiership level left back while Harvie and Martin could potentially be good ones in the future, possibly not with there respective clubs. 

Edited by Grant228

6 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Really? 

Rarely a week went by without you lamenting how absolutely shite you were at defending crosses, a full back has a pretty vital role in that, either defending the initial cross or communicating to his centre backs what's about to occur so they can defend it better. So you saying Holt is fine at this level, while thinking Marshall is in turn overrated to that is fucking mental. 

So aye, I'll give Carl Tremarco his dues and in the limited time I've seen him he's done well, the Inverness defence has been well marshaled and he's undoubtedly played a part in that. 

Meanwhile you can continue wanking of Scott Mercer and Kevin Holt, while staring at the ceiling at night wondering why you are fucking gubbins at defending from the wide areas. 

Holt and Marshall are at best average championship level left backs, Tremarco was previously a Premiership level left back while Harvie and Martin could potentially be good ones in the future, possibly not with there respective clubs. 

Just to state the bleeding obvious, Kevin Holt spent 3 years as a Premiership level full back. You cant use that as a justification for Tremarco being better. You can think he is better if you like of course but thats not proof of it.

The rather crucial difference being the fact that one dropped back to playing for seaside league standard dung at the supposed 'prime' of his career, while the other stepped down from the top flight at about 40 and with a Scottish Cup medal too. One was a genuine Premiership level full back; the other is not and never has been. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

McMullan is one of the most dangerous players in the league once every 10 games.

Never seen a boy run/kick it straight off the field so often.

An absolute imposter.

Seem to recall him hitting a streak of form during one of Dundee United's playoff campaigns, which led people who only really watch games on BT to think that the Championship had the next Griezmann within its ranks. A gutless sand-dancer. 

Really? 

Well that escalated quickly. You're all over the place once again. You have a go at me for saying Holt and Marshall are fine at this level then proceed to lay into them. Then you finally agree with me that they are indeed average at this level. Make your mind up. You've went from saying they "stink out their position" to now saying they are average.

I really don't care if Tremarco has a Champions League medal, it's completely irrelevant to the discussion of who's the best LB in the division. An ageing LB who's looked shite against an even shiter QoS side isn't the best one.

The fact you started laying into Holt and Marshall in the first place is bizarre in itself given no one had nominated them for the position in the entire thread. They were only mentioned by D'Jaffo when he said in his opinion they (along with others) were better than Utd's LB, even then he never said they were the best.

Paul Burns really must have upset you [emoji38]

Guest Flash
10 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Tremarco had the cigars out against QOS in the last game before the season was ended. 

Everybody has had the cigars out against us since the turn of the year.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The rather crucial difference being the fact that one dropped back to playing for seaside league standard dung at the supposed 'prime' of his career, while the other stepped down from the top flight at about 40 and with a Scottish Cup medal too. One was a genuine Premiership level full back; the other is not and never has been. 

He actually moved to Cyprus to play there , he didnt come directly here (although I suppose it doesnt really get much more 'seaside league' than Cyprus!). For a 'never has been' premiership level full back he has almost 100 games at that level and, unlike Tremarco, didnt get relegated from it. 

At the end of the day, people can think there are half a dozen better left backs in this division than Kevin Holt if they want, its a strong position for the division. The recent advent that he has glaring weaknesses and is positionally suspect as someone said the other day though is nonsense. 

Tremarco had the cigars out against QOS in the last game before the season was ended. 
Maybe he did, I wasn't there. Maybe he gets weaker the further he is from Inverness because he's been awful any time I've seen him here.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He actually moved to Cyprus to play there , he didnt come directly here (although I suppose it doesnt really get much more 'seaside league' than Cyprus!). For a 'never has been' premiership level full back he has almost 100 games at that level and, unlike Tremarco, didnt get relegated from it. 

At the end of the day, people can think there are half a dozen better left backs in this division than Kevin Holt if they want, its a strong position for the division. The recent advent that he has glaring weaknesses and is positionally suspect as someone said the other day though is nonsense. 

Martin Woods has more than 100 games at Premiership level and is still utter dogshite; it's not actually an achievement.

16 minutes ago, virginton said:

Martin Woods has more than 100 games at Premiership level and is still utter dogshite; it's not actually an achievement.

I didnt actually say it was. I took issue with Grant suggesting a major difference between him and Tremarco was the latter was previously a Premeirship level player. So was Holt, and not for half a dozen games but pretty much 3 seasons.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I didnt actually say it was. I took issue with Grant suggesting a major difference between him and Tremarco was the latter was previously a Premeirship level player. So was Holt, and not for half a dozen games but pretty much 3 seasons.

I'd safely presume that 95% of people who use the phrase 'Premiership level player' are making a quality judgment rather than a dry observation of their career history.  Hence the use of the word 'level' which would otherwise be redundant.  

There are hundreds if not thousands of players who have spent some time in the top flight but are not in any serious way 'Premiership level players': sub-standard jobbers like Woods and your big dreamboat Holt included. 

6 hours ago, Dele said:

How many seasons was Tremarco a regular in the Premiership? 

Am I right in thinking he managed one season before being relegated - out of four? 

According to Ict stats, Tremarco has played 102 games over 4 seasons for Ict in the premiership . Just saying