Scottish championship team of the year /BBC picker

If Iain fucking Flannigan is considered among the best players in the Championship then Scottish football shouldn't bother returning after the Covid. Just fold the 42 clubs now and try our luck at curling or shinty instead.

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Its a growing phenomenon within Scottish football fans that a player seems to have the best spell of his career at The Caley. 

Tbf that's a Saints thing too. Liam Craig the shining example.

Our signing record is decent from ICT, although McCart is maybe just so good it negates any curse. Still prone to costing chances due to going for balls he cant physically win, but that'll come.

Chat about Rooney is similar to Tade when he signed for us too. Maybe we should just chuck Rooney in a front three and just tell him to cause as much carnage as possible.

If Iain fucking Flannigan is considered among the best players in the Championship then Scottish football shouldn't bother returning after the Covid. Just fold the 42 clubs now and try our luck at curling or shinty instead.
[emoji16]
Flanny [emoji6] clearly is so considered.

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Rooney is going to be yet another player who'll be mince everywhere he plays in his career other than Inverness. Hopeless for Dunfermline in League One and QoS in the Championship, goes to ICT and suddenly turns into a competent Championship player. He'll be shite at St Johnstone and back in the Championship in a couple of years, being crap wherever he is until he finds his way back to Caley Thistle.

For various other examples of this phenomenon - some without the shite before part and just starting with good at ICT, some without leaving or going through the recovery phase yet - see the careers of James Vincent, Josh Meekings,  Miles Storey, Jordan White, Tom Walsh, Coll Donaldson, Joe Chalmers and many more.

Aware it's going OT but of all the players that have left ICT, arguably only folk like Shinnie x 2, Robson, Hayes, Rooney have done well. The vast majority seem to fall apart without their regular fix of Harry Gow and trying to insert bank cards into "funces".

Surprised Ashcroft features on the shortlist for Dunfermline, he wasn't even the second best centre half at the club this season. Aaron Comrie at right back should have been considered, Mr Consistent and Lewis Martin was good as well with his versatility.

Edited by JFPar

8 hours ago, virginton said:

Too much time spent at Cappielow. 😉

10 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Its a growing phenomenon within Scottish football fans that a player seems to have the best spell of his career at The Caley. 

Our fans noticed it a few years ago when we got promoted back to the old SPL in 2010, our players left and turned to shite at every other club. 

I think Craig Dargo leaving before the above actually, was when I noticed it, in 2007. 

Was unreal for 2 years then turned into a joke at St Mirren. And then he kind of petered out as a lower league jobber.

Edit - Sean Welsh only played about 10 games this season and was still better than nearly every midfield pick I've seen on here. 

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW he tried this with Comrie, but mentally, and physically, he was too weak for the top flight. It wasnt all Comries fault but he had a run where Jordan Jones demolished him, and then Celtic scored about 4 goals down is his side in 10 minutes. Jones destroyed him yet again and that was pretty much him done at Saints.

A season of consistent football is exactly what Comrie has needed, another season like the one he's just had and he'll be set to go back upto the prem. 

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf that's a Saints thing too. Liam Craig the shining example.

Our signing record is decent from ICT, although McCart is maybe just so good it negates any curse. Still prone to costing chances due to going for balls he cant physically win, but that'll come.

Chat about Rooney is similar to Tade when he signed for us too. Maybe we should just chuck Rooney in a front three and just tell him to cause as much carnage as possible.

Tade had already had a season of Premier league football had he not? He was also a better player than Rooney. 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

A season of consistent football is exactly what Comrie has needed, another season like the one he's just had and he'll be set to go back upto the prem. 

Tade had already had a season of Premier league football had he not? He was also a better player than Rooney. 

Comrie was miles off the top flight when he left us, the only time he looked decent was against Celtic when Ricky Foster was pretty much camped in front of him.

I wouldnt be surprised if made a career for himself, but he was too small, slow and weak last time around, so I wouldnt bet on that changing quickly.

The Tade comparison was simply folk telling us when he joined Saints that hes a physical specimen who lacks other parts of his game.

3B374885-DE05-49B3-8460-C6E833D5C744.thumb.png.658371b0c5ec40e7b756586cec91afdf.pngShortlist is absolutely dreadful.  Including some absolute jobbers and ignoring genuine contenders.  Even from just a pars perspective the fact that turner and Ashcroft are in and comrie, Dow and Martin have been missed out is incredible.  

surprised generally about how highly rated forest is. I haven’t seen anything that shows him being anymore this season then the sand dancer he’s been for the last 4/5 seasons.  Had to go in due to lack of options with bbc not including the better options. 

Considering we were absolutely rank rotten, there haven't been many players who stood out against us. If I had to pick one player it would honestly be Derek Gaston. He was excellent against us at Palmerston (as he normally is). Shankland was his usual anonymous self and Nesbit was the same in the first game and coming back from injury(?) in the second. Either way he was on the bench the second time. We gubbed Utd the first time around and the second time they scored then dug in so no one stood out in those games either. "The best midfielder in the league" - Dorrans was as anonymous as Shankland and Forrest looked as meh as he ever has. Flannigan for Alloa bossed the midfield against us in the games I remember and Cadden was really good when Morton thumped us.

Perhaps we were so shite that we dragged other teams right down with us.

Honestly can’t say I’ve been impressed by any keeper or many defenders. Flannigan in midfield for Alloa for ball retention and setting up play was excellent, Butcher tough and aggressive for United. Nisbet and Shankland standouts upfront.

For us Ashcroft isn’t our best defender. Our best players are Dow, Nisbet and Thomas/Kiltie. Martin and Comrie have been very consistent. Thought Martin was the best player on the pitch when we played Celtic.

Not a great league in terms of quality this season.

35 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Dorrans is no where near the best midfielder in the league. No matter now much the Dundee fans and the media say he is. 

Agree with this.

Obviously I didn't see him each week, but unless he was saving his best performances for games in which I never saw him, he was pretty average and didn't have much effect. He showed the odd flash of the player he was, such as a quality pass, but he did not stand out over any other midfielder playing.

40 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Dorrans is no where near the best midfielder in the league. No matter now much the Dundee fans and the media say he is. 

He SHOULD be though. His recent pedigree should suggest he's an absolute different level to the rest of the League. He hasn't stood out as far as I can see though.

Either that or 19QOS19 mis-spelled "Doran".

43 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He is though, quite easily.

Has his form been the best since arriving? Clearly not and as such he shouldn't be making anyone's lists.