WoSFL Licensing

There's also a lot of box ticking paperwork that probably no one actually cares about......otherwise they might notice it was just a copy/paste job from another club's website. (Tip - best use "Ctrl - F" to check for instances of the club's name when you use their document).

I noticed this a couple of years ago checking through some East League policy documents.

EDIT - just re-read this, I meant East League CLUB's policies.......not the actual League.

Edited by theesel1994

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If only there was some way to expand their fanbase by, I dunno, getting a license and playing in a national senior cup competition

You have to have the resources to get the licence in the first place.

It's not easy.

15 hours ago, Meadowman said:

Why are Yoker not going for their license?

Maybe being simplistic here and appreciate I don't know the process, however given the groundsharing situation with Clydebank & Yoker, is it unreasonable to think that they could have pooled resources to ensure both of them got licensed?

4 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Maybe being simplistic here and appreciate I don't know the process, however given the groundsharing situation with Clydebank & Yoker, is it unreasonable to think that they could have pooled resources to ensure both of them got licensed?

It doesn't work like that unfortunately. The club is assessed very individually, and the personnel are very specific to each club. There are multiple training courses to be completed and qualifications to be acquired on top of the absolute mountain of paperwork. Every 't' has to be crossed, every 'i' has to be dotted. If one little detail is not correct then it's no license, it's 100% compliance or nothing.

I'm unaware of what Yoker's resources are in terms of committee, but it is a helluva lot of work and requires somebody to take ownership of it and co-ordinate it from start to finish. Other clubs can help (we were indebted to several clubs for advice and templates etc), but at the end of the day there has to be a willingness and commitment of an individual club to go for it and commit fully to the process.

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

It doesn't work like that unfortunately. The club is assessed very individually, and the personnel are very specific to each club. There are multiple training courses to be completed and qualifications to be acquired on top of the absolute mountain of paperwork. Every 't' has to be crossed, every 'i' has to be dotted. If one little detail is not correct then it's no license, it's 100% compliance or nothing.

I'm unaware of what Yoker's resources are in terms of committee, but it is a helluva lot of work and requires somebody to take ownership of it and co-ordinate it from start to finish. Other clubs can help (we were indebted to several clubs for advice and templates etc), but at the end of the day there has to be a willingness and commitment of an individual club to go for it and commit fully to the process.

Good for interested clubs to know that there is some help, like this, out there. It all helps.

13 minutes ago, Dev said:

Good for interested clubs to know that there is some help, like this, out there. It all helps.

Absolutely, I'm sure any of the licensed clubs would be happy to provide help and advice to any club thinking of starting or going through the process.

3 hours ago, glensmad said:

You have to have the resources to get the licence in the first place.

It's not easy.

True but the point I was making is the number of fans isn't an issue for gaining a license (well.. apart from lower income streams and a smaller pool to raise a committee from). Bonnyton have managed it with no fanbase to speak of. If the folk behind the scenes at Yoker have the time and will it's not unobtainable despite poor crowds.

13 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

True but the point I was making is the number of fans isn't an issue for gaining a license (well.. apart from lower income streams and a smaller pool to raise a committee from). Bonnyton have managed it with no fanbase to speak of. If the folk behind the scenes at Yoker have the time and will it's not unobtainable despite poor crowds.

Don't forget the financial commitment as well, which starts at the £2000 application fee, plus the costs of the training courses, Disability Access appraisals, Disclosure/PVGs etc.

15 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Don't forget the financial commitment as well, which starts at the £2000 application fee, plus the costs of the training courses, Disability Access appraisals, Disclosure/PVGs etc.

What sort of sum should a club set aside for these additional items? Ball park figure?

Apart from some-one to take charge of the process roughly how many more people may be needed in order to get everything sorted and kept going after that. It cannot be a one person job - any thoughts on this sort of thing?

I assume that once the initial £2,000 has been raised and handed over to the SFA, with an initial application form, then the process itself doesn't have a time limit? Can it go on for two or three, or more, years if needs be?

34 minutes ago, Dev said:

What sort of sum should a club set aside for these additional items? Ball park figure?

Apart from some-one to take charge of the process roughly how many more people may be needed in order to get everything sorted and kept going after that. It cannot be a one person job - any thoughts on this sort of thing?

I assume that once the initial £2,000 has been raised and handed over to the SFA, with an initial application form, then the process itself doesn't have a time limit? Can it go on for two or three, or more, years if needs be?

It's hard to put a figure on it to be honest, it really depends what qualifications are already in place at the club prior to joining the process or how long these qualifications still have till they expire.

We currently have a committee of nine people, all of whom were involved in the process, some only to a minor degree and others who played a major part in the whole process. It certainly cannot be a one person job, I don't think we could have done it without the input of our entire committee.

You are correct that once the initial £2000 is paid your are in the process, and you don't need to pay it again if you are not compliant by the deadline for that particular season. It can go on until you reach compliance, the £2000 fee is really a method by the Scottish FA to filter out time wasters who apply but aren't really serious about the process, wasting the resources of the very busy Licensing Department assessors.

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

With the obvious caveats about how much time and effort each person has to offer what would be the absolute minimum number of folk involved to take on all the different roles required to gain a license out of interest?

With the obvious caveats about how much time and effort each person has to offer what would be the absolute minimum number of folk involved to take on all the different roles required to gain a license out of interest?
Again that's a difficult one to answer, as we have a few people fulfilling multiple stipulated roles.

Already seen Ryhope quit the Northern League due to lack of committee help - this possibly the biggest threat to all clubs seeking a license in Scotland. As mentioned on P&B, the ground etc is just a small part in getting licensed - as many committee people are getting older I hope younger folk step forward- for now and the future.

Glenafton are aiming to be licensed for the start of the 2023/2024 season, floodlights and a new disabled shelter will be up in the next month or so, and we have been working behind the scenes over the past 6 months or so, so shouldn't have too much still to do

Edited by Remi22