Conference Call

20 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

So despite the conferences being announced, it would appear it's not all sweetness and light quite yet.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/exclusive-shotts-plot-west-scotland-21976824

Oh dear. There has to be a line somewhere for the tier 6 league, otherwise Renfrew who were just 0.06 PPG behind Shotts could start calling for a 22 team league! And while they'd get some visiting fans, they'd probably be languishing near the bottom - maybe better to be winning things in tier 7.

If it was tier 6 conferences, Shotts would be playing Glenafton, Largs, and either Irvine Meadow/Benburb or Pollok/Rossvale/Cumbernauld - where they'd need to finish top 4 or end up in tier 7 for 2021-22.

Now they have a decent chance of finishing top of Conference A to gain promotion, up against clubs who were 9th, 10th, 15th, and 16th in their division last season.

Raging McKeown has dubbed the changes “an absolute disgrace” with the club forced to battle it out in conference A despite a fourth place finish.

“We finished fourth in the Championship and didn’t get a chance to finish our season, and now it looks like the teams who were totally gone from the top division are going to be added.

“How is it fair that Bonnyton Thistle get to go into the top flight and we don’t get the same chance? How can Rutherglen [Glencairn] and [Kirkintilloch] Rob Roy stay up? They looked like they were a certainty to go down.

“It’s really poor. Any team who had a realistic chance of getting promotion from the Championship will be frustrated just now. We don’t plan on letting this go away.”

He added: “It puts us at a real disadvantage when we try to attract players. They might have come and choose to play for us, but now fancy a shot at this new league.

“We’re going to be missing out on big travelling support as well. It’s an absolute shambles and our chairman is speaking to the other clubs to try and come up with a plan.

If Shotts had finished in the top three and been promoted with Blantyre and Darvel would they have been complaining? 

I fully accept that teams are unhappy with the new set up but they need to come up with an alternative that the SFA will agree to. 

Talking of which, have the SFA definitely agreed to the 20 team top division? 

Edited by patriot1

If Shotts had finished in the top three and been promoted with Blantyre and Darvel would they have been complaining? 
I fully accept that teams are unhappy with the new set up but they need to come up with an alternative that the SFA will agree to. 
Talking of which, have the SFA definitely agreed to the 20 team top division? 
Yes they have.

I know my own personal opinion is that although I'm sorely disappointed that the conferences right across the board didn't happen, I think we will have a better chance of competing to win the conference we are in than we might have had of a top 4 finish if we had the teams who are in the tier 6 league to compete with. As somebody posted earlier, if it had been 4 conferences you would have to be in the top 16 teams to claim a top division spot, now we only need to be joint 21st best.

One thing that could help appease folk would be quick confirmation that the 3 conference winners will be automatically promoted to tier 6.

10 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

One thing that could help appease folk would be quick confirmation that the 3 conference winners will be automatically promoted to tier 6.

https://wosfl.co.uk/tier-7-conference-update/

Each conference is outlined below. One thing that has been settled is that the winners of each Conference will be promoted to the top division for season two.

I know my own personal opinion is that although I'm sorely disappointed that the conferences right across the board didn't happen, I think we will have a better chance of competing to win the conference we are in than we might have had of a top 4 finish if we had the teams who are in the tier 6 league to compete with. As somebody posted earlier, if it had been 4 conferences you would have to be in the top 16 teams to claim a top division spot, now we only need to be joint 21st best.

That was confirmed in the announcement of the conferences :-

Each conference is outlined below. One thing that has been settled is that the winners of each Conference will be promoted to the top division for season two.
Couldn't get that link to work the other night, I had only seen the previous statement saying there would be "promotion and relegation across all 3 conferences", which isn't quite the same as saying all 3 winners will be guaranteed to go straight up.

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

So despite the conferences being announced, it would appear it's not all sweetness and light quite yet.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/exclusive-shotts-plot-west-scotland-21976824

Club 21 hahahaha. Never heard so much pish in my life. Club 21 was never getting promoted in any capacity, no even a playoff place so what they going on about? 

The WoSFL could have had 28 clubs, split into two conferences of 14, to allow any club with a chance of promotion when the league was called off a chance to be in Tier 6. Two conference winners play off for the WoSFL title or some kind of split/inter conference games to make up the numbers. Would still have left the amount of clubs at that level below the SFA threshold.

I thought it was the number of teams that was the issue and not the league system that was implemented
Correct, he doesn't want more than 16. He had to be persuaded to have 17 and then 20 for a short period which then reverts to 16. There's no way he would have allowed 28.

2 hours ago, glensmad said:
2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:
I thought it was the number of teams that was the issue and not the league system that was implemented

Correct, he doesn't want more than 16. He had to be persuaded to have 17 and then 20 for a short period which then reverts to 16. There's no way he would have allowed 28.

He has the right idea then. I still can't get over this 20 club nonsense!

4 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

He has the right idea then. I still can't get over this 20 club nonsense!

Correct mate. 

Even if this was a 10 team league next season we'd struggle to finish it given circumstances. Horrible decision and terrible way for the new set up to begin. Guess it's all about preparing for football once a vaccine is found and hoping clubs survive somehow. 

1 minute ago, traffordab said:

Correct mate. 

Even if this was a 10 team league next season we'd struggle to finish it given circumstances. Horrible decision and terrible way for the new set up to begin. Guess it's all about preparing for football once a vaccine is found and hoping clubs survive somehow. 

Nah, it's nothing to do with preparing for the future. You're giving too much credit there.  It was a cowardly cop out from having to decide on relegation/promotion between the prem and the championship of last year. Disgrace.