Conference Call

3 minutes ago, juniorjunior said:

Surely if All clubs stick together they could put a stop to this? That would mean putting self interest aside and doing what’s morally right and in the best interest of the game. 

Clubs at the top have built that up over many years. Isn't it morally correct to preserve that rather than throw everyone in at the same level?

The SFA had no problem with the west superleague being the tier 6 feeder, so maybe no surprise that they have engineered something close to that sort of outcome once they gained some leverage over the process again. The SFA and LL/EoS were not on the same page during the PWG meetings, if you read the minutes that have been posted on here. The EoS and LL had to use the fact that any LL playoff rule changes needed their approval to be able to control most of what has happened over the last two years.

I am not really sure where the clubs from the lower divisions are coming from with the opposition to the "new" split.... Apart from Darvel, Blantyre & Cumbernauld, who would have been in the top league, I really don't see why the rest are so upset about things. Are they really any worse off? Please correct me if I am wrong, because it is all a bit up in the air.

2 minutes ago, DanMan said:

I am not really sure where the clubs from the lower divisions are coming from with the opposition to the "new" split.... Apart from Darvel, Blantyre & Cumbernauld, who would have been in the top league, I really don't see why the rest are so upset about things. Are they really any worse off? Please correct me if I am wrong, because it is all a bit up in the air.

End of the day, if conferences are used at tier 7 all have the opportunity to be in top division for 20-21 if they win it, and a good finish will see them in tier 7 for 20-21 anyway. I would have liked to have seen the conferences used across the board for 20-21 but hey ho, if not to be then so be it.

25 minutes ago, DanMan said:

I think it's because the smaller clubs were looking forward to some decent crowds against the top clubs. I can see why they would be upset with the plan being changed. 

10 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

I think it's because the smaller clubs were looking forward to some decent crowds against the top clubs. I can see why they would be upset with the plan being changed. 

I think a number of clubs were hoping for a once in a lifetime chance to jump right up to tier 6 of they had a successful season next year. The signings that Drumchapel and St Caddoc's are rumoured to have made suggest that is what they had in mind.

People can be disappointed, but no plans have actually been set in stone yet as the WoSFL made clear that the final structure would only be decided after consulting the accepted clubs. Even without the SFA intervening , this could have ended up being the structure if enough clubs pushed for it. However, with the SFA only intervening now and not making this point in some of the meetings they even chaired, does show how little they care about the lower levels of the game.

There is still a choice to be made though, they could keep the WoSFL out of the pyramid for the first season and do conferences across the board for example. However, I don't think this is a bad structure for the first season, the WRJFA superleague clubs + Bonnyton on tier 6 and all others in conferences on tier 7 with 3 tier 6 and 12 tier 7 places up for grabs for the 50 clubs. The remaining 35 clubs can form tier 8 for 2021/22, with the possiblity to split it between tier 8 & 9 for 2022.

8 minutes ago, Pundeavon said:

I think a number of clubs were hoping for a once in a lifetime chance to jump right up to tier 6 of they had a successful season next year. The signings that Drumchapel and St Caddoc's are rumoured to have made suggest that is what they had in mind.

So they now need to overspend for two seasons rather than one.

8 minutes ago, Pundeavon said:

Except they wouldn't have been jumping anywhere. The WoSFL was the first time there was a West of Scotland pyramid league and was an opportunity for everyone to make their best go of it.

If I understand correctly, the SFA only want to administer discipline at Tier 6 in the West, or so they say, and have used this to move Super Premier and Bonnyton into Tier 6 creating a 17 team League. No one wants to offend anyone on the conference call and come up with a 20 team Tier 6 League. Presumably for one season only, meaning 7 teams get relegated and the 3 Conference winners come up.  The practicality of this, particularly when no one knows when the season will start, is difficult. 

Why don't the Clubs have the balls to relegate the bottom 3 Clubs based on the league positions calculated on average points? Promote the top 3 and go with 17 for this season and relegate 4 teams to get back to 16 teams the following season. 

If Covid delays the start of the season, play everyone once or have a split after 16 games depending on start date. 

9 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

So they now need to overspend for two seasons rather than one.

They can still reach a 16 club tier six in 2021-22 after one season in a conference format. Only difference is that they need to win the conference outright now rather than being in the top 4. Given who won't be in the tier 7 conferences the odds on doing that may not be so different.

14 minutes ago, the rambler said:

If I understand correctly, the SFA only want to administer discipline at Tier 6 in the West, or so they say, and have used this to move Super Premier and Bonnyton into Tier 6 creating a 17 team League. No one wants to offend anyone on the conference call and come up with a 20 team Tier 6 League. Presumably for one season only, meaning 7 teams get relegated and the 3 Conference winners come up.  The practicality of this, particularly when no one knows when the season will start, is difficult. 

Why don't the Clubs have the balls to relegate the bottom 3 Clubs based on the league positions calculated on average points? Promote the top 3 and go with 17 for this season and relegate 4 teams to get back to 16 teams the following season. 

If Covid delays the start of the season, play everyone once or have a split after 16 games depending on start date. 

You do understand that the WEST region was declared nearly 3 weeks ago. Once declared that's it an association cannot and won't go back on a declared position. 

The sfa as the governing body know this and made a decision from that.

The sfa rom the start only wanted to administrate ties 6 in the west that all got lost in the furore. 

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

End of the day, if conferences are used at tier 7 all have the opportunity to be in top division for 20-21 if they win it, and a good finish will see them in tier 7 for 20-21 anyway. I would have liked to have seen the conferences used across the board for 20-21 but hey ho, if not to be then so be it.

I dont think hey ho will cut it with clubs who have started to prepare for the new season and the anticipated conference set-up in good faith. 

The rather controversial end to the last season was obviously not decided with consequences in terms of membership of the top tier of West Premier ( or whatever the league will be called ) as a consideration. If it had then they would've called promotion and relegation - with more gnashing and wailing as a result. 

Status Quo plus Bonnyton - with the caveat of what happens by way of transition to following season - probably suits my club. However my own feeling is that to start the new set-up with ill will and lack of transparency or fairness - as well as the impression that some clubs had worked away in the background to make this come about - does not a good start make.

To alleviate the situation somewhat it would seem reasonable to come to an arrangement that; does not penalise the clubs that should have been promoted at end of last season; makes clear what role was played by clubs to lobby for a change to what seemed to be the accepted set-up ( ie conferences ) or alternatively to confirm that this did not happen and therefore clear the air a bit; move quickly to confirm and get agreement from all relevant parties on how the arrangement will work ongoing and let clubs work away to that end ... 

Not an auspicious start to the New World

Edited by BANKIEBILL

32 minutes ago, Pundeavon said:

Not the best model to adopt in football. There have been many examples of this cheque book waving in the Juniors. Never lasts.

The clubs you mentioned have been very silly boys to do this before everything settled down.

As disappointed as clubs may be, can they say that this current situation is a surprise? This was surely always on the cards when clubs agreed to move together? (spots and change and all that)

Clubs were sold conferences, that's changed. Not a great start to the new set up.

28 minutes ago, the rambler said:

thats common sense so that wont happen in all probability