Conference Call

43 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

He was defending people badmouthing his club. The response to my post perhaps shows why it was worth bring up, that anti-semitism was seen as 'fair game'. Well it is not.

It was a horrendous post from yourself imo. A cheap shot at trying to sully the name of a club with a fantastic name in the game. 

To bring some balance i will lower myself to this level since it seems fair game on here i've been to newlandfield numerous times witnessed alcohol in the ground,  drug taking,  casual homophobia,  and sectarian shouts . 

Since a clydebank fans seems to be taking high ground i've witnessed cowardly violence by a fan of that club , anti english remarks, casual homophobia, and language thrown at officials that belongs in the dark ages. 

Since mud has been thrown a bit of balance and exposure of other clubs needs to be shown also. 

One thing to add while thinking about all this debate. Was discussing at the weekend that all these moves have actually unfairly hit the championship clubs. They have gone with having 3 opportunities to get into the top league to one and if they end up with, say, St Cadocs who are investing quite heavily then could see their chances hurt. If we are using the model which was in place last season should we not keep the entire structure across all levels and just do away with the conference idea?

Two points in reply.

1. It hasn't yet been decided how many promotion places will be on offer from the conferences next season. (Although I agree it is likely to be one.) So that is still 3 promotion places next season.

2. Had the Premier teams been in the conferences, they would likely have hoovered up most of the 3 or 4 places on offer for the top league. So the way I see it, more clubs further down the leagues will now have genuine hopes of a promotion challenge next season. And, if they don't quite make it, they'll be in a tier 7 league the following season with (likely) 3 promotion places on offer.

37 minutes ago, glensmad said:

2. Had the Premier teams been in the conferences, they would likely have hoovered up most of the 3 or 4 places on offer for the top league. So the way I see it, more clubs further down the leagues will now have genuine hopes of a promotion challenge next season. And, if they don't quite make it, they'll be in a tier 7 league the following season with (likely) 3 promotion places on offer.

If it was all in conferences to get into the top league would in theory require you to be one of the 16 best teams in the structure. With the theoretical 20 best teams removed you now only need to be the 21st best team to get in the top division (and possibly the 22nd and 23rd best team as well).

IMO its easier to get in the top league now for the "smaller" clubs

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

He was defending people badmouthing his club. The response to my post perhaps shows why it was worth bring up, that anti-semitism was seen as 'fair game'. Well it is not.

You won't get any argument on that last point from me. However, I still don't see the relevance or the need to bring it up in this thread.

Edited by jimbaxters

Couple of points. There are already two clubs in East Ren both closer to Newton Mearns than Pollok are. There are a lot of good comparisons with BSC. They will play outside their area and I think will (initially at least) struggle to get a fan base while spending above their means.

Will be interesting where they are looking at long term for a ground. Newton Mearns doesn’t have a lot of space for ground development as most land is developed for housing and land prices are huge for the area.

?

The pavilion and changing areas at Crookfur playing fields in Newton Mearns are currently being rebuilt. There are two grass parks there with plenty of space for the closest one to be developed into a 4G pitch if the money was found.

13 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

If it was all in conferences to get into the top league would in theory require you to be one of the 16 best teams in the structure. With the theoretical 20 best teams removed you now only need to be the 21st best team to get in the top division (and possibly the 22nd and 23rd best team as well).

IMO its easier to get in the top league now for the "smaller" clubs

"Actually...."

Depends on the relative strength of the conferences. I know we have to presume they're all equal and will be as close as equal as possible depending on last year's standings but at part time level clubs can jump/drop in quality year to year and who knows how COVID19 will affect different clubs. Luck of the draw will play a big part and conference A, for instance, might have a handful of teams who would all have won Conference B. There'll be a few surprises and clubs that haven't been in the top end of the juniors for a while suddenly looking up rather than down (for a season at least). Especially if the EoS conferences are anything to go by

4 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

You won't get any argument on that last point from me. However, I still don't see the relevance or the need to bring it up in this thread.

The post subsequent to mine (you can click the wee arrow in top left of the quoted post) from Bankie Bill said:

"I dont pretend to be a victim dont be stupid. I have stopped going to Beechwood as something happens everytime I go. Some incident ... some argument and I just cant be arsed with it anymore."

I was adding a highly unpleasant experience, an incident, I had of going to Beechwood as the Talbot poster I quoted was responding in turn to that. Such is the issue of a non-linear forum thread!

Not sure deflection was the way I'd have gone in response to this btw.

3 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

"Actually...."

Depends on the relative strength of the conferences. I know we have to presume they're all equal and will be as close as equal as possible depending on last year's standings but at part time level clubs can jump/drop in quality year to year and who knows how COVID19 will affect different clubs. Luck of the draw will play a big part and conference A, for instance, might have a handful of teams who would all have won Conference B. There'll be a few surprises and clubs that haven't been in the top end of the juniors for a while suddenly looking up rather than down (for a season at least). Especially if the EoS conferences are anything to go by

You think it will be 'luck of the draw'? It will be seeded surely?

1 minute ago, cmontheloknow said:

Oh yeah it will be seeded but a club seeded high, based on last season's performance, might be about to have a year of cost cutting and have a nightmare. Likewise someone like Drumchapel, seeded low, might be about to throw money or a number of other factors inbetween. Inverkeithing HS, for instance, might begrudge that one slight difference could have seen them challenge for Conference A instead of lagging behind Tynecastle in Conference B.

5 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Oh yeah it will be seeded but a club seeded high, based on last season's performance, might be about to have a year of cost cutting and have a nightmare. Likewise someone like Drumchapel, seeded low, might be about to throw money or a number of other factors inbetween. Inverkeithing HS, for instance, might begrudge that one slight difference could have seen them challenge for Conference A instead of lagging behind Tynecastle in Conference B.

And there's little way of alleviating that so clubs will just have to suck it up. A team who was going to be good enough for promotion in 2020-21 in the existing championship is still likely to be a favroute to win their section.

But this is all a bit irrelevant if Rod Petrie and Dr McLean's views are where we're going - no semi pro football at all until whenever ("2021. Or more than that").

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52513689

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/dr-john-maclean-discusses-the-life-changing-impact-of-covid-19/

Edited by cmontheloknow

13 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

The post subsequent to mine (you can click the wee arrow in top left of the quoted post) from Bankie Bill said:

"I dont pretend to be a victim dont be stupid. I have stopped going to Beechwood as something happens everytime I go. Some incident ... some argument and I just cant be arsed with it anymore."

I was adding a highly unpleasant experience, an incident, I had of going to Beechwood as the Talbot poster I quoted was responding in turn to that. Such is the issue of a non-linear forum thread!

Not sure deflection was the way I'd have gone in response to this btw.

Deflection? I would have achieved that easier by not quoting your post and leaving it lie.

The point I'm (trying) to make is that raising such an issue (and I have no way of denying it, so not attempting to) is as bad as a poster initiating any prejudice in a post. By way of illustration of this, your mention of anti-semitism is the first of it's kind in this thread. I'm sorry but reasonable and knowledgable poster though you are, this is blatant shithousery

9 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

By way of illustration of this, your mention of anti-semitism is the first of it's kind in this thread. I'm sorry but reasonable and knowledgable poster though you are, this is blatant shithousery

Do you mean we should turn a blind eye to anti-semitism?

36 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

And what do you want done now exactly??  A comment made by a ex committee man made about an incident 15 years ago. 

I heard a out of his face pollok fan come out with all sorts of vile stuff just this season . 

Some truly horrendous shouts at Clydebank and random acts of intimidation and violence outside that ground in the car park 

See this is what happens when you make these kind of comments it starts mud slinging where nobody comes out of it looking good no need whatsoever to go down that route on a thread like this. 

Edited by caliy

There will definitely be an element of "luck of the draw", given the nomadic nature of non league players from season to season. Seedings help a little, but there's no perfect solution.

Looking at the EoS as the most recent example, season 1 and the conference's were seeded, but most people thought Conference B was "the toughest" on paper.

2 years on and:

- Both EoS league champions have come from conference B (Bonnyrigg and Bo'ness), with one of those finishing second in the Lowland this season.

- 3 of the 4 remaining "Top 5" conference B sides (other than Bonnyrigg) finished in the top 6 of the Premier this season. Only Crossgates (who were a low seed in year 1 but the years surprise side to make the premier) and Sauchie (who were best 6th place team across the 3 conferences in year 1) finished outside the top 6

- No Conference B sides in relegation places in the Premier at the stop point.

- Both T7 conference winners this season were from conference B

Looking at the T7 conferences this season, when Eyemouth dropped out to be replaced by Kinnoull Conference A looked a little stronger on paper despite the seeding system. Results of the inter conference games back that up (57%-43% or something along those lines)

Obviously all the conference's had strong teams and weaker teams both seasons, but the seeding approach in the EoS still definitely had an element of luck of the draw about it.

Looking ahead to next season s another example, just look at Craigroyston. No wins this year and will be a lower seed as a result next, but the signings announced already by the new manager showing they will likely be contenders at the top, despite being seeded as the weakest existing EoS side.

52 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Wow! There's something about that term which turns everything into a witch hunt.

In the interest of clarity I do not think we should turn a blind eye to anti-semitism or any other type or prejudice for that matter. For the meaning behind my earlier posts read them properly.

Edited by jimbaxters

3 hours ago, glensmad said:

Two points in reply.

1. It hasn't yet been decided how many promotion places will be on offer from the conferences next season. (Although I agree it is likely to be one.) So that is still 3 promotion places next season.

Have to agree with that point. If anything it gives clubs such as Renfrew, St Rochs, Arthurlie, Kilsyth, etc a real chance for something to play for, on the other structure I personally dont think they would finish above Talbot, Glenafton, Pollok etc over the course of a season. 

I would like to see 3 going straight up and then a play off between the runners up and 15th, 16th, 17th placed teams of the top league. 

Ie,

Straight up -

Arthurlie (Winners of A)

Renfrew (Winners of B)

St Cadocs (Winner of C)

2 leg play off

Rob roy v St Rochs(runner up)

Troon v Kilsyth (runner up)

Glencairn v Gartcairn (runner up)

Edited by Juniorfootball123

3 minutes ago, Crazy Feet said:

Surprised there hasn't been much talk on here about Rod Petrie's comments at the weekend regarding grassroots football not happening until 2021. Do you not expect this to effect the semi pro / junior ranks? 

Aye, I heard about that. Was he on Off The Ball?