Conference Call

10 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Cumbernauld colts, Edusport and BSC Glasgow are west

Yes - and East Kilbride - that's what I said - 4 West teams.  But at the beginning, there was only 1 (EK).  4 out of 16 isn't many.   And all the West teams were essentially new to most people.  East Kilbride 2010, Caledonian Braves 2011, BSC Glasgow 2014.  Only Cumbernauld Colts had any history (I believe they played in amateur/youth competitions before joining).  They applied to the LL as it was the only outlet for senior league football south of the HL/LL divide, not specifically because they wanted to play in a bigger Lowland area.

Edited by mcruic

1 hour ago, mcruic said:

Yeah they just went with a straightforward model, but this made the conferences unequal
Numbering all clubs 1-39 as above, average strength is as follows (where 50 is average, 100 is best possible (i.e. teams 1-13) and 0 is worst (teams 27-39 in one conference).

With serpentine system
Conference A; 50.3
Conference B; 49.7
Conference C; 50.0

Without serpentine system (what actually happened)
Conference A; 53.8
Conference B; 50.0
Conference C; 46.2

Essentially, it made Conference A 17% harder than Conference C, and 8% harder than Conference B, and made Conference B 8% harder than Conference C.

Except they made Hawick RA a top seed as they were relegated out the LL and they were abysmal, and got relegated again! So Conf A was weaker on that basis.

How's that resurrecting the West Region coming along? I think I heard someone say as many as 14 clubs were disgruntled....more than enough for a League.

Deadline for payments was yesterday wasn't it? I wonder how many clubs asked for their money back or didn't pay in the first place.

55 minutes ago, mcruic said:

The Lowland League, when it was set up, largely catered for what is known informally as "the East".  The West didn't figure. 

Is that really the case? IIRC anyone could apply, and I imagine if the likes of Auchinleck had they'd have been welcomed with open arms. If a few of the West Juniors had applied, maybe the likes of Edusport and BSC would have been rejected.  Talbot could have been in the 3rd or 4th tier by now.

How's that resurrecting the West Region coming along? I think I heard someone say as many as 14 clubs were disgruntled....more than enough for a League.
Deadline for payments was yesterday wasn't it? I wonder how many clubs asked for their money back or didn't pay in the first place.
It's not happening at all.

12 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Is that really the case? IIRC anyone could apply, and I imagine if the likes of Auchinleck had they'd have been welcomed with open arms. If a few of the West Juniors had applied, maybe the likes of Edusport and BSC would have been rejected.  Talbot could have been in the 3rd or 4th tier by now.

They might have been welcomed had they applied  - but only 1 West team was in the opening set up.  So from the start, it was East-heavy, whether or not that was the intention, and has been since then due to there being no West feeder league and not many clubs from the SoS seeking the step up, effectively making the EoS (100% east) the sole feeder.  In the first 2 seasons, 2 West clubs applied, but since then, no new entries.  Where would East Kilbride/Cumbernauld Colts have played had they been relegated?  The South of Scotland League?  BSC Glasgow could just about have thought about the EoS League, being based in Alloa.

Edited by mcruic

12 minutes ago, glensmad said:
57 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

It's not happening at all.

Well imagine my shock.

5 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

A very nice middle aged Talbot man was chatting with myself and three current Lok committee members on our way back to car after game mid 00s. As we parted, he advised to not forget to 'turn the gas on' when we got home. More anti-semites at Beechwood than at a Labour council meeting! And none of us Jewish either but you have this fixation on Lok being a Jewish club. That kind of shit gives you a bad rep.

It all started back in the 80's with regular jousts between the Pollok fanzine "Fulton One Nil" and the Talbot's "3 in a Row. Talbot fans were tattie munchers, country boys, carrot cruchers and shit kickers while the Pollok fans were called the Sons of Abraham due to the fact the Talbot fanzine rightly or wrongly thought Newlandsfield was next to a large Jewish community. No malice in it or anything sinister about it, just banter between two great Junior publications.

1 hour ago, theesel1994 said:

Im led to believe everyone is on board with the WoS now

15 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Undoubtedly thats true they would have been welcomed with open arms as most had not gained a licence.thats why the lowland league staggered it in take 12 then 14 until it reached 16 clubs.but again the all in or none in was said again along with the quote--- none of our clubs are really interested in the pyramid.as it will not last any lenght of time.

1 hour ago, mcruic said:

You misunderstand me - perhaps my clumsy wording - I am advocating getting rid of it altogether, not making it solely for East clubs.  I also said East, not East Coast.

So what I meant was - Lowland League > splits into East League/West League (both at same level as Highland League).

I think it was a bit of both, we are broadly in agreement. I do think we need to get tier 6 up and running as it should before it's possible to get tier 5 sorted out, and that will take a few years yet.

7 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

It all started back in the 80's with regular jousts between the Pollok fanzine "Fulton One Nil" and the Talbot's "3 in a Row. Talbot fans were tattie munchers, country boys, carrot cruchers and shit kickers while the Pollok fans were called the Sons of Abraham due to the fact the Talbot fanzine rightly or wrongly thought Newlandsfield was next to a large Jewish community. No malice in it or anything sinister about it, just banter between two great Junior publications.

Nothing to see here, move along.