Great teams that won nothing

England's Golden Generation probably should have won Euro 2004.  A great squad of individual players who couldn't play together. What a shame.

I’d have said they had a great chance at every tournament until the 2010 World Cup. A mix of ego and poor management cost them every time.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

I’d have said they had a great chance at every tournament until the 2010 World Cup. A mix of ego and poor management cost them every time.

Especially whatever manager they had trying to shoe-horn all their best central midfielders into the starting XI. A flat midfield 4 consisting entirely of centre mids isn’t gonna do much for you.

16 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

A flat midfield 4 consisting entirely of centre mids isn’t gonna do much for you.

With the one who can actually take a game and turn it on its head by his sheer determination alone hooked out on the left was a monumental f**k up. All the while wee Frankie toddlers about in CM doing heehaw.

4 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Especially whatever manager they had trying to shoe-horn all their best central midfielders into the starting XI. A flat midfield 4 consisting entirely of centre mids isn’t gonna do much for you.

What was weird is that they appointed a foreign manager to play the most rigid English system imaginable - '4, 4, f**king 2'.

The 4-5-1/4-3-3 was just becoming fashionable and if they'd appointed a more progressive manager I think they would have won something. A midfield of Scholes or Carrick sitting with Gerrard and Lampard in the centre with licence to get forward would have been brilliant. Beckham on the right and probably Rooney on the left cutting in behind a central striker. Their back 4 was incredible throughout that time too. Having said that, if they had beaten Portugal twice on penalties in '04 and '06 they would probably have won something, particularly the Euros. The margins are tiny. Plus I think if Rooney hadn't got injured in that tournament they would have won it despite the deficiencies in their system.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Guest JTS98
On 30/04/2020 at 02:21, Crawford Bridge said:

Depor's 1995 cup win gave us the fantastic spectacle of the cup final being rained off after 79 minutes.

81,000 went back to the Bernabeu a few days later to watch Depor and Valencia play the last 11 minutes.

On 02/05/2020 at 19:50, Diamonds are Forever said:

The 4-5-1/4-3-3 was just becoming fashionable and if they'd appointed a more progressive manager I think they would have won something. A midfield of Scholes or Carrick sitting with Gerrard and Lampard in the centre with licence to get forward would have been brilliant. Beckham on the right and probably Rooney on the left cutting in behind a central striker. Their back 4 was incredible throughout that time too. Having said that, if they had beaten Portugal twice on penalties in '04 and '06 they would probably have won something, particularly the Euros. The margins are tiny. Plus I think if Rooney hadn't got injured in that tournament they would have won it despite the deficiencies in their system.

AED9E270-4471-4C17-BABD-B7F2EC5FEC83.jpeg