Great teams that won nothing

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Deportivo had a great team but they did win stuff - in 1995 they won the Copa del Rey and they did win the league a few years later.  I think they;'ve gone bankrupt since?

Did the Deportivo side with Roy Makaay win anything?

Spain used to have some great "unfashionable" sides for a while.

Deportivo, Villarreal and Valencia all had great teams in that decade I'm sure.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was in the team that won La Liga.

1 hour ago, afca32 said:

A bit off-topic but in 2003/04 the Spanish Champions League entrants were Real Madrid, Real  Sociedad, Celta Vigo and Deportivo. Changed days.

Deportivo were brilliant in those days though, got to the semis that year losing 1-0 to Porto from a penalty, who went on to win it. They also won the title in Spain a year or two before then.  Barca used to finish like 7th regularly for a wee while.

Edited by Carnoustie Young Guvnor

43 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Thanks very much that was brilliant. Brought back some great memories Djalminha what a player.  And it mentions the man Utd game, the winner from naybet was one of my favourite goals. Just the reaction from the fans he drilled it first time sidefoot but hit it hard and the place went mental.  Unbelievable side for a few years.

9 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Thanks very much that was brilliant. Brought back some great memories Djalminha what a player.  And it mentions the man Utd game, the winner from naybet was one of my favourite goals. Just the reaction from the fans he drilled it first time sidefoot but hit it hard and the place went mental.  Unbelievable side for a few years.

That channel has loads of good stuff but make sure you have a few hours spare to disappear down a wormhole.

17 hours ago, Dele said:

Didn't Betis have a very good side at the time as well? 

They spent something like £20million on Denilson in 1998 but he never really delivered. I'm sure Betis were expected to challenge for the title in those days - they were generally defensively sound and had Denilson and Joaquin down each wing. All i remember about them is fairly dour low-scoring games tbh. 

11 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Djalminha was mental, but a brilliant player. He was just unfortunate to be a left-back at the same time as Roberto Carlos so didn't get much international football. Trying THIS baws-oot nonsense at 0-0 vs Madrid is quite something though. 

He was also one of the ridiculous names associated with Dundee during the Bonetti season when we were equally hilarously linked with Edgar Davids. It was total nonsense of course. 

22 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Loved watching Villarreal with Riquelme running the show, and Senna doing the dirty work for him. Forlan up top with Rossi coming in at the end. Perhaps not a shock they didn't win anything but great to watch  and loved their old ground too.

17 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Deportivo were brilliant in those days though, got to the semis that year losing 1-0 to Porto from a penalty, who went on to win it. They also won the title in Spain a year or two before then.  Barca used to finish like 7th regularly for a wee while.

In between Cruyff retiring as a player and coming back as manager Barca only won a single title, under Terry Venables.

Edited by ICTChris

On 24/04/2020 at 19:33, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

And Euro 2000, Holland were nonsense in that tournament. Better than 2008.

Their semi-final against Italy in 2000 was ridiculous. They absolutely battered Italy, had an extra man for 60 minutes plus extra-time and missed 2 penalties. Toldo in nets, plus a masterclass from Cannavaro and Nesta at the back kept it at 0-0 and then Italy won 3-1 on penalties. Holland missed 5 penalties in total, Jaap Stam hitting the moon being the highlight.

Italy were then a last minute equaliser away from winning the final. Although France won it that year they got fortunate against Portugal in the semis with a golden goal penalty, and scraped past Spain and Italy. I think that Holland side would have beaten them.

That Holland side obviously lost on penalties 2 years earlier to Brazil too. It wouldn't have taken much for Holland to have been the World Champions in 98 and European Champions in 2000 and be seen as one of the great sides. As it happened France got there instead. Margins at that level between the great sides and the rest are so small.

More generally, I'd say Holland and England are the big underachievers at International level. A lot of that comes down to being rubbish at penalties.

5 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

They spent something like £20million on Denilson in 1998 but he never really delivered. I'm sure Betis were expected to challenge for the title in those days - they were generally defensively sound and had Denilson and Joaquin down each wing. All i remember about them is fairly dour low-scoring games tbh. 

Djalminha was mental, but a brilliant player. He was just unfortunate to be a left-back at the same time as Roberto Carlos so didn't get much international football. Trying THIS baws-oot nonsense at 0-0 vs Madrid is quite something though. 

He was also one of the ridiculous names associated with Dundee during the Bonetti season when we were equally hilarously linked with Edgar Davids. It was total nonsense of course. 

I'm pretty sure he was an attacking midfielder. I remember that I watched that game.

Also around about 2003 watched one of the most amazing games ever. Depor at home to Real Madrid. Depor absolutely battered them for ninety minutes, just a complete onslaught on the Real goal for the whole game. That was the great Real team that had the world player of the year for like eight years in a row or something. Depor destroyed them for ninety minutes Real barely touched the ball Depor passed them to death and had them pinned in their own half all game. And Real broke up the park on the counter twice, scored both times and won 2-0, absolutely incredible.

Also that clip reminded me of watching Aguero make his debut for Atletico. He had been signed halfway through the season, was only 18 and came in for.huge money like 30 million or something. They're away to Real at the Bernabeu. Late in the game 0-0 he gets brought on. Ends up getting put clean through with ten minutes to go or something, and you knew then he'd be great cause of what he did. He missed but it was the way he missed, he could have probably just scored but he didn't want to just score he wanted it to be a beautiful goal so tried to flick it over the keepers head on the run, landed on top of the net. But to have the confidence and arrogance to do that at 18 on your debut away from home in the biggest game in football against the best team in the world, you knew he'd be special.